Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2004 2:30:37 PM EDT
seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001927525_anderson13m.html

Talk of defecting shown in video

By Ray Rivera
Seattle Times staff reporter

FORT LEWIS ? In a covered parking garage near Seattle Center, National Guard Spc. Ryan Anderson sat in an SUV with two men who spoke with Arabic accents.

"What organization do you think we are?" said one of the men, an undercover agent calling himself Mohammed.

"I believe you are what Americans call al-Qaida," Anderson replied.

Before the hourlong conversation was over, all of it captured by a hidden camera in early February, Anderson spoke of the possibility of defecting to join the terrorist group. He also offered to help train al-Qaida fighters to take out U.S. convoys in Iraq and shared ways of destroying U.S. tanks and killing their crews, according to the video.

When the other agent asked about Humvees equipped with added armor, Anderson replied that the vehicles were still vulnerable, particularly the windshield.

"It would be very easy to kill a driver, or the crew inside," he said.

The damaging video was shown yesterday in day one of a two-day preliminary hearing at Fort Lewis to determine if Anderson should face trial by court-martial on charges of attempting to aid the enemy. The hearing, known as an Article 32, continues today.

If convicted, he could face the death penalty, though no one has been put to death in the military in more than 40 years.

Anderson, a 26-year-old Muslim convert from Lynnwood, was arrested Feb. 12, just weeks before he was to deploy to Iraq with the Washington state National Guard's 81st Armored Brigade, where he served as a tank crewman.

Anderson, wearing desert fatigues, glasses and a crew cut, sat quietly throughout the hearing taking notes and conferring with his military attorney. Family members sat in the gallery behind him.

According to testimony, Anderson first came to the attention of investigators through a Montana judge who spent her off-hours hunting for terrorists on the Internet.

Shannen Rossmiller from Conrad, Mont., testified that she was monitoring a Web site that catered to Muslim extremists when she came across a posting by an "Amid Abdul Rashid."

After a series of searches, she traced the name to Anderson and, posing as a Muslim extremist, exchanged e-mails with him. Learning that he was a member of the military, and believing that he might be a threat, she contacted authorities.

Anderson told her "he was curious if a brother fighting for the wrong side could defect," Rossmiller testified.

Once alerted by Rossmiller, the FBI contacted military-intelligence officers, who set up a sting operation and traded dozens of text messages with Anderson. "Are you with us brother?" they asked in one. "Every step of the way, Inshallah (if God wills)," he replied, according to transcripts of the messages shown in court.

On Feb. 8, as his unit was undergoing pre-deployment training at Fort Lewis, Anderson met with undercover Officer Ricardo Romero at a bookstore in nearby Lakewood, Romero testified.

Romero said he asked if Anderson could provide a passport photo and a military manual. Anderson agreed, Romero said.

The next day, Anderson met with Romero and another agent near Seattle Center.

The prosecutors, Maj. Chris Jenks and Maj. Timothy MacDonnell, showed a videotape of the encounter.

On the tape, Anderson told the men that his mother was Jordanian and that he had converted to Islam because he "found no faith in Christian teachings and looked for a way to feel the emptiness."

He showed them schematics of M1A1 Abrams tanks pulled from an unclassified Defense Department Web site and pointed out vulnerabilities in the tanks.

After being asked why he would want to help al-Qaida, Anderson replies on the video: "While I love my country, I think the leaders have taken this horrible road. I have no belief in what the American Army has asked me to do. They have sent me to die."

The prosecutors also called two civilian witnesses who work for the military. They testified that Anderson's statements about the Abrams tank were accurate.

Under cross-examination by Anderson's lawyer, Maj. Joseph Morse, Romero acknowledged that some of the things Anderson told him, such as his mother being from Jordan, were untrue.

Romero also acknowledged that Anderson said things that were exaggerated or untrue, such as his claim of being a qualified pilot and holding a concealed-weapons permit.

Morse did not call any witnesses yesterday. Anderson and his attorney have declined interviews.

Among those at Anderson's hearing was Capt. James Yee, a Muslim chaplain at Fort Lewis who until recently was embroiled in an investigation of suspected espionage at the Guantánamo Bay detention camp in Cuba. The Army has since dismissed all charges against Yee. Yee refused to say, and Army officials refused to disclose, why he attended the hearing.

old thread that discussed him
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=228578&page=1
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Rebel Gray Huh?The POS should have his head sawed off with a  broken beer bottle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
pussbag
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

He showed them schematics of M1A1 Abrams tanks pulled from an unclassified Defense Department Web site and pointed out vulnerabilities in the tanks.

Jesus, scary.  Dumb question: Do the tank crews know the Abrams intimately enough to provide info on killing the crews?   Aren't (some of) the capabilities of the tank highly classified?  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Quoted:
Dumb question: Do the tank crews know the Abrams intimately enough to provide info on killing the crews?   Aren't (some of) the capabilities of the tank highly classified?  

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe they will hang his sorry ass?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#6]
That's pretty low. Much worse than I supposed. I had sort of imagined a perverse juvenile fantasy about getting overseas and running away to live a fantasy of Lawrence of Arabia gone wholly native. I was not prepared for the unspeakable horror of a man relating the best way to kill his own comrades. Had he had a change of heart and deserted, fled to the Middle East, cast his lot with the Islamicists, and used what knowledge he had to further his cause, that would have been a bad choice, and one I would loathe in substance, but one that would be hard to criticize procedurally any more than I could think loathesome an al-Qaeda operative who came to Jesus and jumped the fence to help America hunt down the rest of his former crew. This is a horse of a different color. He was trying kill hos own current comrades-in-arms, and to attack a nation to which he had sworn an unrevoked oath of allegiance.

In the Executive Wing of Hell, in a corner office overlooking the lake of fire, Satan leans back in his leather chair. He stares absently out through the glass at the writhing souls and leaping demons. He strokes his chin and silently rehearses.

"Dudes, guess what! You have a new pal!"

Naaah, too breezy.

"Mr. Iscariot, Mr. Arnold, Mr. Quisling, I have the pleasure to introduce to you Mr. Ryan Anderson of Washington State in the United States of . . . ."

Hmmm. Too formal.

"Judas, Benedict, Vidkun, this is Ryan. He's one of yours. Show him the ropes, will you?"

That's it.

Turning to the intercom, Satan buzzes the outer office.

"Sir?"

"Beelzebub, I've figured out to handle the arrival. Go ahead and start the paperwork on the Anderson matter, please."

"Yes sir."
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]

So what will he get ??  

Life in prison ?  20yrs ??
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm afraid I know the answer to this one, but I have to confirm . . . Rebel Gray is an ar15.com name, right?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy shit, what a total fucktard.

Look at the bright side.....the libs and the media WON'T use this as fuel for an anti-ARFCOM type agenda....they will probably ADOPT him!  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#10]
yes

Quoted:
I'm afraid I know the answer to this one, but I have to confirm . . . Rebel Gray is an ar15.com name, right?

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So what will he get ??  

Life in prison ?  20yrs ??

What'll he get?  Killed in prison...

A federal prison is still packed with Americans ... and nothing is worse than a traitor ... among proven felons no less ... maybe nature will take its course

A sad situation, no doubt about that
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#12]
You never know who the enemy is. Hang his ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top