Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2002 9:41:17 AM EDT
[url]http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20020426-3530826.htm[/url]

Two Russian strategic nuclear bombers flew within 37 miles of Alaska recently in a rare probe of U.S. air defenses, according to U.S. intelligence officials.
    The Tu-95 Bear H bombers were part of a group of four bombers that deployed recently to the military air base near Anadyr, a port in the northern Far East of Russia. The bombers can carry up to 16 Kh-55 strategic cruise missiles, which are equipped with 200-kiloton nuclear warheads.
    The bombers flew north along the coast of Alaska. The Air Force scrambled two F-15 jet fighters to intercept the propeller-driven bombers. The F-15s shadowed the bombers for a short distance and then broke off.
    It was the first time since September 11 that the Russian military made a run at U.S. air defenses. Russian military forces in the Far East were involved in strategic nuclear forces exercises when the terrorist attacks occurred. They halted the maneuvers, which U.S. military intelligence expected would have included air defense probes like the one that occurred recently.
    The Russian bomber probe took place as U.S. and Russian officials in Moscow failed to reach the terms of a new accord on strategic arms reduction. It also took place amid recent criticism by officials in Moscow of U.S. intelligence-sharing on terrorism.
    Viktor Komogorov, deputy director of Russia's Federal Security Service, formerly the domestic branch of the Soviet KGB, said Russia provided the CIA with 100 reports in February but received only 50 from the agency, the Interfax news agency reported. He criticized the CIA report as "bare facts" and said Russia's reports included terrorist plans and intentions. "This is not the kind of cooperation in resisting international terrorism that we had counted on," he said, noting that Russian requests for more U.S. intelligence were denied.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Since Sep11th, Hell I haven't heard a story like that since about 92.  I guess I never really thought about it.

Ben
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#2]
And the reason American government won't share any info is?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#3]
 This has been happening since the End of WWII.

In Europe the Game was The russians scramble fighters over the Iron Curtain and Nato scrambles fighters to intercept, back and forth once a week or sometimes twice for 50 years..

Ben
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#4]
This is a non-news item.  Do you know how many U.S. bomber crews were shot down in Russian air space during the cold war?  Quite a few.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep it up Ivan:

[url]www.merkle.com/pluto/pluto.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting link, [b]Astrogoth[/b]!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#7]
2 years ago, I was talking to some Air Force intelligence officers in a bar.  We were talking about military stuff and the conversation drifted over to the Russian bomber interceptions that happened frequently in the 80's.  One of the officers said that F-15's have been fired upon by the tail cannons of some of those bombers back then.  That amazed me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Keep it up Ivan:

[url]www.merkle.com/pluto/pluto.html[/url]
View Quote

Ja, that makes you wonder what sort of nasty, secret, things our eggheads have stowed away in the dessert today.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Ha!  Who knew the makers of my favorite beer used to make nuclear engine parts.  Never saw that one on connections!

Mike

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Dakota, you actually admit to drinking Coors? [;)]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
"I'd piss Coors if I could"
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Bears can fly pretty fast so for a big pig of a prop plane, about 570 mph.

I was on an A-3 in 1988 when we intercepted a Bear F (Maritime) a couple hundred miles off the coast of Purto Rico.  It was heading for Cuba. Lots of middle finger waving going on there.

[url] http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/bomber/tu-95.htm[/url]

BEAR H - TU-95MS -- The Tu-95MS aircraft is based on the Tu-142 and thus differs in a number of details from the TU-95. The nose of the Tu-95MS is similar to that of the Bear-C and Bear-G, but with a deeper, shorter radome, cable ducts running back along both sides of the fuselage. It lacks the 178-cm forward fuselage plug of the maritime Tu-142, and retains the shorter fin and horizontal, undrooped refuelling probe of prevoius bomber variants. The rear gun turret is a new design, with a single twin-barrelled GSh-23L cannon in place of the pair of single-barrel NR-23s carried on earlier models. After carrying out successful tests, the first of which was in September 1979, series production started in 1981. With the reopening of the BEAR production line, the Soviets began producing a new, upgraded variant of the BEAR turboprop bomber, thereby increasing their long-range bomber force. This entirely new variant of the BEAR bomber - the BEAR H - became the launch platform for the long-range Kh-55 [AS-15] air-launched cruise missile. The initial version carried Kh-55 air-to-surface missiles located in the bomb bay on a catapult. This was the first new production of a strike version of the BEAR airframe since the 1960s. With the BEAR H in series production, the decline in the inventory of BEAR aircraft, characteristic of the late 1970s, was reversed. By 1988 BEAR H bombers were regularly observed simulating attacks against North America.

BEAR H6 - TU-95MS6 -- The version designated as TU-95MS6 aircraft carried Kh-55 air-to-surface missiles located in the bomb bay on a rotary launcher.

BEAR H16 - TU-95MS16 -- The TU-95MS16 carried six missiles inside the fuselage and 10 missiles underneath the wings. Three underwing pylons are fitted under each inner wing panel, the outboard pair carrying three missiles and the other two single missiles.

[img]http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/bomber/bear-h1.jpg[/img]

Quoted:

Bears (turbo-prop) are so damn slow that they'd better launch them a week before the attack so that they're in place for the assault.

I'm glad to see that the Russians are still able to get a couple of their aircraft into the air after all these years.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top