Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/4/2004 3:04:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/4/2004 3:05:16 PM EST by ASO544]
Anyone know of any good books on this conflict? Looking for historical material involving conventinal troops and Spetnaz troops.

I guess really an overall history of the invasion.

Thanks,
ASO
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:22:00 PM EST
Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of the Largest Covert Operation in History
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:42:00 PM EST
Though it was only about a 15-20 minute read, both Shotgun News and Small Arms review ran
the same article within the last year. It was by David M. Fortier, and called Afghanistan: Lessons Learned.

Was a pretty in depth interview with a Russian soldier who was there, discussing in detail the equipment, weapons loads, tactics, and some sordid details of what both sides did to each other. Had some really good insight into how Russian troops deployed and fought there.

Small Arms Review sells back issues, and have been pretty friendly the one time I emailed
them about an issue I brought that the printer messed up (they sent a correctly printed copy
in the mail within a couple days). Might be worth 5-6 bucks to look them up on the web
and order that back issue.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:49:43 PM EST
Rambo 3 was pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:00:34 PM EST
russia got their butts handed to them
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:08:52 PM EST
The Hidden War by Artyom Borovik was a good read. It's a little heavy reading as far as style and there isn't a lot of technical info that you may be looking for. He was a Russian journalist in Afganistan.

Jihad! by Tom Carew is a very fun read. He claims to have been in the SAS and spent time on the ground in Afganistan fighting the Soviets. If half of what he writes is true, it is still a good read from the Mujahadeen perspective.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:13:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/4/2004 5:17:39 PM EST by ED_P]

Originally Posted By avengeusa:
russia got their butts handed to them

In the article I mentioned, both sides were pretty brutal to each other.

Though in head to head combat the Russians did far better than the rebels, as they had
air support and even some Night Vision, they had lingering problems of snipers
picking away at them. The soldier giving the interview said if they found
even one .303 Enfield shell in a village they would raize every structure.

He did also mention the last thing you wanted to do was get caught alive
however, as they found horrible examples of what happens then. He said they
would call in Fire support almost on top of themselves rather than get caught
alive. Thought he indicated he kept one grenade for himself just incase, as well.

The issuing of weapons was interesting. Basically you were issued a gun and weren't
to mess with the sights unless you were the armorer. You had to figure out how high
or low it shot and remember. And you were taught to aim for
the legs so as the gun climbed you could get more than one hit.

They also had to play games to get enough mags for SVD's, etc...

Top Top