Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2005 7:58:17 AM EDT
I've read some posters here have married immigrants from various nations, but has anyone married an eastern european/russian immigrant?

Or, know anyone that has?

And no, I'm not planning too, just curious and bored.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#1]
immigration.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#2]
if they give you shit, threaten to take away their green card.  Its a beautiful thing
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#3]
if they give you shit, threaten to take away their green card. Its a beautiful thing

I hear alot of stories that once they get that green card, they are GONE!  I think they can dump your ass and stay here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#4]
jet a hot jap girl... they listen to you :)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I've actually met one! She was a hottie to be honest with you. But Russian foods or maybe it was her cooking sucks! She came with her own 6 year old kid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do you mean Japanese?  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've actually met one! She was a hottie to be honest with you. But Russian foods or maybe it was her cooking sucks! She came with her own 6 year old kid.

Package deal?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Package deal?

Yep, he got one with the other.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There's a lovely Russian lady who dances at The Lodge, that I have a real crush on!

She's tells me that she is here solely to find a husband and stay!

I'd say that anyone marrying her would be (1) one lucky guy for the period of time it took for her legal status to be fixed, and (2) wondering when the Hades she was going to come back for the rest of his life!

But, as I say, that six month period would be a real ball!

Eric The(Honest)Hun

I'll come down there for an introduction.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean Japanese?  

Of course he didn't mean "Jewish American Princess"!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#13]
If you get one, make sure you pick her up quickly because she might be waiting down at the Post Office too long in that big box, and you know how hot it gets in those things.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've read some posters here have married immigrants from various nations, but has anyone married an eastern european/russian immigrant?

I had a cousin who did. He's a goofy SOB so small wonder American females kept sending him along his way. Never met the girl so I don't know if she was looking for a meal ticket or not?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Be caredful of the Russian ones. Lots of mafia black widows out there.

Been married to numerous American men who keep having "accidents" and they go home with the insurance money.

Yeah, here we've got women who marry you, then take your house, your car, and everything else that's not nailed down when they divorce you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean Japanese?  

Oh, come now. Let's not behave like DUh, shall we?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#19]
My ex-Russian wife got her green card years ago and she's still  around. Guess it all depends on the individual. Now she is going for her U.S. citizenship. Some of the food she makes I don't care for. She makes a salad made with beets and other crap. Yuck. But she makes one hell of a beef stew. Borscht is great eating too. When I was over there in the Rodina, some of the food was good, others not so good. Great tasting hotdogs. They were linked together like you see in cartoons. Ketchup I couldn't find so I used a Georgian tomato sauce which worked fine. It was funny to see them eat spagetti . Instead of spagetti sauce they put sour cream on the spagetti. My wife still does. Beer was absolutely great. No preservatives in it. My mother-in-law Olga and I used to have a couple of beers together in the evening after supper while watching Russian TV.

Great thing about my wife. She doesn't say anything about my firearms. Doesn't bother her a bit.  I can walk in the house with a new rifle and she hardly bothers to look up. One thing I will say about Russians that I know is that they are hard workers. Seems my wife is always going into work. Long hours don't bother her.  And her daughter , who I adopted over there, which is an interesting story, works graveyard shift at the old folk's home and then goes to school in the morning. She's studying to be a forensic scientist. So she's working, studying and talking care of her daughter who will turn 4yrs. old this week.

So I let it up to you decide what to do. You put your quarter in and dance to the tune that is playing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Guys,

First off this isn't aimed at anyone here, just generalization.

If you can't find a woman to be your girlfriend in your own culture, how in the hell would you expect to find it by importing it?  The facts are clear.  She will come, get a permanent resident status and she will do as all the other girls in your life did - adios.

Jeez.  I can see doingg this shit if you live in the Klondike during the gold rush when the ratio was 100 to 1 men to women.  But here and now?  You will get laid a bit but long term you will still be lonely.

Better off figuring out what kind of women LIKE you and find one of them then a sexy import that will dump you in a heartbeat.

Hell, if you need to get laid buy a ticket to Thailand and spend a few weeks in Pattaya.  ANYONE can get laid there.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I've heard good and bad about Russian brides.  The bad is that, yes, sometimes they take off as soon as they get their green cards.  Another bad thing I've heard is that they have to jump through some real hoops to get out of their country.  The good I have heard is that if you get the right one they can be very devoted and family oriented.  Most are also highly educated and just want a good husband and the opprotunity to raise a family like most normal people do.  Americans and other western men are very attractive to Russian brides because we aren't the heavy handed vodka swilling louts they are used to dealing with in Russia.

I was married to a Korean for almost 11 years and enjoyed the fact that she wasn't a head game playing, whack job, lazy, selfish, westernized, me-me-me, looking for the perfect man to take care of her, American female.  I hate to stereotype, but we have all met our share of those.  

In any case, I think some American men may have as good or better odds with women of other cultures as with American women.  What's the worst that can happen to you if it doesn't work out?  At least you tried.  

The biggest problem I had was communication.  But, she took real good care of me.  I was eating a good healty diet, and was getting laid whenever I WANTED.  The sex DID NOT stop the day after the wedding.  I also got two great sons from the relationship.  The marriage lasted longer than most but we eventually split because she thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence.  That can happen in any type marriage.

By the way, she found out the grass sucks on the other side of the fence.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#22]
yankee

I'm guessing you met your wife in a normal way - NOT from a mail order bride company?  All my statements above are aimed at those who use the leverage of a green card and disparity in money to force a foreign woman into marriage.  Those have a small chance at success IMO.

For those who actually meet women from different cultures while abroad or here the bets are off.  Those marriages have the same chance as any other to succeed.

Hell, come to think of it my wife isn't American.  We are trying to get her naturalized this year.  And I guess after 20 years it isn't a marriage of convenience.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Go to Russian area of Los Angeles and get yourself one. You'll save a few bucks flying back and forth to mother russia.

Just be careful of the greasy guys in the leather jackets with terrible accents.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#24]
We have our problems like everybody else, but all in all I am satisfied. Afew years ago my wife had breast cancer...she's cured now...but she took the whole miserable thing like a trooper. She also suffers from migraines. You would never know it. Seldom complains. Goes to work when if I felt like her, I would be in bed. Watches her money. Doesn't like to owe money to anyone. Not a stingy person at all. I have to keep telling her not to buy me stuff.  One thing about Russian women, they are very protective of their kids.  Said the wrong thing about Kristina, her daughter, a few times and boy did I ever hear about that.

As far as cultural differences , there are very few. If you accept the fact that they lived under Communist rule for 75+ years. If you met my daughter..any takers?...you would never know that she is Russian. Speaks Engish like an American. They fit into our society very easily. And they are very well educated.  My wife has 3 degrees. Athough I laugh when she tells me about her degree in Economics. Yeah, right. If you ever go to Russia you should never have any problems with the ordinary people. as a matter of fact they were very protective of me. I never felt that I was in danger.  Never heard a  derogatory remark about Americans while I was there. In fact all I heard was America is great and we love Americans. Amazing! And my wife had me all over the place in St. Petersburg and her  home town of Vyborg. Got to see where Lenin hid out from the Kerensky govt. when he fled to Finland. Vyborg was once Finnish territory until WWII. I guess that by now you can figure out that I am happy with my Russian experiment. Hell, if they would let me bring my firearms, I would love to retire in Russia at my wife's dacha in the country. Beautiful area near the Finnish border.

Funny thing. The Russians I met could not understand why Americans didn't like them. I guess they were never aware of what we called the Cold War. My daughter asked me why Americans were always making movies where the Russians were always the bad guys. I really didn't know how to answer her. Most Russian movies that I have seen don't generally have Americans as the bad guys. Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread needs pics, here is a guy who snagged one

ETA: of course they put all the gorgeous ones on the first page.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My ex-Russian wife got her green card years ago and she's still  around. Guess it all depends on the individual. Now she is going for her U.S. citizenship. Some of the food she makes I don't care for. She makes a salad made with beets and other crap. Yuck. But she makes one hell of a beef stew. Borscht is great eating too. When I was over there in the Rodina, some of the food was good, others not so good. Great tasting hotdogs. They were linked together like you see in cartoons. Ketchup I couldn't find so I used a Georgian tomato sauce which worked fine. It was funny to see them eat spagetti . Instead of spagetti sauce they put sour cream on the spagetti. My wife still does. Beer was absolutely great. No preservatives in it. My mother-in-law Olga and I used to have a couple of beers together in the evening after supper while watching Russian TV.

Great thing about my wife. She doesn't say anything about my firearms. Doesn't bother her a bit.  I can walk in the house with a new rifle and she hardly bothers to look up. One thing I will say about Russians that I know is that they are hard workers. Seems my wife is always going into work. Long hours don't bother her.  And her daughter , who I adopted over there, which is an interesting story, works graveyard shift at the old folk's home and then goes to school in the morning. She's studying to be a forensic scientist. So she's working, studying and talking care of her daughter who will turn 4yrs. old this week.

So I let it up to you decide what to do. You put your quarter in and dance to the tune that is playing.

You are a very fortunate individual.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Russian cooking does suck.  I lived there for three years and had their food 2 or 3 times.  I didn't like it because it was so bland.

As far as knowing anyone that has married a russian immigrant, my mom married a Russian...they've been married for 1.5 years and he doesn't have his green card yet.  However, he was in the process of getting it before he met my mom.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Guys,

First off this isn't aimed at anyone here, just generalization.

If you can't find a woman to be your girlfriend in your own culture, how in the hell would you expect to find it by importing it?  The facts are clear.  She will come, get a permanent resident status and she will do as all the other girls in your life did - adios.

Jeez.  I can see doingg this shit if you live in the Klondike during the gold rush when the ratio was 100 to 1 men to women.  But here and now?  You will get laid a bit but long term you will still be lonely.

Better off figuring out what kind of women LIKE you and find one of them then a sexy import that will dump you in a heartbeat.

Hell, if you need to get laid buy a ticket to Thailand and spend a few weeks in Pattaya.  ANYONE can contract AIDS or STD's that ajax could not wash off there.

Fixed it for yah
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Russian cooking does suck. I lived there for three years and had their food 2 or 3 times. I didn't like it because it was so bland.

Wonder if it sucks as much as English food.  What do Russians eat?  Alot of Potatoes?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Russian women seem to snooty for me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Russian cooking does suck. I lived there for three years and had their food 2 or 3 times. I didn't like it because it was so bland.

Wonder if it sucks as much as English food.  What do Russians eat?  Alot of Potatoes?

I found that it was more of caviar and cabbage.  There were a lot of potatoes but not as much as I would have figured.  I also noticed that they pickle everything....very interesting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I know a guy who married a Russian gal. They both seem very happy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Women are women.  You'll get good and bad ones from each culture.  The cultural differences are merely like what spices are to cooking.  If you put different spices on steak or spam, it might change the flavor somewhat, but it will still be steak or spam, respectively.

So sayeth The Neutral Observer, who hath had many foreign girlfriends.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#35]
My friend did the Russian bride thing.  He actually went to Russia a few times to meet various girls.  The girl he finally married was a cutie that was on the Olympic swim team when she was younger.  There was no way he would have ever gotten such a girl here (picture a nerdly Bill Gates looking lawyer).  I thought for sure she would shaft him once she got here in the states but they have been married three years now and have a kid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#36]
If the love is real it will last. Finding that love is a pain is the ass sometimes though...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I found that it was more of caviar and cabbage.  There were a lot of potatoes but not as much as I would have figured.  I also noticed that they pickle everything....very interesting.

Northern European cooking is very "heavy". Scandinavian, Soviet, English, German etc. aren't very refined like the homosexual nations such as France or Italy. Heavy on the potatos, breads, cabbagge, heavy meats like sausage, and so on. When you are done eating them, you know that you just gained weight and all you want to do is take a nap..

I personally love such foods.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Northern European cooking is very "heavy". Scandinavian, Soviet, English, German etc. aren't very refined like the homosexual nations such as France or Italy. Heavy on the potatos, breads, cabbagge, heavy meats like sausage, and so on. When you are done eating them, you know that you just gained weight and all you want to do is take a nap..

Dude, you're a laugh.  There is no way in Hell you can be doing anything other than trolling.  Too funny.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#39]
The Russian brides can't be all bad, what more do you want.They can clean house, cook and field strip ak47.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My friend did the Russian bride thing.  He actually went to Russia a few times to meet various girls.  The girl he finally married was a cutie that was on the Olympic swim team when she was younger.  There was no way he would have ever gotten such a girl here (picture a nerdly Bill Gates looking lawyer).  I thought for sure she would shaft him once she got here in the states but they have been married three years now and have a kid.

Your friend was/is probably a pretty decent guy to start with that was simply too shy.  It can work.  But the majority of the guys who go this route will:

a)  not spend anough time getting to know them to pick one that might actually like them back
b)  think they can treat them like a slave cause of the green card thing

Unless the partnership is even to start with eventually confrontation will surface.  I've seen it with guys who marry thai girls thinking since they are "saving" them from poverty they hold the upper hand perpetually.  That isn't how a marriage works.  That is just ownership.  And slaves have a way of rebelling.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I've met one at my job. Her husband is a self-aggrandizing clown of a lawyer who threatened to sue US over something someone else (his dog's breeder) did. I never understood that. Long story short, he is a hateful, bitter person who should not be allowed to exist.

His wife is gorgeous, and was a very nice person when she got here. I'm sure you can see where this one is going.

After about 8 or 9 months of being belittled and yelled at by her husband in front of my staff (and certainly at home), she was becoming more like him. She got the short end of the stick in a big way, She should have stayed in RU.

I have a Russian couple as clients who are both immigrants. She is beautiful as well, he is obviously ex-military and a heck of a nice guy... the kind you wouldn't want to cross because your hide would be found nailed to a tree.    Their teenage son is one of the nicest young men that I have come across lately. I love working for them. If they are representative of the "average" Russian, the culture has something to offer.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#42]
The clinic I go to is predominantly Russian. While it can be unerving to be standing in a room with someone that clearly doesn't speak english as thier main language, especially when they are speaking about your medical information, I have never had better care. The Doctors do thier best to make my family understand what is ailing me and what I am to do about it.

Most of my experiances with Russian imigrants has been great. But there was a Romainian immigrant that moved in nect dorr to us a few years back that was a raving lunatic. He abused his wife and turned the kids against her. They called her names and just put her down. When the mother burned herself cooking she had to come next door to us for help. She was able to drive herself to the hospital but the kids refused to come next door and get us becuase thier mom didn't have the athority to tell them what to do. She finally left the POSs and moved to a different state. She sent us some pictures of her in the new state and she looked like a million bucks. I knew she was cute, but DAMN when she looked happy and fufilled as a human being he glowed.

As for the A-hole I don't know what happened to him. Saw him at a video staors recently and just hung back. You think he'd remeber us since my mom almost shot his supid ass. He was out at 3:00AM looking for his cat below out living room window. My mom was up cause she couldn't sleep and was doing some needle work. Well our 80 pound poodle went ape shit and almost went through the window trying to get at what was outside.

So instead of waking me or my dad up she grabs het Colt mustang .380 and proceeds to open the door and look out. Nothing there. So she set the gun on the table next to her chair and goes back to what she's doing. 15 minutes later the dogs come apart again. This time she runs outside and heres this dark fugure beneath the window. She tell hims shes armed and orders him to come out.

Then upon seeing who it is she gives him the riot acts and goes back inside. Our other next door neighbor is laughing his ass off aparently after hearing the noise. Amazed my mom didn't just shoot the dumb SOB. And after all this the idiot get's pissed at her for yelling at him. Doesn't matter to him the person he's cussing out has a loaded and chambered weapon in their hand.

So there are truely assholes all over the world. Thankfully the good one's out number them. Even if it doesn't feel like it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
We have our problems like everybody else, but all in all I am satisfied. Afew years ago my wife had breast cancer...she's cured now...but she took the whole miserable thing like a trooper. She also suffers from migraines. You would never know it. Seldom complains. Goes to work when if I felt like her, I would be in bed. Watches her money. Doesn't like to owe money to anyone. Not a stingy person at all. I have to keep telling her not to buy me stuff.  One thing about Russian women, they are very protective of their kids.  Said the wrong thing about Kristina, her daughter, a few times and boy did I ever hear about that.

As far as cultural differences , there are very few. If you accept the fact that they lived under Communist rule for 75+ years. If you met my daughter..any takers?...you would never know that she is Russian. Speaks Engish like an American. They fit into our society very easily. And they are very well educated.  My wife has 3 degrees. Athough I laugh when she tells me about her degree in Economics. Yeah, right. If you ever go to Russia you should never have any problems with the ordinary people. as a matter of fact they were very protective of me. I never felt that I was in danger.  Never heard a  derogatory remark about Americans while I was there. In fact all I heard was America is great and we love Americans. Amazing! And my wife had me all over the place in St. Petersburg and her  home town of Vyborg. Got to see where Lenin hid out from the Kerensky govt. when he fled to Finland. Vyborg was once Finnish territory until WWII. I guess that by now you can figure out that I am happy with my Russian experiment. Hell, if they would let me bring my firearms, I would love to retire in Russia at my wife's dacha in the country. Beautiful area near the Finnish border.

Funny thing. The Russians I met could not understand why Americans didn't like them. I guess they were never aware of what we called the Cold War. My daughter asked me why Americans were always making movies where the Russians were always the bad guys. I really didn't know how to answer her. Most Russian movies that I have seen don't generally have Americans as the bad guys. Go figure.

Sounds like you're trying to marry her off.  Age, pics?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
 I also noticed that they pickle everything....very interesting.

Russia does not have a Florida or California to provide the country with fresh produce during the the winter....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I know several guys who have done this, mostly from the Philippines but two from the former Soviet Union (one whose wife is from Ukraine, and one from Russia).

Both are doing fine.  Yes, the divorce rate is high -- but if you take a look at a lot of the guys who do it, you'll quickly see why.  Most of them are total assholes, and/or are 60-year-olds looking for a hot 18-year-old "wife".  If you're a reasonably stable guy who can afford to do it (it's not cheap) and are dating someone who is comparable to you in attractiveness, your odds are fine IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Be caredful of the Russian ones. Lots of mafia black widows out there.

Been married to numerous American men who keep having "accidents" and they go home with the insurance money.

Yeah, here we've got women who marry you, then take your house, your car, and everything else that's not nailed down when they divorce you.

Uh the Russians leave you..."dead."

No, they leave you packed in a bathtub full of ice with a note taped to your arm telling you that you are now missing a kidney.

ETA: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=312230
ERIE, Pa. -- A woman once acquitted in the death of her boyfriend has pleaded guilty but mentally ill to charges she killed another boyfriend, whose body was found stuffed in a freezer. . . .
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

never truer words spoken.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#49]
There's an old man in the area who ownes mil surplus store that imported a VERY young Russian bride. She was beautiful, thin and very sweet...9 months later she's big as a house and meaner than a pit bull. Poetic justice for the dirty old man that brought her here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah.  Russian native who grew up there, married there and then fled with his family to America.  His wife worked in an upscale jewelry store and saw all the American women buying jewelry and wondered why her husband was not so successful.  In short, she went "American" on him, divorced and is on her own.  As for him, he later remarried another Russian immigrant.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top