Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/3/2004 9:36:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 9:44:45 PM EST by Jagermeister]
This would make for one hell of a scenario. The russians will handle the Iranian nuke problem They always wanted a warm salt water port.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:38:41 PM EST
link?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:39:03 PM EST

Well I hope they're not going down there to kill anybody.

Especially radical muslims.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:39:14 PM EST
Is this fact or our you just asking what if?

That would be a big thumbs up from me if it was true.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:40:41 PM EST
This is a What IF scenario
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:41:48 PM EST
Thread topic was misleading, you should edit it. I got all excited. IBTL!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:42:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Jagermeister:
This is a What IF scenario

You got my hopes up
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:50:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:
Well I hope they're not going down there to kill anybody.

Especially radical muslims.

God forbid we might hurt someone! We (the world) needs to learn to fight a more compassionate war on terror! Sound familiar?? We're doomed
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:52:17 PM EST
funny thing is whe we were supporting the mujehaddin against the russians in afgahnistan. that was one of the scenarios that would have required a us response and probably would have started ww3.sadly we were supporting the wrong side back then it would appear
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:56:18 PM EST

This would make for one hell of a scenario. The russians will handle the Iranian nuke problem They always wanted a warm salt water port.

That's very 80's thinking.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:14:06 PM EST
The sad thing in this scenario is that the Iranians probably have more modern Russian equipment than the Russians themselves.

But yes, I could see this as a positive, so long as things not end like it did in Berlin at the conclusion of WWII. We would need to be on the same page this time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:26:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
The sad thing in this scenario is that the Iranians probably have more modern Russian equipment than the Russians themselves.

Just think, we could put a lot of Americans back to work building F-16 fighters and M1 battle tanks to give to the Russians.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:29:48 PM EST
The Russians will handle Iran's nuclear problem? Yeah, how about we remember just who the hell is providing Iran with the know how and materials to build their reactor. Hint, it's the Russians.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:44:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By A_G:
The Russians will handle Iran's nuclear problem? Yeah, how about we remember just who the hell is providing Iran with the know how and materials to build their reactor. Hint, it's the Russians.

Yup, that much is very true. Hopefully after recent events, they will see how unwise such a move is and cease supplying them. But it seems the Russians would pimp out their 80 year old grandmas for $5 these days.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:45:29 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:39:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 11:40:04 PM EST by R-32]

But it seems the Russians would pimp out their 80 year old grandmas for $5 these days.

You mean ColonelKlink has a chance of getting laid before he turns 20?

(Assuming mom and dad spot him $5)
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:54:36 PM EST

Russia cannot be trusted with that task...

They would (a) clusterfuck it just like Chechnya, (b) refuse to leave when the problem was 'solved', and (c) destroy any chance for democratization, which is the key to eventual victory in the present conflict...

I would go as far as to say that if they tried that & couldn't be dissuaded by diplomatic means, we would have to liberate Iran by force - something that may be avoidable at the present time, but would be unavoidable the moment the first Russian tank rolled thru....

Why would I side with Iran over Russia? Because if the Russians take Iran, they will seriously screw any chance of victory for us in the broader conflict. They will make our entire effort in Iraq a waste, as well.

Russia is a usefull ally at times, but so was Saddam's Iraq in the 80s. Just like the invasion of Kuwait, an invasion of Iran would be so far against our best interests that it would flip Russia from 'Ally' to 'Enemy' in a heartbeat...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:02:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By 2gun:
funny thing is whe we were supporting the mujehaddin against the russians in afgahnistan. that was one of the scenarios that would have required a us response and probably would have started ww3.sadly we were supporting the wrong side back then it would appear

Things have changed radically for the better since then.
Russian/American relations are better than they have ever been before
We have share a lot of common interests like safety of the innocents
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:04:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:

Russia cannot be trusted with that task...

They would (a) clusterfuck it just like Chechnya, (b) refuse to leave when the problem was 'solved', and (c) destroy any chance for democratization, which is the key to eventual victory in the present conflict...

I would go as far as to say that if they tried that & couldn't be dissuaded by diplomatic means, we would have to liberate Iran by force - something that may be avoidable at the present time, but would be unavoidable the moment the first Russian tank rolled thru....

Why would I side with Iran over Russia? Because if the Russians take Iran, they will seriously screw any chance of victory for us in the broader conflict. They will make our entire effort in Iraq a waste, as well.

Russia is a usefull ally at times, but so was Saddam's Iraq in the 80s. Just like the invasion of Kuwait, an invasion of Iran would be so far against our best interests that it would flip Russia from 'Ally' to 'Enemy' in a heartbeat...

I would like to think the Russians have reformed for the better.
I hope i'm right and it's not just wishful thinking.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:23:41 AM EST

Rock breaks scissors.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:09:04 AM EST
We could start a get ColonelKlink laid fund.

I figure if about 40 people pitch in a quarter, we could buy him a slice of pie
Top Top