Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2001 11:39:17 AM EDT
After first saying they would let us operate out of Tajikistan, now this:

Tajikistan Won't Allow Afghan Attacks

By LIDA ISAMOVA
.c The Associated Press

DUSHANBE, Tajikistan (Sept. 16) - Tajikistan will not allow Western nations to launch attacks on neighboring Afghanistan from its territory, its leadership said Sunday.

``Reports in some media on the use of the Tajik territory by a third country to inflict strikes on military camps of the Taliban and international terrorists in Afghanistan are groundless,'' chief foreign ministry spokesman Igor Sattarov told reporters.

U.S. officials have identified Osama bin Laden as the prime suspect in Tuesday's terrorist strikes in New York and Washington. The Saudi exile operates in Afghanistan, whose hard-line Muslim Taliban rulers have given him sanctuary.

Last week, Tajik Prime Minister Akil Akilov indicated his government might consider a U.S. request to provide air corridors for strikes on Afghanistan, but only with approval from Russia and the international community.

But Russia, which has thousands of troops in Tajikistan and wields considerable influence in the former Soviet republics of Central Asia, made it clear last week that it would not approve a Western-led campaign from what Moscow considers its own backyard.

``I don't see any basis for even the hypothetical possibility of NATO military operations on the territory of Central Asian nations that belong to the Commonwealth of Independent States,'' Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov said Friday.

Tajikistan, along with the former Soviet republics of Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, is located on Afghanistan's northern border. It is one of the few countries from which a military offensive could be launched.

Tajikistan and Uzbekistan were major staging areas for Soviet troops and aircraft during the 1979-89 Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, and Russian troops still patrol Tajikistan's border with Afghanistan.

In Afghanistan, the opposition alliance is made up of ethnic Tajiks, Uzbeks and other minorities in Afghanistan and controls about 10 percent of the country in the northeast, along the former Soviet border.

Tajikistan is struggling to recover from a five-year civil war between mostly Islamic opposition forces and the hard-line secular government, and depends heavily on Russia for military and political support.

Since Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan also rely on Russia for major economic support, it is unlikely they would agree to military operations from their territories without Moscow's approval.

AP-NY-09-16-01 1201EDT
View Quote

Looks like the fear of terrorism, not only from Islamics but also from far right Nationalists got to them

Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Before this ends, we probably will be "Going it Alone"
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You may be right. Worthless bunch of lying bastards. Can you trust no one these days?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it just me, or is this starting to sound like the opening story of RED DAWN!?!!?

"United States Stands Alone..."

_FS
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Before everyone blasts Russia for this...remember that Tajikistan is NO LONGER part of the USSR, and that Russia doesn't have much power over them anymore.

The Russians have had a real hard time with their own terrorists originating from Dagestan and Chechnya, and lost over 300 people in a bomb attack on a residential apartment complex a few years ago, which caused them to invade Chechnya again.  I don't think the Russians are looking to squirm out of anything yet.

If anyone does any squirming, it will probably be the French first.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it just me, or is this starting to sound like the opening story of RED DAWN!?!!?

"United States Stands Alone..."

_FS
View Quote

Ironic ain't it.
Or maybe prophetic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]
hypothetical:

If Mexico bombed the Kremlin (LOL,) would we be happy hosting MIGs and the Russian T90s and  Army in CA, AZ and TX.

HELL NO.

So, while it would have been nice to have their bases to use, as long as they don't get in our way, which is something they have with every conflict we have been in since WWII, that is good.

Besides, it would take months to move troops through Eastern Russia and our M1s wont' fit on their railroads anyhow.  We need a Port.  Hello, Pakistan, are you there?

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the fact of being a NATO effort is what has changed the Russians' offer. It seemed to me that the Russians were willing when it was a joint American/Russian operation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]
We could work out of saudi or jordan, where we already have major control......
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We could work out of saudi or jordan, where we already have major control......
View Quote
.........Let`s not kid ourselves...uncle wants to "own" as much real estate as possible in that region (as does isreal)....big part of the reason for this trouble to begin with........
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Personally, I dont think we should have requested that of Pakistan either. We simply should take over Iran and Iraq and then launch our own invasions from their smoldering remains.

-- GB
View Quote

General GoatBoy.  

Where do I sign up?

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#14]
How about this:

U.S. Ground Forces land in Egypt, and Yemen. They push up into Iraq and meet up with U.S. troops staged from Isreal. The combined troops push through Iraq to Lebanon and Syria, then turn east to Chechnya and Iran. The troops the push east through Iran. How we pass through depends on how Iran supports us.

At the same time U.S. troops staged from Pakistan could push into Afghanistan from the South and East, while troops from Iran push from the West. This would leave only the North Open to escape. In North Afghanistan are Anti_Taliban Rebels. Even if they make it past the rebels they will end up in Russia, where I can only say the better pray the Russians don't get them. We all know what Hitler did when faced with the choice of capture by Russians or Suicide.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#15]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doubt it. I'm sure that our best NATO allies (Britain & Germany) will stand with us.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#16]
As for letting Russian Planes hit Tijuana, I have no problem with that. In fact we should help them. Maybe they'll take out the Arellano-Felix Brothers while they're at it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How about this:

U.S. Ground Forces land in Egypt, and Yemen. They push up into Iraq and meet up with U.S. troops staged from Isreal. The combined troops push through Iraq to Lebanon and Syria, then turn east to Chechnya and Iran. The troops the push east through Iran. How we pass through depends on how Iran supports us.

At the same time U.S. troops staged from Pakistan could push into Afghanistan from the South and East, while troops from Iran push from the West. This would leave only the North Open to escape. In North Afghanistan are Anti_Taliban Rebels. Even if they make it past the rebels they will end up in Russia, where I can only say the better pray the Russians don't get them. We all know what Hitler did when faced with the choice of capture by Russians or Suicide.
View Quote

It'd be less work to swim from San Diego  Its a 1000+ miles from israel/Iraq.  better check your maps.

[img]http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/storypics/4322399[/img]

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#18]
NUKE RUSSIA! The U.S. must have a cobalt cased 100 megaton bomb in it's arsenal. Just drop that and all of our problems will be over.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#19]
zazou, I was suggesting the U.S. take everything along the route. That means we take out:

Group From Yemen-

Yemen
Oman
UAE
Iraq

Group From Egypt-

Egypt
Iraq

Group From Isreal-

Lebanon
Syria
Iraq

All Western Groups AFter Meeting Up-

Iraq
Iran
Chechnya (Side Trip)
Afghanistan

Group From Pakistan-

Afghanistan

If we JUST want Afghanistan, we can use Pakistan or Iran. If we want to take out all those harboring terrorist it would have to be a multi-frontal war.

Countries That Harbor Terrorists:

Algeria
Libya
Egypt
Sudan
Yemen
Oman
UAE
Iraq
Lebanon
Syria
Iran
Afghanistan
Pakistan
Chechnya
Dagestan

Countries Likely On Our Side:

Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Turkey
Isreal

and that's all. Syria and Egypt will not hwlp us. Hell they harbor terrorists. Jordan is somewhat of an Enigma. Many Palestinians are of Jordanian Descent. Jordan has attacked Isreal in the past and is probably harboring terrorists, but they seem close to the U.S. including their Queen Nor being American.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I guess no one read my original response.....

Tajikistan is NO LONGER PART OF RUSSIA.

They are their own state now, and Russia, while having some influence there, do not control the internal politics of that country.

So nuking Russia wouldn't do a god damn thing except make things a shit load worse.

This isn't the Cold War, things have changed since 1986.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:21:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
hypothetical:

If Mexico bombed the Kremlin (LOL,) would we be happy hosting MIGs and the Russian T90s and  Army in CA, AZ and TX.

HELL NO.

So, while it would have been nice to have their bases to use, as long as they don't get in our way, which is something they have with every conflict we have been in since WWII, that is good.

Besides, it would take months to move troops through Eastern Russia and our M1s wont' fit on their railroads anyhow.  We need a Port.  Hello, Pakistan, are you there?

Zaz
View Quote

As we are, no. If we had recently come out of a protracted decade long war with high casualties, yes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I dont think we should have requested that of Pakistan either. We simply should take over Iran and Iraq and then launch our own invasions from their smoldering remains.

-- GB
View Quote

General GoatBoy.  

Where do I sign up?

Zaz
View Quote

Well, Iraq anyway. Things have been getting a little better with Iran, not that that means much.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 2:28:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I guess no one read my original response.....

Tajikistan is NO LONGER PART OF RUSSIA.

They are their own state now, and Russia, while having some influence there, do not control the internal politics of that country.

So nuking Russia wouldn't do a god damn thing except make things a shit load worse.

This isn't the Cold War, things have changed since 1986.
View Quote

Russia has troops there. Not too mention that the Tadjhiki government has said that Russia would have to give THEIR PERMISSION. That implies that they would consider it.

There are muslim fanatics there and in Pakistan as well which could pose a threat to our folks. I still think Tadzhikistan would be a good choice but I suspect that Russia may now be backing away from their early offer of working together, simply to return to the old game of geopolitics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top