Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 8:23:40 PM EDT
Mama Mia!

Report: Crowe reaches phone-hurling settlement

BY INDRANI SEN
STAFF WRITER

A British newspaper has reported that Oscar-winning actor Russell Crowe will pay a whopping $10.8 million settlement to the Mercer Hotel porter he is accused of injuring during his notorious phone-hurling outburst in June.

The Daily Mail cites anonymous sources who report that the star of "Cinderella Man" will sign a deal with Nestor Estrada, 28, of Greenpoint, to avoid a trial on assault and weapon possession charges. If convicted, Crowe would face up to 7 years in prison and possible banning from the United States.

The Mail also quoted the Manhattan district attorney's office as saying it would be "highly likely" to drop criminal charges against Crowe if the matter were settled out of court.

Estrada could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Police arrested Crowe at the SoHo hotel June 6 after the 4:20 a.m. incident in which he reportedly lost his temper. Crowe had been trying to call his wife in Australia, law enforcement officials said, but was unable to reach her. He brought the phone down to the lobby.

"It's absolutely worthless," Crowe reportedly told Estrada. "So I figured I'd come down and give it back to you."

He then threw the phone at Estrada, striking him in the face, causing a cut, law enforcement officials said.

Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
10.8 mil for a cut?

Hell, if that were me I'd spend half that and hire an entire team of ex KGB type agents looking to handle a "problem" i had.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell, I'd let him stab me for ten million dollars.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds about right

I have always gotten 10.8 million every time I've cut my face with a phone

GM
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Ridiculous.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
a little steep

fuck him...you're working the desk at 4:20am and some asshole beans you with a phone because he can't call his wife in Australia

Fuck him...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#6]
It's all relative.
If Crowe gets banned from the US because he has a felony conviction it could cost him a lot more than ten-eight.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Uh, Bullshit.

Estrada can't drop felony assault charges.  The District Attorney will decide whether or not to bring charges against Crowe based on whether he thinks a crime has been committed or not.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be shocked if that turns out to be accurate. $50K would be an absurdly high verdict unless the victim has permanent nerve damage that makes him grimace involuntarily.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
10.8 mil for a cut?

Hell, if that were me I'd spend half that and hire an entire team of ex KGB type agents looking to handle a "problem" i had.

I don't think it was a 'gee, I got a papercut.  ouch'.

It was a 'Holy shit, that fucker threw a goddamn PHONE at my FACE and it HIT me!'

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
... to avoid a trial on assault and weapon possession charges. ...

a phone?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]
geez, I wonder how many more people Russell Crowe is going to have following him around looking to get a love tap and a couple million out of him.

Damn I'm almost tempted to.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#12]
What a fucking prick, he throws the phone at the man because he was upset.  Hell, ban him from the US.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]
hell, i hope he throws a phone at me!

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish the asshole at work who threw his phone at me were Russell Crowe.  Then I could say "fuck this job, I'm rich, bitch!!!"
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn, I wish he would hit me in the face with a phone.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:11:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Uh, Bullshit.

Estrada can't drop felony assault charges.  The District Attorney will decide whether or not to bring charges against Crowe based on whether he thinks a crime has been committed or not.

the story says the da's office would most likely drop charges if crowe settles with the clerk. like was said above, he's got a lot more to lose than 10mil if he's declared persona non grata in the u.s.!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:14:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Damn, I wish he would hit me in the face with a phone.

I've seen the pics, what did happen to your face?

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:30:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Uh, Bullshit.

the story says the da's office would most likely drop charges if crowe settles with the clerk. like was said above, he's got a lot more to lose than 10mil if he's declared persona non grata in the u.s.!

The US film market only comprises a small percentage in the world's film market.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:39:37 AM EDT
[#19]
another frivilous lawsuit for ungodly amounts of $ for no real "pain and suffering"  The world is going in the dump.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:59:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:00:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Uh, Bullshit.

But if you don't have a witness and victim that will testify, it won't do much good to
bring charges.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Uh, Bullshit.

The US film market only comprises a small percentage in the world's film market.

That maybe right but the largest and most successful production companies are here. Most of the movies that he made his money on where US based as were the ticket sales.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:04:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#24]
so, what was the weapon?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, this is only the 3rd or 4th similar episode form Crowe in the last 18 mos.  He deserves a really good beatdown from someone who's not afraid of him.  

IIRC, at one point within the last year or so, he *did* try to act tough with someone who wasn't buying it...and he quickly backed down.  I wish I could remember what the circumstances were, for some linkage.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Alright. If Crowe is paying out almost 11 million for throwing a phone at somebody, then sign me up.

Hey, Russ! I will let you hit me with one for 5 million!

I am a bargain!!!

Look me up!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I wish he'd hit me with a phone.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#28]
This means that all sorts of opportunistic folks will be following Hollywood stars around, trying to bait them into doing something stupid.
Excellent!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Dear Russsel Crowe,

You suck donkey dong. Fuck you and the dingo you rode in on.  Does that make you want to kick my ass?  If not, I fucked your mother too.

- El "Soon to own a MG" Camino
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Hell,I'd be happy with just a couple of hundred bucks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
another frivilous lawsuit for ungodly amounts of $ for no real "pain and suffering"  The world is going in the dump.

]

Until you got hit, and that would make it wholly justified.
I've seen it a thousand times.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Dear Russsel Crowe,

You suck donkey dong. Fuck you and the dingo you rode in on.  Does that make you want to kick my ass?  If not, I fucked your mother too.

- El "Soon to own a MG" Camino

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I think im gonna become a papparazzi and do nothing but "fuck with" Russell Crowe in the hopes that he beans me! Member that camera man that got kicked in the nuts by Dennis Rodman at courtside? Why can't that kinda shit happen to me? i always seems to get into fights with poor people. Last fight i got into cost me 2000$ in dental bills! (but you should seen the other guy )
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#34]
The thing that really pisses me off is we have illegal aliens commiting all kinds of REAL assualts and they don't get kicked out of the country.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'll be shocked if that turns out to be accurate. $50K would be an absurdly high verdict unless the victim has permanent nerve damage that makes him grimace involuntarily.

Settlement, not verdict.  No court involved.  This is to avoid court and jail.  A jury would probably give more.  Don't believe it?  Think about who really sits on a jury.  Think about OJ and the Michael the molester trial.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#36]
And you have to figure the legal team gets 6 million of that. Ouch.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#37]
If I thought he could keep a secret I'd let him shove a phone up my ass for $10.8 million.  Seriously.  $10.8 will buy a real comfy chair until things quit hurting.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The thing that really pisses me off is we have illegal aliens commiting all kinds of REAL assualts and they don't get kicked out of the country.

That's different...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
If I thought he could keep a secret I'd let him shove a phone up my ass for $10.8 million.  Seriously.  $10.8 will buy a real comfy chair until things quit hurting.

Well...........how about a FROZEN FISH???
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

]

Until you got hit, and that would make it wholly justified.
I've seen it a thousand times.

ah...yes...the whole "I did not realize how bad I was hurt until I talked to my lawyer...." BS
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm looking forward to the day when old Russell Crowe treats the WRONG person like shit. There's got to be somebody out there who doesn't give a shit who he is, and will promptly kick the living shit out of him in front of everybody. Damn, that would be sweet!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Uh, Bullshit.

Why can't he?  Here in Harris County, TX if you don't have a willing complainant under most incidents then no prosecution.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This means that all sorts of opportunistic folks will be following Hollywood stars around, trying to bait them into doing something stupid.

Nah. Too many of them do stupid things unprovoked. Just sit back and watch, if you've nothing better to do.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Seriously.....Ambulance chasing ? How about Crowe chasing ?

I might have to start following him around like the Grateful Dead fans of old used to follow
the dead around....I'm sure at some point, I can piss him off enough to throw something
at me....a tv, a beer bottle, a cell phone, a stapler...something....Just give me that paycheck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top