Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2013 6:21:56 PM EDT
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=910_1374799086

WTF? They don't believe in traffic lights?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#1]

That is what GD would look like if you could get an overhead shot.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Country where the scooter is king. Don't really need traffic lights.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
This is why Commies should not be responsible for planning any thing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Who's that with the balloons?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
God, it's fucking insane there. I couldn't cross the street. I saw traffic lights at every intersection, people ignored them 90% of the time. Just honk your horn and go, the red sea will part. It was pretty surprising seeing a family of 5 on a motorbike that I wouldn't fit on, not to mention none of the kids wear helmets. They claim the kids heads bounce around inside the helmet, causing damage to the kids. How about put a fucking children sized helmet with a strap on them, maybe?

Edit: Oh, and there is traffic 3-4 times worse than this in the Saigon district. Seriously, like 10 bikes wide going each way, a bunch of different directions. They don't really slow down, somehow it just parts for people turning and stuff.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually - although they are all swarmed together, they do basically follow rules similar to ours. More like Philly than Seattle though when it comes to pedestrians which is not so good...

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#7]
There doesn't seem to be any lanes!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd make it through maybe two intersections.  In the third one there would be carnage.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I worked in Saigon(Ho Chi Minh City) for 11 months back in 03-04, and only saw one wreck in that time. It was round a roundabout, the lead scooter laid his over, and about 20 scooters behind him came crashing down. That was a sight to see, it all literally happened in slow motion and nobody really got hurt. Within a minute of the wreck happening, everybody had their scooter up and was on their merry way.

What surprised me more than traffic flow was the stuff people would carry on those scooters. I saw two guys carry a full sized refrigerator once, and another one carrying a goat in a cage strapped to the back of the scooter!

They had scooters for rent there too, but I never had the balls to try it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#10]
meh, Saigon  is way  crazier.  you can't even see the  pavement.  wanna cross the road?  just start walking.  seriously.  it was easier tocross the street  not  looking.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dammit, I'm trying to drink here and you've made me ruin another keyboard...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
What a cluster fuck!

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#13]
needs more b-52s
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Actually - although they are all swarmed together, they do basically follow rules similar to ours. More like Philly than Seattle though when it comes to pedestrians which is not so good...
View Quote

This is what I find in most of Asia, The rules are pretty much understood by everyone, and most often sort of followed.
Given the level of traffic, it normally works pretty well. funny how there is a certain amount of give and take.

The difference between driving there and the first world, is the lack of defensive driving you see in western countries.Most people there driving cars drive more defensively.
Cost of cars is a factor, but also just because others at an intersection have a stop sign, or red light doesn't mean they'll stop. When you are driving, disaster can come from any direction at any time, it keeps you alert, and driving defensively
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is a good rule of thumb for any large Asian city

Never cross the street alone. Always cross with at least one Asian person. Assholes will not stop for you, but won't run over another Asian
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#16]
When I was in Korea I occasionally drove through downtown Seoul during rush hour, on courier runs.

At first I was very paranoid about this, because at first glance, the traffic looks like absolute chaos.

Then one of the old heads explained to me that there was kind of a "Zen Buddhism" methodology to the madness.

The main rule is that if someone's front bumper is ahead of yours, then that person has the ROW if they want to merge or turn in front of you.  You always yield if another car is slightly ahead of you.  If you are slightly
ahead of them, they will yield for you.

Once I got used to it, it really wasn't that bad.  I never had an accident.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#17]
....pho...  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#18]
At some point the utility of vehicle horns becomes diminished. They have long ago passed that point.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#19]
They learned their driving style from the French, and obey a similar amount of driving etiquette as the French (cross-wire the horn with the brakes) ignore lanes, lights, signs, speed limits, sanity...

Oh, BTW, that isn't much traffic compared to Saigon <spits> Ho Chi Minh City.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Asian Drivers, No Survivors
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Nothing a couple of fast movers couldn't fix.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

There doesn't seem to be any lanes!

View Quote

If I was king for a day, I would eliminate lanes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#25]
its easy to ride scooter in nam.  I did a scooter tour of the country- "top gear" style.  After an hour on the scooter in Saigon you get used to the traffic just go with the flow and aim your scooter at behind the pedestrian.  The secret of walking across the street is just look straight ahead, never walk backwards.

I rather be in a scooter in Saigon in traffic than on the 95 stuck in traffic around the beltway.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#27]
organized chaos
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Needs more train horns!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Reminds me of:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top