Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2002 4:57:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I would also be interested.  I just installed a cable modem and expected things to really fly.  I thought something was wrong with my equipment(naturally, this sight was the first thing i accessed!), until I started surfing other sights; the rest of the web is just a keystroke away, but AR-15.COM is running at dial-up speed.  Any INFO?
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It's probably a just a slow db.  Here at work, we have a T1 to ALTER.NET, err, UU.NET (or whatever they're called this week).   The images come-up quickly, but the text here comes-up a lot slower.  Also, the pages contain a lot of unnecessary JavaScript.  That can slowdown the display of the page and make the site seem slow even when it isn't, especially when using a slow browser like MSIE.  I use a proxy that strips-out JavaScript.  It takes much less time for the web browser to display the page.z
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#3]
[left] I was wondering the same thing.  Running cable also and it takes about 20-35 sec to load a page here without photos.  Before ar15 went down it took maybe 2 seconds max. [/left]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The admins are at the SHOT show and nobody's pedalling the generator bike.  [;)]

It's not your connection.  The problem is at or near AR15.com's server.  A tracert from my computer (cable modem running a tad better than T1 at the moment) reveals that a big lag is occurring at a router that either belongs to the site or the site's ISP.  The server may be running slow too.  The images are faster most likely because they're coming out of the cache on your hard drive.

Ooops.  I mean it's an evil government plot.  Yeah -- that's it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm reasonably certain the speed issues are server side--I've ALWAYS noticed AR15.com being slow, and there's nothing I can find that says it's network related.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
[url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=91584]Goatboy[/url] promises a fix here.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top