Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2005 6:04:05 PM EDT
So, Indiana law states that you are not allowed to have a firearm in posession while bowhunting. No exceptions.

Well, I went hunting tonight on 350 acres that I have sole permission to hunt. Three guys on ATVs were riding exactly in the inside corner where I like to hunt and have taken deer in the past. They had trails worn down to dirt, made ruts, etc...They even drove over some of the cornfield that borders the woods.

Unrespectful Bastards!

Needless to say, some choice words were exchanged, and I informed them that they would be arrested for tresspassing if caught there again. The entire property is posted so they knew better.
Anyways---there were three of them, one of me, and I only had my bow. If things would have really gotten out of hand I would have had no way of defending myself.

Why does IN law not allow even CCW holders to carry their personal protection weapon?

What is the law in your state?

Do all of you guys (if applicable) abide by this ridiculous law?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
OR = carry, believe it or not.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
In oklahoma you can carry concealed is you have a CCW while bow hunting. But you cannot take game or dispatch an injured animal with it
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If it were me I would file a police report just so there was a papertrail of the confrontation, then carry a small obviously not for deer pistol (Say, a .380 or somesuch).
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never been patted down by a game warden.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Cell phone and Sherriff's number is your best friend.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Carry a fucking gun anyway.  Which would you like: a bullet to the chest, or a game warden's ticket?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I always carry when bowhunting.  Never know what you might run into...  I have a friend who found a big farm , and a bunch of mexicans with AKs who weren't out for some recreational shooting.  

Not to mention the cats, or that rare mean bear.

ETA:Not trying to make trouble Aimless: its legal in Colo.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#8]
hey the guy in Wisconsin took out six of them, you should have no issue with three
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've never been patted down by a game warden.

DingDingDingDingDingDi.......................

I believe in the Patrick Henry use of common sense, also.

Dave S
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn the law,.

CARRY!

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the same problem every year, my family has a large tract of land adjoining public land and we get hunters inviting themselves over all the time, been running them off for years, this year we've decided to start calling the BIA since our land is in federal trust and let them deal with them, me and my brother and cousins have got some really nice deer stands that were left in our woods.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#13]
S&W j frame or Glock 26 are my bow huntin' buddies.

For the S&W 637, I carry a speed loader of 124 gr and one of shot shells.

For the glock. 10 rnd mag. of Rem 115gr +P+, 1 of 124 gr jacketed , 1 of shot shells.

I am in the market for  a S&W mod 60 with a 3" bbl and adj. sights.  Accurately shootable J frame .357.  Whoot!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You can't legally carry a pistol while bowhunting in NY. I would point out that posting about breaking the law, regardless of whether it's a stupid law or not, is not allowed here.

sorry Aimless, didn't mean to break any of the rules.  the jist of my post was that I do think this law is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You can't legally carry a pistol while bowhunting in NY. I would point out that posting about breaking the law, regardless of whether it's a stupid law or not, is not allowed here.

First, he's not talking about NY.  Second, not everyone copies NY law.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Burt Reynolds.  Deliverance.  Enough said.

Actually, I don't bow hunt.  NH does allow carrying a pistol during bow and muzzleloader season if you have a CCW permit.  You guys have to get the law changed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Michigan law
Archery Deer Seasons
During the archery deer seasons, it is illegal to carry afield a pistol, revolver or other firearm while bow hunting for deer. Exceptions: This prohibition does not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. This does not authorize the individual to use the pistol to take game except as provided by law. During special antlerless firearm deer seasons, a firearm hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow or firearm..
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you have a canoe gun? A gun you bought for $25 or $50 that shoots? Great! ok now take that gun put it on the property in  a burried trash bag, and hunt till bambi looks like a porcupine. That way you can have a gun near at hand.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#22]

A friend of mine had a treestand that he had chained to a tree stolen.

i have had a few stands stolen in the past.....that's a real pisser too
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag for morning.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know about you, but to me a bow is a very formidable weapon. Alot of people carry guns, but very few can use one accurately. I know very few bowhunters that are not very skilled with a bow. If they say that you can only get one of them, respond by saying " Yup, now you guys decide who that one is......"
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#25]
You can't have the firearm. Nobody says your companion can't. Bring an armed friend for company.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I don't know about you, but to me a bow is a very formidable weapon. Alot of people carry guns, but very few can use one accurately. I know very few bowhunters that are not very skilled with a bow. If they say that you can only get one of them, respond by saying " Yup, now you guys decide who that one is......"

Yeah, they would have to be a damn fool to go against a good man with a bow at close range...  But there are some damn fools out there

I am a bowhunter.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#27]
The very last LEO you want to mess with is the Game Warden.  Not only does he ticket you for breaking the law but he can also confiscates your toys too.

If the law says no firearms, then I don't carry any.  It's the law.  If you're really opposed, then write you state politicians about it.  That is nearly useless I know, but it's better than losing you're freedom over.

About the trespassers, try using suger instead of vinegar.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#28]
In WI you can carry a handgun while bowhunting. Too many bear up here and I know a few guys who have had bear come up trees after them. Usually for their apples. They threw them down and that was the end of the problem.

I would just do what I had to do if I were you. No COC violation here.

I had an asshole on an ATV come thru the area I was hunting in twice on friday. Once wasn't enough. "See any yet?" Asswipe.
He and his brat use the National Forest for their own personal ATV and dirt bike trail and there are plenty of others not to mention the asshole road hunters who think their 2 ton vehicle gives them the right to assault you with it. One of these days.....

I got the guy's number off his tag and called the Forest Service, then the DNR, then the Sherrif's Office.

We have a bunch who have a cabin near here and come up on weekends run their ATVs thru the forest, tearing shit up and then ride down our road and into the lake to wash them off. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself.  And then these same buttheads wonder why our county doesn't allow them on any roads or trails. Only on their own land.
They tried to get a referendum passed 2 years ago allowing use on designated trails but it failed because everyone knows exactly what would happen.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Cell phone and Sherriff's number is your best friend.

Yeah....trust your life to someone who the Supreme Court has ruled has NO obligation to protect or defend you.

NOTE:  I am not saying most LEOs won't still try, just that sometimes they can't, and they NOT accountable for not saving your ass.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#30]
In  Texas, one may carry a shotgun, provided no ammo with shot larger than #6 is carried.  At close engagements, #6 beats a clenched fist.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#31]
File a report with the game warden, make friends and become his best buddy, ya never know when it will come in handy.
I have had problems about five years ago with some illegal trespassers. I reported them to the local LEO. A month later the next door owner had problems. He knew I was on my place and since I get to shoot with him occassionally He asked my help.
First time I ever helped a DEA agent "catch" trespassers.

And as a side observation, I use to hunt near Austin. We always had problems with trespassers during deer season. Now my wonderment comes from the ones who argued from the wrong end of a gun with a PO'ed hunter. Oh well report them.

good hunting
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#32]
I have spent the morning grinding off rebar to a sharp point.  I will be burying them (with a little over two inches sticking out of the ground) at strategic locations on the trails this afternoon
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#33]
u had a quiver of pointy sticks, right?

use those..
=p
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#34]
If I read the handbook correctly in PA you can have a handgun, but it cannot be concealed, and it cannot be a semiauto.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Carry a fucking gun anyway.  Which would you like: a bullet to the chest, or a game warden's ticket?

+1
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

On private land and leases I have encountered ATV/motorcycle riders, squirrel hunters, and people on horseback. I always just stated it is private land and tell them to leave. They always have. I had to look it up for my state, Florida prohibits possession of firearms while archery hunting, never really thought about it or noticed it in the regs before. I have always hunted on private land and leases so I have always carried a pistol anytime I am hunting regardless of what season it was. I know what Florida Wildlife Officers are like around here, they concentrate on fishing here near the coast and stick to the state and federal public hunting areas mainly during the season. Archery starts here this weekend by the way, the plots are planted, stands are setup, and I have been practicing.

My favorite archery no-no:

Prohibitions: Hunting turkeys in Holmes County, taking turkeys except gobblers or bearded turkeys, taking deer, turkey or hog with dogs, crossbows (except by permit from the FWC), arrows with explosive components or druginjecting devices, possessing or using firearms while archery hunting and using unleashed dogs. Hunting with bows equipped with sights or aiming devices with electronic computational capabilities or light projection (laser) features during archery season. In Dade County, possessing bows on airboats is prohibited during early archery season.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have spent the morning grinding off rebar to a sharp point.  I will be burying them (with a little over two inches sticking out of the ground) at strategic locations on the trails this afternoon

As much as I appreciate your ire and agree with your desire to kick ass, that is a really bad idea. Too damn indiscriminate. Also illegal and a potential lawsuit waiting to happen. What if someone errs and walks back there with kids? Might injury a few furry woodland creatures also.
If you decide to actually do something like this at least make something you can remove when you are no longer in the area.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#38]
na do it anyway, and string a piece of barbwire up about chest level or some 50 pound test fishing line.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Carry a fucking gun anyway. Which would you like: a bullet to the chest, or a game warden's ticket?

+1

Better to judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If I read the handbook correctly in PA you can have a handgun, but it cannot be concealed, and it cannot be a semiauto.

No guns if you are in the archery season.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Never leave home without your mediuim bore handgun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Can ya carry a big ass sword?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#44]
No CCW in Pa during Archery season.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#45]
About the boobytraps. Don't use steel rods! That can be traced to you and there will be hell to pay.  Here is how you do it. Look for a Honey Locust tree. This tree has BIG ASS thorns, they easily puncture ATV tires.  Cut branches full of these and litter the trails with them. Unless you are seen doing this no one can pin this on you.

www.washington.edu/home/treetour/hlocust.html

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
You can't have the firearm. Nobody says your companion can't. Bring an armed friend for company.

See in Arkansas, if your in the woods during deer season, and your armed, your hunting.  Period.  I carry a handgun when I hunt, but I only hunt modern gun season.  I plan to carry my Glock 22 this year instead of my .357.   If I get a deer really close in, I may shoot it with my Glock  Handgun hunting is fun.  My dad has taken a 7 point buck at 65 yards with a scoped .357
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See in Arkansas, if your in the woods during deer season, and your armed, your hunting.  Period.  I carry a handgun when I hunt, but I only hunt modern gun season.  I plan to carry my Glock 22 this year instead of my .357.   If I get a deer really close in, I may shoot it with my Glock  Handgun hunting is fun.  My dad has taken a 7 point buck at 65 yards with a scoped .357

Arkansas has such BS complicated hunting regulations that I decided it's not even worth the effort to learn how to do it, since it's such a hassle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
In WI you can carry a handgun while bowhunting. Too many bear up here and I know a few guys who have had bear come up trees after them. Usually for their apples. They threw them down and that was the end of the problem.

I would just do what I had to do if I were you. No COC violation here.

I had an asshole on an ATV come thru the area I was hunting in twice on friday. Once wasn't enough. "See any yet?" Asswipe.
He and his brat use the National Forest for their own personal ATV and dirt bike trail and there are plenty of others not to mention the asshole road hunters who think their 2 ton vehicle gives them the right to assault you with it. One of these days.....

I got the guy's number off his tag and called the Forest Service, then the DNR, then the Sherrif's Office.

We have a bunch who have a cabin near here and come up on weekends run their ATVs thru the forest, tearing shit up and then ride down our road and into the lake to wash them off. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself.  And then these same buttheads wonder why our county doesn't allow them on any roads or trails. Only on their own land.
They tried to get a referendum passed 2 years ago allowing use on designated trails but it failed because everyone knows exactly what would happen.

Are you allowed to carry concealed while hunting in WI as long as you are on private property?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#49]
While motorcycle riding on public land in Baldwin MI, we encountered several trees cut at 5' and bent over the trail.

This was the week before bow season was to open.

We removed the trees so no one would get hurt, then found the hunter's blind and trashed it.  

This was state land and here someone was trying to get a legal biker killed.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
While motorcycle riding on public land in Baldwin MI, we encountered several trees cut at 5' and bent over the trail.

This was the week before bow season was to open.

We removed the trees so no one would get hurt, then found the hunter's blind and trashed it.  

This was state land and here someone was trying to get a legal biker killed.

Provides understanding of why we who live in the forest can't stand any of you fuckers. Nothing personal, BTW, as I think what the guy did was wrong but one of these days some of you guys doing this shit are going to get shot. I would just about guarantee it as everyone I know up here is totally sick of all the out of state city fuckers who come up here and trash the place. I also know how fast the predators up here will finish off any carcass laying around. I'd wish you best of luck but it would be totally disengenuous.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top