Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2003 10:52:50 PM EDT
Ok, not really.  I was in a construction zone and had just passed a 45 MPH sign.  The car in the left lane kept going about 30.  I turned on my blinker to indicate that I was going to pass him on the right, and he didn't budge.  So I passed.  Instantly, cherries in my rearview.  I don't know how I missed the state police car, but he ran up behind me.  I got over in the right lane again as soon as it was clear.  He stayed behind me and turned off the lights.  Then he shot up beside me and honked.  I thought he was going to point me over to the shoulder, but he waved his hand down and feigned writing a ticket, then sped off.    I don't think I was going more than 5 over, and I'm glad he wasn't an ass about it.  That's my first warning, and not even a written one!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish we had cops like that here
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I wish we had cops like that here

We do, they just don't like the way YOU drive...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
look for a ticket in the mail in about 3-5 business days
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I am guessing he was late for the local meeting at the doughnut house, and could not be bothered.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#5]
He sped off?
Does that mean that the cop broke the same law, that he wrote you up for, if Kooter is right?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I had an Ohio trooper pull up beside me once and flash 5 fingers twice, as in 55mph (back when that ridiculous law was in effect), and drive on.  Needless to say, I slowed down.  I am used to cops using blue lights, so when he was coming up behind me in a white car with reds on top, I thought it was a fire department vehicle.  SURPRISE!

Another time, an Atlanta motorcycle cop did the same thing on rainy morning as I was weaving through traffic.

Another time, early in the morning around 0200, I had a Glynn County cop on I95 just flash his overheads as if to say 'cool it' and didn't pull me over.

Another time, on I26 outside Charleston, SC, I saw a gray Beemer coming up and dropped down a gear getting ready to race him and made a couple of 'wanna race' moves.  He pulled up beside me and I saw "SOUTH CAROLINA HIGHWAY PATROL" on the door, much to my horror.  He pulled up beside me, wagged his finger at me and laughed, and just went on.  I though I was had, but I think he understood and was cool.

I have had these types of things happen quite a few times so, contrary to the view of some here, they are not all dicks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#7]
He thought better of interfearing with you after running your plates through the United nations and interpol and finding out what you do for a living.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably was on his way to another call.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
He thought better of interfearing with you after running your plates through the United nations and interpol and finding out what you do for a living.

Damned interpol/UN/illuminati/NWO!

I don't know, the last officer who asked me where I worked didn't like the answer...
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am used to cops using blue lights

Here's something that does/would have (I didn't drive over there) take some getting used to: in Israel, the cops always have the blue lights going. It's the siren that means "pull over." It gave me the willies riding as a passenger.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
SC highway patrol gets Beemers? And I thought the camaros the highway patrol has here were nice..

:D
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
A highway patrol with a BMW?  Must have been a seizure.

I hope they have a big maintenance budget and a lot of spare parts so they can keep that POS on the road most of the time!  

BMW stands for Brings Mechanics Work!

CJ

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A highway patrol with a BMW?  Must have been a seizure.

S.C. Patrol's BMW's come from the factory, which is in S.C.

Jay
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#14]
OK, maybe it wasn't a seizure.   But such a purchase could certainly be explained by a stroke in the cognitive areas of the brain!

I'd like to see the total delivered price per car, and the fleet maintenance records, and then compare them to the "traditional" choices that police departments usually take.

Lacking any (current) proof to the contrary, I woudl accuse that department of wasting taxpayer's money on excessively expensive vehicles that are questionably suited for police work and are suspected of having lower reliability than the usual choices.

If I were a purchasing agent for a department, right now I'd select Toyota Camrys (V6 powered) for the job.  Reliable, fast, simple, and inexpensive to maintain and repair.  Good handling as well.  Plenty of room (A lot more than a "no-roomina" ) And Toyota will provide an enhanced suspension package if you ask for one.

I wouldn't even have THOUGHT of using a BMW for police work.  I'd pick Cadillacs first.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:33:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Until recently, Vail, Colorado used Sabb's for police cars.

Aspen still does, but my guess is that will soon change.

S.C. Patrol is likely getting a deal equal or better than if they bought one of the big 3 models; likely better.

And, it may only be a few BMW's:

Arizona DPS has a few Camaro's that rotate around the state.
It may be the same with the BMW's.

Jay
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:57:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I were a purchasing agent for a department, right now I'd select Toyota Camrys (V6 powered) for the job.  Reliable, fast, simple, and inexpensive to maintain and repair.  Good handling as well.  Plenty of room (A lot more than a "no-roomina" ) And Toyota will provide an enhanced suspension package if you ask for one.

View Quote

As a  patrol car? Get real. By the time you put a cage and all the elctronics in there, no way would you be able to use that car. And it would have to REALLY beef up its suspension, cooling system, brakes, etc.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#17]
There are some departments that have tried Camrys on an experimental basis.

From what I've heard, the consensus among them is that it's a better platform than a Lumina right now, and if Toyota puts together a police package (bigger brakes, tougher suspension, etc) then it could become the best FWD platform available for police service.

Camrys have PLENTY of room, too.  Avalons have even more, but I don't see why prisoners in the cage need excess leg room.  However, that car is a bit lighter than the Camry, so maybe Avalons will become the next police car of choice?

It's certainly not an unreasonable proposition. If you can make a police car out of a POS Lumina, ANYTHING is possible.

And if there is sufficient demand, Toyota WILL offer such a package.  Unlike Ford or especially GM, they're interested in listening to customers for fleet vehicles.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I woudl accuse that department of wasting taxpayer's money on excessively expensive vehicles that are questionably suited for police work
View Quote

How is free a waste of taxpayer money?  They also spend less money on it for maintenance than they do for any car they have besides the LTD.  I had lunch with a mechanic from the state HP and the uniformed patrol captain from my local city police.  I overheard their discussion on maintenance costs.  It was depressing how much money they wasted in the past for repairs for the few FWD Dodges they've had and how much they're now wasting on attempting to keep the Impalas running.  The BMW is much more suited for patrol work than an Impala.  Our local police only have a few of the Impala's, but I've already seen one on the side of the road disabled more than half a dozen times.z
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OK, maybe it wasn't a seizure.   But such a purchase could certainly be explained by a stroke in the cognitive areas of the brain!

I'd like to see the total delivered price per car, and the fleet maintenance records, and then compare them to the "traditional" choices that police departments usually take.

Lacking any (current) proof to the contrary, I woudl accuse that department of wasting taxpayer's money on excessively expensive vehicles that are questionably suited for police work and are suspected of having lower reliability than the usual choices.

I wouldn't even have THOUGHT of using a BMW for police work.  I'd pick Cadillacs first.

CJ
View Quote

BMW got the CHP contract for motorcycles here, by offering maintenance coverage and a buy-back program.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Even if you can get past the notorious BMW reputation for breaking down when you look at it funny, and find a way to justify the purchase of LUXURY VEHICLES for police work,  there's still another issue:  Origin.

I don't want my police to be driving or riding anything that isn't at least built in the states, and I sure as hell don't want them driving eurotrashmobiles no matter WHERE they're made.

But what the heck...I'm very opinionated, and your mileage may indeed vary.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Even if you can get past the notorious BMW reputation for breaking down when you look at it funny, and find a way to justify the purchase of LUXURY VEHICLES for police work,  there's still another issue:  Origin.
View Quote

What reputation for breaking down would that be???  They aren't luxury vehicles.  That's just here in the states.  Police use them all over the world and I'm sure they make a police model.

I don't want my police to be driving or riding anything that isn't at least built in the states, and I sure as hell don't want them driving eurotrashmobiles no matter WHERE they're made.
View Quote

Duh, that's a real intelligent remark.  They are given to them free.  They are about 10 times better than using some POS Impala or Intrepid as a cop car.

But what the heck...I'm very opinionated, and your mileage may indeed vary.

CJ
View Quote
YOU........opinionated.  I woulda never guessed.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There are some departments that have tried Camrys on an experimental basis.

From what I've heard, the consensus among them is that it's a better platform than a Lumina right now, and if Toyota puts together a police package (bigger brakes, tougher suspension, etc) then it could become the best FWD platform available for police service.

Camrys have PLENTY of room, too.  Avalons have even more, but I don't see why prisoners in the cage need excess leg room.  However, that car is a bit lighter than the Camry, so maybe Avalons will become the next police car of choice?

It's certainly not an unreasonable proposition. If you can make a police car out of a POS Lumina, ANYTHING is possible.

And if there is sufficient demand, Toyota WILL offer such a package.  Unlike Ford or especially GM, they're interested in listening to customers for fleet vehicles.

CJ
View Quote

Never madea police car out of a Lumina, but I did take the wife's 97 4-Door Lumina around the road course at Phoenix Intl Raceway last spring. I needed a car with a passenger seat for a driving school and that's all I had besides the Chevy 1500 P/U with the extended cab and long bed.

The wife about shit when my daughter asked me how fast I went and I told her "About 90."
The wife sez "Why were you going 90 MPH in MY car?" I sez " Because the POS wouldn't go 95!" [}:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I got the "finger wag" from a cop in a CORVETTE in Santa Clara, CA (and yes, it was a black & white) and the DPS here has a Volvo that patrols the highway in Phoenix. All in all-even during my hotrod years-I've had fairly good experiences with LEOs. I was even pulled over twice while in my HR by cops that just wanted to see what I had under the hood.(BTW, they were both St. Louis County cops, who were well known for doing their job with a chip on their shoulder)
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Crown Vics and Impalas are not made in the US:
They are made in Canada, so I guess they could be called Canadian trash.
I think the Intrepid is still made in Twinsburg, Ohio.

With just a little beefing up of the rear suspension, I think the base model Nissan Maxima SE automatic would be a better cop car than anything out there right now.

It already has the brakes and motor.

It rivals my long missed 96 Caprice cruiser.

But with no columm shifter, it would be very impractial.

I'd like to see how SCHP did up their interior equipment with the center columm.

Jay
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I've gotten the "finger wag" twice.  Once was by a LEO on a motorcycle.  He was just setting up his speed trap when I flew by (65 in a 55, clear road).  We saw each other at the same time and he just moved his arm up and down a couple of times to tell me to slow down, which I did for about a mile.

The second one was from a plain wrapper on the 440 loop in Raleigh.  Traffic had been backing up and a few idiots that were lane hopping were making it worse.  I saw an opening and gunned it.  He got next to me and sqauked the siren once to get my attention, flashed the blues in the back of the car and waved.  I waved back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top