Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/2/2015 12:33:22 PM EDT
A few days back, I picked up a 243 RPR from Mace Sports. As of this posting, they have a 243 and 308 in stock. After getting the rifle, it was time to get some reloading supplies. I had some H4350. I picked up some Hornady cases and 105 BTHPs.

I had never seen this rifle until the AR review. Within a few days, I'd gotten two to test. It meets a need that no other rifle out there does.

I used Wolf LR primers. The OAL was book spec at 2.630". I started at 39.4 and have tested up to 43.0 grains in my rifle. The primers are starting to flatten, but I see no cratering yet. The top load is 2.0 grains above Hornady's book max.

These are the lower end loads.

These are the higher end loads.

There were no pressure signs.

Many of these groups are just under an inch. I'll load develop and tune later. All shooting was done at 100 yards. This rifle is outstanding. It will change the long distance game by making it available to many new guys. The trigger straight from the box is very good.

Update:

I went back to the range with more ammo and a second rifle. I added a 308 to the mix as well.

Groups are looking pretty good for so little effort. The 243 is MOA all day with 5 shot groups of:
That's an average of 0.7878. These results mirror the precision found in American Rifleman's review of the rifle.

I shot a few shots on paper at 200, and the group was relatively the same MOA.

The 308 load was a pet load from another rifle, 42.0 Re15 with Nosler 168s. The third and fourth group fired were 0.677 and 0.676. I'll try to bring more ammo next time.  I also tested some Hornady 150s with BLC2 to use up the rest of that powder. It was about 2moa. So, as an albeit heavy walking around gun, accuracy from more standard type ammo is very serviceable as well.

All firing was done from a Caldwell front bag and Midway sand socks. The scope is a Bushnell 3.5-21 FFP with the original Horus reticle. It's a little busy for small group shooting at 100 yards, but it was easy to add given it sits in an ADM mount.

You can buy these with confidence. I had high expectations, and they have delivered.

Please add your own reviews or questions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good.
Sorta  want.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to see some one give a review
As much as I like .243 I'm really interested in the 6.5cm one.

Have you taken it apart yet?, what's the barrel on it, like a ar10 one without the gashole?

How's the trigger feel?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm really tempted to get one in 6.5 creedmoor and I don't even like bolt actions that much.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
So much want
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Do want.  Why the hell not at that price?.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Well done.
Thank you for the review, OP.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Like I said in the other thread: This is a game changer.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you taken it apart yet?, what's the barrel on it, like a ar10 one without the gashole?

How's the trigger feel?
View Quote

I haven't taken it apart yet. The trigger feels great once you get the insert depressed. The insert is thin enough to be a bit sharp.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome post.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
So is it safe to say that this rifle is a "tartered up" bolt gun, or scout gun?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#11]
How much are they selling for, versus MSRP?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#12]
what was Mace charging for them? I am really on the fence. I wish they hadnt gone with such long barrels. With the powders available today, there is almost no reason for a long barrel. I am thinking 18" in 308 and 20" max in the 243 and 6.5cm. The cost of having the barrel cut and rethreaded makes the deal a whole lot less sweet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a tarted up bolt gun designed for accuracy, precision, and long range. It's too heavy to be a scout gun unless you're Paul Bunyan strong.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How much are they selling for, versus MSRP?
View Quote

OTD with tax is around $1050. I think they are $979 or so.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Sort of want.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know if they plan to offer these with a left-handed action?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not fond of the look, but I haven't read anyone who doesn't say they perform, and it's got me thinking.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not fond of the look, but I haven't read anyone who doesn't say they perform, and it's got me thinking.
View Quote

The look is better than your typical tube gun. I'd prefer it in a tan. As a rifle shot a lot while laying in the sun, tan would be much cooler in many parts of the country.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the review!   Congrats on the rifle!

Question: did you do a barrel break-in or just shot the groups out of the box?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think they are. Shooting lefty with a normal rifle is easy. It's what I do.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have worked as a statistician for years. There is no proof for or against "breaking in" a barrel. I'd rather just start shooting for groups than burning up the barrel for break in. Plus, cleaning agents and rods have ruined way more barrels than bullets. If it shoots in, that's great, but I'm very pleased with both as is.

I hope Savage and Remington have their R&D guys hard at work. I never saw myself with a Ruger CF rifle. I am a big fan now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#23]
How accurate are you with a comparable custom built gun?  Or have you shot one?  Your groupings and seeming comfort with precision shooting suggests that you have past experiences.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#24]
great review, thanks op.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Good review.  I'm planning on doing some load development tomorrow.  

I haven't taken mine apart yet, but it is not an AR barrel minus a gas port.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#26]
How much do those go for?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The look is better than your typical tube gun. I'd prefer it in a tan. As a rifle shot a lot while laying in the sun, tan would be much cooler in many parts of the country.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's growing on me.

And as an Arizonan who's picked up metal shit lying outside in the summer... Completely concur.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have worked as a statistician for years. There is no proof for or against "breaking in" a barrel. I'd rather just start shooting for groups than burning up the barrel for break in. Plus, cleaning agents and rods have ruined way more barrels than bullets. If it shoots in, that's great, but I'm very pleased with both as is.

I hope Savage and Remington have their R&D guys hard at work. I never saw myself with a Ruger CF rifle. I am a big fan now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remington has a great basis in the MSR. First they have to 1) admit that the 700 needs to evolve or go away 2) get the EXCELLENT tech in their defense division to the commercial market
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Thanks Awesome price...I'm very interested.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's a tarted up bolt gun designed for accuracy, precision, and long range. It's too heavy to be a scout gun unless you're Paul Bunyan strong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Although I guess you could for for a shorter, lightweight barrel, lightweight rail and lightweight stock. Or you could go for heavy, stable components for a target rifle. That, to my mind, is the big advantage to this rifle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How accurate are you with a comparable custom built gun?  Or have you shot one?  Your groupings and seeming comfort with precision shooting suggests that you have past experiences.
View Quote

I shot in college. I coached after grad school. In high power, I'm a High Master with the service rifle. I'm a recent Distinguished Pistol Shot. I need one more medal for Distinguished Rifle. I don't shoot much with a scope or from a bench. My techniques in these areas could use some polish. My fundamentals are solid though.

My day job allows me resources to pursue my passions. I'm very lucky. What I lack in talent, I make up in desire.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Is the magazine well part of the chassis aluminum or plastic?  

How solid is the buttstock end of the rifle?  Do all the parts clamp tight so there is no wiggle?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  I have some doubts as well, even though some of the claims make sense.

I have a R700 with a Macree Precision stock and love it.  However, this new Ruger rifle is giving me thoughts about a second precision model.   If I jump in it will be a 308.  Despite all the 6.5cm accolades I'm still for minimum calibers inventory.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm thinking with a 16" bbl and some recontouring, a MOE stock, and the right handguard selection you could strip some serious weight off. I don't think that it will ever be a lightweight hunting rifle, but it could easily be more manageable for that role.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Although I guess you could for for a shorter, lightweight barrel, lightweight rail and lightweight stock. Or you could go for heavy, stable components for a target rifle. That, to my mind, is the big advantage to this rifle.

I'm thinking with a 16" bbl and some recontouring, a MOE stock, and the right handguard selection you could strip some serious weight off. I don't think that it will ever be a lightweight hunting rifle, but it could easily be more manageable for that role.

That is my plan for a handy 16" lightweight 308 rpr, I also want the 6.5 in a 22".  I don't shoot much unsuppressed anymore and I read the 6.5 suppressed w 22" barrel is equivalent to the 24" for muzzle velocity.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Threads like these make me really want one in 6.5.

IF the aftermarket catches on a little bit for the Ruger American, I'd get one of those in 6.5 too to make it worth the investment in the caliber.

That's a lot of gun or $1050. I've been a critic of Ruger in the past, but they really seem to be listening to the consumer more than most other brands at the moment.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How's the trigger feel?
View Quote

Yeah I'm really interested in this gun and will probably pickup one in 6.5CM.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#41]
God I hope my dealer calls. The wait is killing me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never cared for Ruger rifles outside of the 10/22 always preferred Savage and Remington but I plan on buying one of these. Can't wait to see aftermarket barrel for sale.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is the magazine well part of the chassis aluminum or plastic?  

How solid is the buttstock end of the rifle?  Do all the parts clamp tight so there is no wiggle?
View Quote

The well is aluminum.

The buttstock is solid with no wiggle. That's an achievement given all the potential for adjustment.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the real world review.

I want one badly. But first, to start a savings jar.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't think they are. Shooting lefty with a normal rifle is easy. It's what I do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every other minority is pandered to these days, why not lefties?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Getting one in .308 as soon as I can get to my ffl to order me one...will paint in fde and mounting a U.S. Optics st10 on it. I'm excited!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Getting one in .308 as soon as I can get to my ffl to order me one...will paint in fde and mounting a U.S. Optics st10 on it. I'm excited!
View Quote

Great combo. Rugged pair.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I contacted Ruger customer service the day they were announced for sale, and they said absolutely not, there are no plans to develop a left-handed model.

Now I have to decide whether I want to gimp myself with a righty model or pursue other options at higher cost
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I contacted Ruger customer service the day they were announced for sale, and they said absolutely not, there are no plans to develop a left-handed model.

Now I have to decide whether I want to gimp myself with a righty model or pursue other options at higher cost
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooting rifle cross-handed isn't bad with a blinder and rest. After an injury, I had to switch hands for pistol. That's way tougher than a rifle change. A well placed Butler flip up makes a great blinder.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Bought a PA-10 lower from PSA back in December to do a .308 build, contemplating doing this instead.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top