Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 7:33:40 AM EDT
I already have a Ruger PC9 carbine that is fun to shoot. I have 5 hicap mags for it and 2-10rd mags. I'm thinking about selling it to get the Beretta, which is good for me since I'm a left-handed long-gun shooter.

I don't know about the Beretta, but as you may be aware the Ruger has going for it a very strong action that can take the hottest 9mm loads no problem.

The Beretta has going for it rails that make mounting lights and other accessories very easy. The Ruger's got that proprietary scope ring arrangement.

As for looks, I like the Beretta just fine. But I also like the Ruger just fine, too. The Ruger is like a souped up 10/22 and is a classic carbine look.

I know I should just get both, but for the sake of argument, what would you go for, given the choice? Hicap mags for the Ruger is not expensive, and for anyone who owns a Ruger P series semi-auto, the PC9 is the way to go. (I don't have any Ruger handguns).

Edit to add:

How about the Ar 9mm? For those with one, do you think this is the best platform for cheap 9mm shooting?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Beretta high caps arent that expensive to find. With the ban going away in less than a year, that will make things even better. I think the Ruger is a nice gun, but if I had to choose, I think I'd go with the Beretta, simply because it has more to offer.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I never liked the look of that handgun magazine sticking out at that angle from the ruger, it just don't look... right.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#3]

I like both, but the Ruger is hard to beat when it comes to the most bang for the buck...

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The Ruger is a fun gun to blast away at the range or plink.

I suspect the Beretta would be just as fun.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Just from the ergonomics standpoint, Id take the Beretta.  Pistol grip guns are easier to manipulate one handed if need be (openning doors, rounding up your kids etc).  The magazine being grip mounted also would allow for a faster, smoother reload.

That being said, the Beretta is still unproven at this point, and at least the Ruger has a track record of reliability to go on.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#6]
What Lumpy said....
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#7]
...and besides

Much higher tactical-bling factor
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Ruger PC9GR and I agree it is a nice
gun to plink with at the range, it has a very
simplistic look, similiar to a 10/22 & M1 carbine combo.

If the Beretta CX9 Storm was available at the time I was buying my PC9, I would have definitely chose the Beretta over the Ruger because of the better ergonomics and more modern design. The magazine in the pistol grip is nice, because it makes mag changes easier and more natural, just like reloading a handgun. Too bad the Beretta isnt available in California, because I would have bought one too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Yer gunna spend about the same for the CX4 as you would say an olympic arms pistol cal upper. Might as well just get that. I shot a CX4 this weekend as was not in the least impressed with it. Plus with damn near all plastic internals(sear, hammer etc.) I don't know how it would stand up to hot 9mm loads. It also has a funky ass trigger pull. Yer better off with a pistol cal upper for an AR.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#10]
My brother JUST picked up the Beretta.  He really loves it.  But then again, he doesn't have the Ruger to compare it to.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#11]
The Ruger is well built but it doesnt really
field strip very easily.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Marlin 9mm Camp carbine (uses S&W magazines) that I bought for the same reasons you mention.  (For that matter my Kel-Tec SUB-9 [S&W mags] and SUB-2000 [Glock mags] were bought for similar reasons...)

I always wanted a PC9 because I have been served well by every Ruger I have ever owned & I heard/read good things about the PC9.  But I got rid of the last of my Ruger 9mm handguns a few years ago, so it doesn't have that magazine-compatibility appeal for me any more.  Heck, I still have a bunch of 9mm Ruger magazines (factory 15s and aftermarket 20s & 30s) collecting dust in a box.  I've been looking for a used PC9 at a decent price - I figure I've already got all the mags and I could always pick up used P85 or P95 to go along with it...

I am eager to check out the CX4 - I still haven't handled one or seen one in person.  I do own & use Beretta 92s, so it does have that appeal for me.  And it certainly allows for more personal configuration (optics, lights, etc.) that the others mentioned here.

Bottom line:  Keep the Ruger & buy the Beretta if you can afford to - if not, I might take the Ruger off your hands...

edited to add:
FWIW, I also have a 9mm AR - but mine just doesn't get shot as much as the carbines that use the pistol mags...
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I stumbled on a thread about the Ruger PC9 v Beretta Storm on a Ruger forum.

www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000416.html

It says the Beretta Storm may not be so accurate according to Guns and Ammo testing. Anyone know anything about this? Is this the Storm's dirty little secret? Granted, I did see this on a Ruger forum.

BTW, you can buy this Ruger to weaver rail adapter from Brownwells for attaching more diverse optics/sights on your gun.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=15505&title=RUGER+CARBINE+BASE&s=35182#35182

Shoot, I may just hang on to this PC9, get the adapter rail, and wait and see about the Beretta.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I've handled (not shot ) both and I preferred the Ruger, mostly because I have to shift the Beretta to reach the mag release and the web of thumb hole gets in the way. On the Ruger I just release the magazine with my left hand like an AK or FAL.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I stumbled on a thread about the Ruger PC9 v Beretta Storm on a Ruger forum.

www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000416.html

It says the Beretta Storm may not be so accurate according to Guns and Ammo testing. Anyone know anything about this? Is this the Storm's dirty little secret? Granted, I did see this on a Ruger forum.

BTW, you can buy this Ruger to weaver rail adapter from Brownwells for attaching more diverse optics/sights on your gun.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=15505&title=RUGER+CARBINE+BASE&s=35182#35182

Shoot, I may just hang on to this PC9, get the adapter rail, and wait and see about the Beretta.

my storm thus far has been very accurate. decent trigger pull, no recoil, standing with no sling, i managed to get 2" groups at 25 meters with the so-so iron sights that come with it. and i'm not a great shooter by any means. (top rail isn't available till january at the earliest.) i could probably do a bit better prone or sitting with bags. but i got it just as a plinking "fun gun", so it's more than accurate enough for me. i love this carbine.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#17]

It says the Beretta Storm may not be so accurate according to Guns and Ammo testing
Don't believe shit about what G&A says about accuracy. They said the same thing about the PC-9, and mine was very accurate (10-rd groups of 11/16ths inch at 25yds, using CCI Blazer ammo).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top