Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/23/2006 10:28:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 8:28:31 PM EDT by SpecialOperator]
Should put this in the Ruger forum but I've scheduled range time in six and a half hours and that forum moves too slowly.

With e a MKIII standard Ruger .22 pistol. I have the bolt in the receiver, receiver on the frame, and the main spring housing retaining pin snapped in fully. (The pin is sticking out the top of the receiver).
The hammer is forward and the hammer strut is in the proper place.

However, the problem is that when I swing the mainspring housing towards the grip, the pin at the top backs out of the receiver. I am pretty damn sure the receiver is fully on to the grip. I've hit it pretty hard with a mallet.

What am I doing wrong?

PITA....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:32:41 PM EDT
Nevermind, I figured it out!

W00t!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:38:44 PM EDT
I have to read the manual everytime I take mine apart to get it back together.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:32:39 AM EDT
I always have a hard time putting mine back together too, thats why it only gets cleaned about once a year.

These might be helpful. I haven't gotten brave enough to try the second one yet.

www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm

www.1bad69.com/ruger/internals.htm
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:47:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 2A373:

Me too.

Ain't that pitiful?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:48:02 AM EDT
The trick is to hold it barrel pointing up and press the trigger in (to do this, a mag has to be inserted)....it should slide right in.
Just FYI for those who havent figured it out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:59:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

Originally Posted By 2A373:

Me too.

Ain't that pitiful?

I'm just glad that you don't really need to take them apart very often. Just use spray the action out with some Gun Scrubber and then a little oil and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:21:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SpecialOperator:
Nevermind, I figured it out!

W00t!

Fun stutt, isn't it?

Just took my MKII apart the other day.

Had a hell of a time getting it back together. Had to look it up on the internet. (forgto about the manual)

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:43:25 AM EDT
The exact reason I have stopped myself from buying a Ruger MK-series everytime. I don care what anyone says, they are a pisser to reassemble.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:46:51 AM EDT
I love my MK I Ruger, but it is a pain in the ass... No question about it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:28:00 PM EDT
The trick was to have a magazine in it. I was huffing and puffing for hours on the stupid POS until I had the bright idea of slapping in an empty mag. Bam. Piece of cake.

Now, I disassembled it again tonight (have already put 580 rounds through it it two days) and had a problem where the spring housing didn't want to come OUT.

It was remarkably clean on the inside for having had nearly 600 rounds of bulk ammo put through it.

Love this gun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:31:59 PM EDT
The magazine "safety" is really easy to take out and makes disassembling the MKIII much easier.

IMO, the Rugers are easier to take down than a Buckmark. Don't need a wrench, for starters.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:35:37 PM EDT
Just means you have to shoot it more often so you can have the practice down right.

I am pretty much ADD and lucky I even find my way home at night... I have to look at the manual

EVERY...F***ING .... TIME!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:57:08 PM EDT
Those little guns can be a pain to put back together.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:03:59 PM EDT
Tip fwd, listen for little "click"

Pull trigger.

Tilt bbl up to exactly 87 degrees, shake.

Pull trigger again.

Tip bbl downwards again. Sprinkle pistol with holy water. Recite from the book of Romans, 1:17.

Pull trigger.

Forget next step, refer to manual, causing you to tilt just slightly off of the specified 87 degrees.

Tilt up...*again*, shake well, bake at 350 degrees at for...dammit. Wrong set of instructions.

Start over.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:19:13 PM EDT
you'd think with all the changes they made with the mk3 they'd have made it easier to put back together
but instead they just such BS items as a magazine disconnector and loaded chamber indicator
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:33:10 PM EDT
I sold my MKII for this very reason
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:34:59 PM EDT
tag for any more tricks, I hate putting the Mk II together! I remember having to point the pistol upwards and pressing the trigger or something
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:41:17 AM EDT
disassembly

1. clear the gun
2. dry fire
3. remove the takedown lever
4. point the muzzle up. the bolt should fall out. if it doesn't, the hammer strut is caught. shake the gun or poke the hammer strut with something to free it, then the bolt will definitely come out
5. tap the grip frame and receiver apart. the grip frame needs to go in the direction of the back of the receiver

DO NOT PULL THE TRIGGER WITH THE GUN DISASSEMBLED, THE HAMMER WILL GET STUCK FORWARD. If you do, to fix it, the sear needs to be pulled out of the way with a toothpick. This is a PITA.

reassembly

6. make sure the hammer is in the cocked position
7. tap the grip frame back on the receiver. this time the grip frame needs to go in the direction of the muzzle. make sure the pin hole in the back of the receiver is lined up, if it's not, the gun won't go back together right. you can test it by putting the takedown lever pin in through the top
8. put the bolt back in the gun
9. holding the trigger, point the muzzle downward, so the hammer falls forward. if it doesn't fall forward, push it forward with something
10. insert the takedown lever. make sure the pin goes ALL THE WAY IN
11. point the muzzle up
12. make sure that the hammer strut is caught by the mainspring cap in the takedown lever. if it's not, the takedown lever will lock in the but the bolt won't be able to move. shake the gun to free the hammer strut if required.
13. lock in the takedown lever. all done!

If you have a MKIII and you didn't remove the magazine disconnect, you will need to have the mag in the gun for steps 2 and 9 and out of the gun for everything else.

HTH
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:59:22 AM EDT
Thanks STG77 I'm going to print this out for the future.
Top Top