User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 11:55:29 AM EDT
Ruger 44 carbine Is it a good SHTF gun?

common ammo easy procured.
light weight
handy for Close quarters.
Good out to 100+ yards..

well what do you thing good or bad for a SHTF gun?

Yes I'm back.. well for today.. slow day, and nothing else to do..
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#1]
No. It's a ruger.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

Damn yes.  Quick, powerful, easy ammo.  BIG BULLET.  All make for a good SHTF addition.  Wouldn't recommend it as a sole firearm.

You know CCI makes shotshells in .44 SPL/Mag that will work (but probably not cycle)?
Should be good for 10 yard rabbit hunting.  I know the shotshells in .45 ACP are good for rabbit punching.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

You could do worse.  The 96/44 is pretty simple.  Not exactly ideal, but certainly better than nothing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

See I said you would be back....whats it been a week and a half

ETA: bout the ruger not for me....I dont have any .44 ammo
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

In which one of those categories is it better than a 16" AR-15 carbine?  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
As with most "Fudd" guns, I'd be concerned about it's life span during the course of many rounds. I have no experience with the .44 Carbine, but I'd wonder if it's comparable to the Remington 74XX line, where it's designed for the Fudds, and high volume use beats it to death.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

You could do worse.  The 96/44 is pretty simple.  Not exactly ideal, but certainly better than nothing.

not the 96/44 the 44 deerstalker!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I think a lever action in .357 Mag or .44 Mag would be better.

As I recall, the Ruger .44 Mag carbine is not that accurate.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

same ammo can be used in my Deagle with beams! Try that with your weak .223 round!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#10]
No.  Four-round magazine is not SHTF material.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

4 hits is better than 30 misses..
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, especially if you can get an old one with the tubular magazine.  That makes it possible to reload on the fly.  Otherwise you have to tote around a bunch of cubular mags that only hold a few round each.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But with a 4-rd mag, you better not have any misses
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got one myself, along with my AR and shotgun. If SHTF it wouldn't be my first choice due to low ammo capacity, but it's good power to wield.

I'd give it to a friend with skills better used elsewhere than direct combat. At least they'd have something to defend themselves with.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll say yes, if your handgun is also a 44.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But it's not better than 30 hits.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've got one myself, along with my AR and shotgun. If SHTF it wouldn't be my first choice due to low ammo capacity, but it's good power to wield.

I'd give it to a friend with skills better used elsewhere than direct combat. At least they'd have something to defend themselves with.

Do you have a SHTF eye patch too
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[old civil war guy]back in my day we fought with single shot muskets and were damn happy to have those! you kids with your 4 rnd mags have it easy![/old civil war guy]

Same story today.. learn to be a marksman not a shooter.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[old civil war guy]back in my day we fought with single shot muskets and were damn happy to have those! you kids with your 4 rnd mags have it easy![/old civil war guy]

That's okay, assuming you only have four zombies coming at you at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

At least, not in a John Wo movie. In real life, it would work for most situations.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
No. It's a ruger.

Yep. That was Michael Platt's mistake too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's okay, assuming you only have four zombies coming at you at the same time.

thats what the AK-102 is for.. Duh..
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

same ammo can be used in my Deagle with beams! Try that with your weak .223 round!

Ok, so you're planning on carrying both the rifle and the Deagle.  There goes any advantage in weight.  Speaking of weight, how much does 100 rounds of .44 ammo weigh?  How much does 100 rounds of .223?  How much does it cost to reload each?  Do you have a spare extractor for your deerfield?  Can you even buy one?  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I want a integrally suppressed lever action .44mag.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#25]
My 1963 tubular-magazine Ruger .44 Carbine is way too purty to use for SHTF.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

Ok, so you're planning on carrying both the rifle and the Deagle.  There goes any advantage in weight.  Speaking of weight, how much does 100 rounds of .44 ammo weigh?  How much does 100 rounds of .223?  How much does it cost to reload each?  Do you have a spare extractor for your deerfield?  Can you even buy one?  

hmmm but which is going to get banned this Jan?

Not the ruger..
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a Ruger .44 carbine about 10 years ago. It was a good little 75-yard deer gun. I kinda hate that I sold it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

Not the ruger..

If bannation comes the M1 Carbine will be the better choice.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

I never understand this comment in relationship to SHTF weapons.  Is this a reference to getting ammo now???  I assume any ammo is going to be hard to get during SHTF.  I see guys say "go with 9mm or .223 cause they are police/military rounds and will be easy to find during SHTF".  Does anyone actually think that people - especially government agencies - will be handing out ammo during a crisis?   Or are they planning on taking it by force?   If anything - the authorities are going to be seizing your supplies cause they don't have enough of their own.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

Not the ruger..

I didn't realize you were taking into account some hypothetical ban.  Apparently, you're admitting that the AR carbine is superior except in the unlikely event that AR carbines are banned but semiautomatic .44 magnums are not.  Since we're playing this game, I claim that a sharp stick is better than the deerfield since the deerfield is going to be banned.  

Seriously, isn't a ban of all semi-autos about as likely as a ban of all AR-15 carbines?  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#31]
It would work but reload time isnt all that.

I killed my first deer with one back in 1983
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

I never understand this comment in relationship to SHTF weapons.  Is this a reference to getting ammo now???  I assume any ammo is going to be hard to get during SHTF.  I see guys say "go with 9mm or .223 cause they are police/military rounds and will be easy to find during SHTF".  Does anyone actually think that people - especially government agencies - will be handing out ammo during a crisis?   Or are they planning on taking it by force?   If anything - the authorities are going to be seizing your supplies cause they don't have enough of their own.

Have you not seen the training film Resident Evil: Extinction?  Military supplies are key resources for the inevitable zombie apocalypse.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

Not the ruger..

None of the above. With the makeup of the House it'll be a cold day in hell before we have a new Federal gun ban.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like a Kalifornication survival gun since everything of any real usefulness has been banned by the dope-smoking hippie Obamunists.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#36]
A 870 is better.  Shot for birds and critters and slugs for larger animals.  More accurate than the 44 Carbine and longer range
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Sounds like a Kalifornication survival gun since everything of any real usefulness has been banned by the dope-smoking hippie Obamunists.

Not banned:

M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
M1A

Cali is hardly defenseless.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Time again for the 6 month review on my cancer.. got the results back (see the Dr today). and im clean, again.. 3.5 years now..

In those last 3.5 years my attitude has changed about the gun community, don't know if its the chemo, getting old or what. But in general its gone down hill. Seeing it on a day to day basis in my shop, on the net and else where. only strengthens my view. And one of the reasons for retiring from the gunsmith profession.

I hate to say it but there are a lot of people that should not have firearms (but they do have the right to own and use), and sadly many post here.

Made many a friend here and lost a few more over the years. But my hobbies are taking me in another direction.

So in short I'm posting this, so in a months time I don't get and e-mail saying hey man you OK? Your not posting on arf any more.

So good bye, and may your journey through life be a happy one..

So.. You decided that us whacko's that shouldn't own guns would be a good place to ask a ?  about SHTF rifle?  Guess we're worth something after all...

rr
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

More brilliance from Illinois?

You got your FOID handy?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Wouldn't be my first choice, but if I had one it would be a high level choice for a trunk gun.  A 44 mag out of a long barrel is nothing to be trifled with.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More brilliance from Illinois?

You got your FOID handy?

OMGWTFBBQ!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Wouldn't be my first choice, but if I had one it would be a high level choice for a trunk gun.  A 44 mag out of a long barrel is nothing to be trifled with.

Personally, I'd go with a Marlin over the Deerfield.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Time again for the 6 month review on my cancer.. got the results back (see the Dr today). and im clean, again.. 3.5 years now..

In those last 3.5 years my attitude has changed about the gun community, don't know if its the chemo, getting old or what. But in general its gone down hill. Seeing it on a day to day basis in my shop, on the net and else where. only strengthens my view. And one of the reasons for retiring from the gunsmith profession.

I hate to say it but there are a lot of people that should not have firearms (but they do have the right to own and use), and sadly many post here.

Made many a friend here and lost a few more over the years. But my hobbies are taking me in another direction.

So in short I'm posting this, so in a months time I don't get and e-mail saying hey man you OK? Your not posting on arf any more.

So good bye, and may your journey through life be a happy one..

So.. You decided that us whacko's that shouldn't own guns would be a good place to ask a ?  about SHTF rifle?  Guess we're worth something after all...

rr

ya you guys are just so huggable.. or im like a battered wife. that just cant stay away..
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

light weight
Good out to 100+ yards..

I like the Ruger.

But if we're talking shtf, for both self defense & hunting.....

I'd rather have a 44 lever gun, six lbs, just as fast, more magazine capacity, you can feed it, topping up the mag as you go.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
learn to be a marksman not a shooter.

Why not just have at it with a cricket .22? Ammo is plentiful!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#46]
i inherited my dad's a few years ago...shoots good, just stay away from cci ammo.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Always wanted to get one but never did due solely to it's magazine capacity. Bring out a 20 or 30 round magazine and I'd have one beside the bed as a home defense rifle in a heartbeat. As it stands I have lever rifles in 44 that hold more and work fine.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:49:20 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

ya you guys are just so huggable.. or im like a battered wife. that just cant stay away..

Thank god!  Cause I was missing your avatar.  It disturbs me every time I see it and have to think of that video....

rr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top