Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/27/2005 7:33:08 PM EDT
Greetings:
I was raised Roman Catholic, buy have lived most of my life more or less as an agnostic. I believe that we all love and are loved by the same God. Of late, I have been intrigued by certain aspects of the Jewish faith. In fact, I sometimes tell people that I'm not Jewish, but I am Jew-ish.

Regardless, I as contemplating attending Rosh Hashanah services next week. I know we have many Jewish members here at ARFCOM. Any advice for me?

Thanks, and l'chaim!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:33:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
Greetings:
I was raised Roman Catholic, buy have lived most of my life more or less as an agnostic. I believe that we all love and are loved by the same God. Of late, I have been intrigued by certain aspects of the Jewish faith. In fact, I sometimes tell people that I'm not Jewish, but I am Jew-ish.

Regardless, I as contemplating attending Rosh Hashanah services next week. I know we have many Jewish members here at ARFCOM. Any advice for me?

Thanks, and l'chaim!

For the cold hard facts...as Traditional Jews see it.

You are not Jewish and you dont need to be. You lose nothing because of it and you do not benifit because of it. Doing Jewish things as a non Jew does not in anyway gain you any level of spirituality or closeness to G-d. The Jewish path to G-d is the path for Jews. As a non Jews you have the ability to connect with G-d as well, He is the G-d of all creation, but yout path is different. If you are just interested, that is fine.

If it is anything less (ANYTHING) than a 100% orthodox service, you are getting something less than Torah Judaism. If it is conservative or reformed (And dollars to doughnuts says it is) you will be attending a service that has been gleaned over from the Orthodox that has been massivly condensed and made to appear more like a Protostant church service. (not kidding)

So the question becomes, If you are really interested in Jewish things, Do you want a form of diet Judaism that is really less than 200 years old and has its roots in politics or do you really want to experiance Traditional Judaism?

This is not ment to be offensive to Reformed or Conservative Jews, If they are Jewish, they can worship zues (G-d forbid) and they are every bit as Jewish as a Moses himself, but that doesnt mean what they are doing is Traditional Judaism.

Lachiam to you as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:13:16 AM EDT
neshomamench:

Thank you for your candid reply.

DzlBenz
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:31:40 AM EDT
It is a very long and unless you go to a synagouge that does the service in English...could be confusing. Why not try a synagouge with an outreach program, a more informal service where you can talk with and learn Judiasm.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:52:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/30/2005 9:53:54 AM EDT by scuba_ed]

Originally Posted By neshomamench:

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
Greetings:

Thanks, and l'chaim!

For the cold hard facts...as Traditional Jews see it.

You are not Jewish and you dont need to be. You lose nothing because of it and you do not benifit because of it. Doing Jewish things as a non Jew does not in anyway gain you any level of spirituality or closeness to G-d. The Jewish path to G-d is the path for Jews. As a non Jews you have the ability to connect with G-d as well, He is the G-d of all creation, but yout path is different. If you are just interested, that is fine.

If it is anything less (ANYTHING) than a 100% orthodox service, you are getting something less than Torah Judaism. If it is conservative or reformed (And dollars to doughnuts says it is) you will be attending a service that has been gleaned over from the Orthodox that has been massivly condensed and made to appear more like a Protostant church service. (not kidding)

So the question becomes, If you are really interested in Jewish things, Do you want a form of diet Judaism that is really less than 200 years old and has its roots in politics or do you really want to experiance Traditional Judaism?

This is not ment to be offensive to Reformed or Conservative Jews, If they are Jewish, they can worship zues (G-d forbid) and they are every bit as Jewish as a Moses himself, but that doesnt mean what they are doing is Traditional Judaism.

Lachiam to you as well.

Re:

"..you do not benifit because of it. Doing Jewish things as a non Jew does not in anyway gain you any level of spirituality or closeness to G-d. The Jewish path to G-d is the path for Jews. As a non Jews you have the ability to connect with G-d as well, He is the G-d of all creation, but yout path is different. If you are just interested, that is fine."

I appreciate what neshomamench has attempted to relate, though he is Orthodox, and as little respect as he has shown you, so too does his feeling percolate downwards to other mainstream Jews.

Re:

"Regardless, I as contemplating attending Rosh Hashanah services next week. I know we have many Jewish members here at ARFCOM. Any advice for me?"

___

By all means, if you're interested, and are able to obtain seating in a synogogue and are also able to be away from work, you should indulge yourself. I would ask of you though that you also go to Yom Kippur services. Better, too, would be to consider the interval between these days as Yom Kippur that of solemn self-inquiry.

___
Re:

Anything said by neshomamench, please disregard. He is his own and paradoxical Jewish Anti-Semite.

Best of luck to you.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:14:40 AM EDT
My friend's Mother was rescued from acamp by his Father, U.S. Calvary....she made it simple...you didn't have to be Jewish Enough for Hitler. I ahve run into some orthodox, most were fine as me being a A Reform by choice, one was a little put down, I straightened him out....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:18:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheWind:
My friend's Mother was rescued from acamp by his Father, U.S. Calvary....she made it simple...you didn't have to be Jewish Enough for Hitler. I ahve run into some orthodox, most were fine as me being a A Reform by choice, one was a little put down, I straightened him out....

Hi 'Wind -- glad to see you post again!

Ed
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:22:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheWind:
It is a very long and unless you go to a synagouge that does the service in English...could be confusing. Why not try a synagouge with an outreach program, a more informal service where you can talk with and learn Judiasm.

Dude, you said "...a synagouge with an outreach program"

neshomamench ain't gonna like that!! I mentioned that several posts ago, in another thread, and was told I was offering invalid teachings of Judaism!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:23:56 AM EDT
It doesn't matter. The Bible teaches and yes the Torah teaches that ALL Jews will recognize Christ as their savior at an appointed time and that 144,000 Jewish priests will save millions around the world to Christ during the time of the Great Tribulation.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:34:23 AM EDT
Thanks Ed, been busy working on the new house...the Dojo will also be a Synagouge on select Friday nights. I am getting a group of Celtic Jews together....I have to email you a fasciunating book on the Jewish influence in the Isles, and that until the Whitby Conference they were actually practicing Judiasm.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:38:23 AM EDT

144,000 Jewish priests warriors

I corrected it...there are many of the remenants of the Temple Guards that will come to existance. Remember that everytime they seperated us form Israel, those that had Balls, fled to remote areas rather than be enslaved...there is even some theories that the Ninja are descended as are the Forest people of China.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:01:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hawker:
It doesn't matter. The Bible teaches and yes the Torah teaches that ALL Jews will recognize Christ as their savior at an appointed time and that 144,000 Jewish priests will save millions around the world to Christ during the time of the Great Tribulation.

Uhh, just let me ask you something...does any sort of reference come by your interpretation of "...144,000 Jewish priests will save millions around the world to Christ during the time of the Great Tribulation".

Golly, I enjoy the occasional SCI-FI movie...but, does this really mean sense to you...even some sort of common sense? If it does, I believe I may be able to help you. Please send all your money to me, a Jew, 'cause I can make better use of it to help victims of the hurricanes!!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:21:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/30/2005 4:41:58 PM EDT by VA-gunnut]
***Edited<va-gunnut>***
There are two ways to be Jewish, It is that simple, and it is the way it has always been. If your mother was Jewish at the time of your birth, you are a Jew. If you have had a Halachic (Done according to Jewish Law) Conversion you are Jewish. Thats it, nothing else. If you start a group and call it "Jewish" and say I am a member of that group, that still does not make you Jewish.

If you wanted to know about Catholics and what they think, Who would you listen to? Someone who studied for the Priesthood for many years and is still a devout Catholic? Or a person that has never been to seminary nor do Catholics consider him Catholic but claims to be Catholic?

I am not arguing right or wrong, I am not entering into religious arguments, Question about Judaism, or misrepresentations are made, that is my only interest here.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:26:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/30/2005 4:41:11 PM EDT by VA-gunnut]

Originally Posted By Hawker:

No, not quite...well, not my Torah anyway. Your Bible may as well also say that in the end everybody gets a really cool giant clown balloon.

Your post means nothing to Jews...and please don't try to force it upon us...***Edited<va-gunnut>***

Top Top