Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2007 4:20:28 PM EDT
Rookie SF police officer accidentally shoots himself to death

John Cote, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, August 13, 2007

(08-13) 10:27 PDT SAN MATEO -- An off-duty San Francisco rookie police officer died after he accidentally shot himself during a party at his San Mateo apartment over the weekend, authorities said today.

James Gustafson, 23, of San Mateo died early Saturday. The circumstances surrounding the shooting are under investigation, San Mateo County coroner Robert Foucrault said.

"I believe he was at a party and sometime during the party the weapon was produced and discharged," Foucrault said.

San Mateo police responded to a report of gunshot in the 100 block of El Camino Real at 1:40 a.m. and found Gustafson wounded in his apartment.

"The victim was at home with friends when the tragic accident occurred," police Capt. Kevin Raffaelli said in a statement. "The victim was in possession of his firearm when he accidentally discharged it, striking himself."

It was unclear whether the gun was Gustafson's service weapon, Foucrault said.

"It was a tragic death, to say the least," he said.

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/13/BAGKARHNPS6.DTL
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow... good thing SF and other PD's try to avoid hiring "gun nuts" to be cops.

Torn between calling him a dumbshit and the usual RIP Brother.

Rule #1 - the gun is always loaded.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
At least he wasn't a 5yr old.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh man!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have seen plenty of soldiers and Marines have negligent discharges. It happens. I think the smart ass comments about "not hiring gun nuts", good shoot, a photo of Darwin etc are unfounded and inappropriate. People make mistakes. And mistakes with firearms are lethal and can be avoided. But they don't make someone stupid or worthless. If it had been one of our members who NGed and killed themself would you be laughing?

In combat, I can understand.

At a party at 1:40 Saturday morning, no excuse to have the gun out.

That's the only reason I said "Good Shoot".  The irresponsible individual (worded so as not to seem disrespectful) may well have harmed somebody else.  Where's the justice in that?

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oh man!

Going straight down the tubes quick...

IBTL

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I will bet next weeks pay check that alcohol was involved.

Alcohol and gunsirresponsible people don't mix.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I will bet next weeks pay check that alcohol was involved.

Alcohol and gunsirresponsible people don't mix.

maybe weed, or coke, or meth also.

I think this incident is indicative of some of the mindsets that cops have when they officially become cops.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]
This is what happens in a society where guns are taboo. Pretty soon, nobody knows how to handle guns with the proper respect, and they become toys or playthings, with similar results to this.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Alcohol=NO guns. Absolutely tragic, entirely preventable incident.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Stupid mistake, but RIP officer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#11]
That wasn't an accidental shooting. That was him being a dumbass. Just like 99% of 'accidental' shootings.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#12]
guns and boos don't mix. no matter how trained you think you are.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This is what happens in a society where guns are taboo. Pretty soon, nobody knows how to handle guns with the proper respect, and they become toys or playthings, with similar results to this.

No, I'm pretty sure some cavemen ended up stuck with their own spears as well.  A certain portion of the population happen to be dipshits and like to get themselves dead by trying to impress those around them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
 Good Shoot

Please do not be an asshole.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Good Shoot

Please do not be an asshole.

If somebody had to be harmed because of his inability to safely handle a firearm....

it only seems fair.

Could've been somebody else.  If that makes me an asshole, oh well.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#16]
we do not applaud the accidental death of law enforcement officers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top