Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2002 3:09:31 PM EDT
I'm going to be putting a new roof on my dad's house soon. The roof is currently asphalt shingles. We are considering putting on metal roofing. I have never put tin on a roof, but it seems like it would be much easier and faster.
Anyone have experience with this stuff? Or opinions on tin roofs?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I am no expert on roofing materials but based on my limited experience, a tin sheet metal roof house will be warmer on the insides compared to one with asphalt shingles. This may cause your A/C cost to go up.

If your house is solidly built, why don't you seek advice on clay roofing shingles.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Clay tiles are great, but not really an option in this case. Mostly because I am going to be doing all the work myself. I was leaning towards tin because it is much easier to load on the roof and I'm getting lazy in my old age.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
  Well GMF, I've been a carpenter for the last 10 years. IMO you can't beat asphalt shingles simply for durability -vs- cost. Metal roofs simply don't hold up as long as shingles.
  Plus, you'd be surprised at how easy and quick they go on.
  You can go for the traditional "3 tab" or the newer "architect" style. The "arc's" cost a bit more, but #1: have a longer warranty, # 2: are easier to put on, and #3 (IMO): look better.
   But a MORE important question, are you going over the originals, or stripping them off?
You can just "lay over" 1 (ONE) layer of roofing, BUT NOT OVER 2 (TWO) !!!!!
  Hope this helps...If you need any further help E-Mail me...Jack
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I cannot speak for the 'ease of installation', since I'm  merely an architect, not a roofer, but I can tell you these points:

1. If a metal roof is not properly installed, you will get "oil canning", a popping sound as the roof heats/cools with sunrise/ sunset/ shade/ shaddow and sometimes even with wind.

2. I believe there are specialized tools for crimping and bending the "battens" or "standing seams", depending on which kind you choose.

3. There should be no difference in heating/cooling costs if your attic is properly ventilated.  If it's not properly ventilated, it doesn't really matter which kind of roof you choose.

Your stats say you're in Arizona?  Is that where the house you're re-roofing is located?  I'm curious because one of my clients and I just spent a lot of time researching rain-harvesting systems for a house in the Texas hill country.

Turns out a metal roof is the best option for catching rain water.  I know AZ probably gets even less rain than the hill country, but y'all are going to have the same water problems that they are.

If you think you might be interested in something like that in the future, you should consider buying the metal roof that doesn't come with an oily/chemical film on it (most do have this as an added layer of protection against corrostion).
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]

I have been a contractor here in Texas since 1983...

A "V" crimp Galv. roof is Probably what your looking for. Don't use the cheap corrugated stuff you can buy at home depot..  also, a rosin paper is recommended instead of or in addition to the standard felt tar  paper...the rosin paper is usually a light red color.  You cant legally or and the very least safely install a 3rd roof like someone previously posted... and use Plated hex head screws with poly rubber seals instead of lead head nails...

If money is available..  a commercial "R" panel ( heavier Guage) would be the way to go... baked on paint finish in white makes a great UV reflective roof.

If your Dads roof is not Plywood decked under the composition roof, then you'll need to locate the slats for your screws to hit...   slats would have been used in older homes with a cedar shake roof...

Good luck  [:)]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info. and opinions. I suppose I'll have to go with shingles, due to the difference in price. The tin that looks good costs a little more than I expected.

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are going to put on a shingle roof, don't use the shortest roofing nails that are available.  I have a friend who was told to use the shortest nails, and he had nothing but trouble with the shingles coming loose.

Vulcan94
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top