Attorney General Eric Holder said this week that the Justice
Department is examining whether Assange can be charged with a crime for
posting hundreds of thousands of leaked government intelligence
documents and diplomatic cables.

Many Republicans have gone even further in their attacks on Assange,
especially former Arkansas GOP Gov. Mike Huckabee, who said this week
that the WikiLeaks founder should be tried for treason and executed if
found guilty.

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12/03/ron-paul-stands-wikileaker-founder#ixzz174tWdsAD

Wow......

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to get kicked in the nuts for this, but I support him.  Don't necessarily think it was wise to divulge all the info with the military leaks though.  I'll just leave it at that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, he does have a point considering how the New York Slimes gets away with the the information they publish.  That paper has been leaking information for 60 plus years.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm going to get kicked in the nuts for this, but I support him.  Don't necessarily think it was wise to divulge all the info with the military leaks though.  I'll just leave it at that.

spred um.......

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I in no way support the soldier who abused his access to information to betray his country, but, why shouldn't a website have same protections as traditional print and TV media. The big news corps have reported leaked info over and over with no repercussions because the 1st Amendment allows us freedom of speech and freedom of the press. And two, how can we possibly try a foreigner with treason, he has no duty of loyalty.

Frankly, I think wikileaks is a good thing, we need somebody watching the government the way they watch us.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#5]
The media shouldn't get away with this either. Ron Paul is nuts.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#6]
One of the few times I can say I agree wholeheartedly with Ron Paul...
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Free speech can be a bitch sometimes.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#8]
A broken clock, I suppose.

Huckabee's a real idiot if he actually said that. Never going to have a nice word to say about him again. That's "danger stupid," especially since he's talking about killing someone.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That said, I still hope the CIA find him in some hotel room and shoot him in the face, as a warning to others who choose to deliberately try to weaken the U.S. military and foreign policy.  Fuck that guy.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) is taking a stand as one of Julian Assange’s few defenders in Washington, arguing that the WikiLeaks founder should get the same protections as the media.

Attorney General Eric Holder said this week that the Justice Department is examining whether Assange can be charged with a crime for posting hundreds of thousands of leaked government intelligence documents and diplomatic cables.

Many Republicans have gone even further in their attacks on Assange, especially former Arkansas GOP Gov. Mike Huckabee, who said this week that the WikiLeaks founder should be tried for treason and executed if found guilty.

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12/03/ron-paul-stands-wikileaker-founder#ixzz174tWdsAD

Wow......

http://www.essayscam.org/Forum/shared_files/storage/main/never_go_full_retard.jpg

I think Huckabee went full retard on that––––how exactly can someone commit treason against a country not their own?
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Perhaps he should be treated as a Spy and dealt with as a Spy should be dealt with.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That said, I still hope the CIA find him in some hotel room and shoot him in the face, as a warning to others who choose to deliberately try to weaken the U.S. military and foreign policy.  Fuck that guy.

Yeah, fuck the standards our country is based on! We should just "disappear" anyone we don't like!

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Ron Paul: Predictably and reliably WRONG on everything but guns.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Perhaps he should be treated as a Spy and dealt with as a Spy should be dealt with.

But he's not a spy.

If we treat people who aren't spies like spies, then we set a soviet style precedent that can be used against you, me, or anyone else.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I agree.  That douchebag Assange is NOT a U.S. citizen, took no oath to the U.S, is operating outside U.S. juristicion, and is passing on information that someone else (a traitor) gave him.  So unless he has made statement indicating an intent to attack the U.S. (in a cyber-attack), or to deliberately want to target the U.S. for harm, I'm not sure what he has done wrong that could lead him to be prosecuted under U.S. law.  

espionage is illegal DK..you get caught... you disappear.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I in no way support the soldier who abused his access to information to betray his country, but, why shouldn't a website have same protections as traditional print and TV media. The big news corps have reported leaked info over and over with no repercussions because the 1st Amendment allows us freedom of speech and freedom of the press. And two, how can we possibly try a foreigner with treason, he has no duty of loyalty.

Frankly, I think wikileaks is a good thing, we need somebody watching the government the way they watch us.

I think you're discounting the hundred if not thousand of people's lives now put in danger because of these leaks.

Here, you think this guy will be breathing long?

––––

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/lebanon-defense-minister-offered-invasion-advice-for-israel-1.328521

Lebanon defense minister 'offered invasion advice for Israel'

Elias Murr advised U.S. diplomats on how Israel could 'clean out' Hezbollah from southern Lebanon, WikiLeaks cable shows.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That said, I still hope the CIA find him in some hotel room and shoot him in the face, as a warning to others who choose to deliberately try to weaken the U.S. military and foreign policy. Fuck that guy.

Yeah, fuck the standards our country is based on! We should just "disappear" anyone we don't like!

You are really naive. You think the outside of the world is nice, peaceful and quiet like the suburb you grew up in?

The shit he is releasing is getting many people killed. Freedom of speech doesn't apply to foriegn nationals and it most certainly has limits in that what you say cannot be used to kill people or start violent uprisings. Not to mention a major threat to national security.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So what's the difference between shooting someone in the face and hitting someone with a Hellfire from a Predator? We kill people we don't like all the time.

ETA: Let me expound on this a bit further.
He is not a US citizen. He is operating outside US jurisdiction. He is not entitled to Constitutional protections.
We kill messengers for nothing more than providing the enemy information that can harm our troops/operations/sources. He has acted in the same fashion, by providing information that can harm our troops/operations/sources.

Should we prosecute him? I don't think so.

Killing is good though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all."  - H.L. Mencken
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

But he's not a spy.

If we treat people who aren't spies like spies, then we set a soviet style precedent that can be used against you, me, or anyone else.

Don't Spies steal Classified information among other things?
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What, trade him to the Aussies for someone they have who we want?
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

But he's not a spy.

Sure, but uncaring attention whore is the appropriate label for someone who just publishes everything that other people (some of them appropriately classified as traitors) send to him.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Some people stand on principles and some people make decisions based on emotion.

herp derp.. Assange(non american) should be tried for treason..
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#25]

The wikileaks guy.. maybe there is some room for discussion on that guy...
But what about these fucks who leaked the info?
Treason? Put them to death? whats going on here?

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all."  - H.L. Mencken

how exactly is releasing classified material that deprives people of life "freedom of speech"?

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Free speech?  OK cool, how about if he steals the nuclear launch codes for the country and publishes them, or better yet what if I steal the alarm code for your house and the combo for your gun safe and publish it everywhere?   Or  steal your online bank logon and publish it?    Free speech doesn't mean I steal your info and get to publish it.    

Some information needs to be protected.  PFC Manning and Assange both need to go to jail for a long time.    Yes, you want a transparent society to the extent possible - that doesn't mean governments never have secrets and should not be protecting secret communications.    

As far as the New York Times and medai, if they steal secrets and leak them then the rule of law needs to apply and they need to be punished as well.    Ordinarily I like most of what Ron Paul says but on this he is nuts and so are the people on here who don;t get that national defense and diplomacy sometimes involves discretion.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Ron Paul, most worshiped douchebag on GD.

One more reason that fucking fool will NEVER be president.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+ 1

I want the bank information/Federal reserve information. The cables are embarrassing for Sith Lord Clinton and her hidden agenda???
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Free speech?  OK cool, how about if he steals the nuclear launch codes for the country and publishes them, or better yet what if I steal the alarm code for your house and the combo for your gun safe and publish it everywhere?   Or  steal your online bank logon and publish it?    Free speech doesn't mean I steal your info and get to publish it.    

Some information needs to be protected.  PFC Manning and Assange both need to go to jail for a long time.    Yes, you want a transparent society to the extent possible - that doesn't mean governments never have secrets and should not be protecting secret communications.    

As far as the New York Times and medai, if they steal secrets and leak them then the rule of law needs to apply and they need to be punished as well.    Ordinarily I like most of what Ron Paul says but on this he is nuts and so are the people on here who don;t get that national defense and diplomacy sometimes involves discretion.

ok.. but where is the push back?  When all can be made secret and kept from the public, how can the public make educated decisions, especially when the media walks lock step with the government? If you say its ok to keep secrets where is the line and who decides where that line is?       Right now corruption is hidden from the public and that stranglehold of information must be broken.

Right now No One is watching the Watchmen  and we are getting screwed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you're discounting the hundred if not thousand of people's lives now put in danger because of these leaks.

Here, you think this guy will be breathing long?

––––

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/lebanon-defense-minister-offered-invasion-advice-for-israel-1.328521

Lebanon defense minister 'offered invasion advice for Israel'

Elias Murr advised U.S. diplomats on how Israel could 'clean out' Hezbollah from southern Lebanon, WikiLeaks cable shows.

I'm not discounting anything. I think we've allowed our government to become way too secretive and underhanded. And I think Wikileaks providing a forum for people to expose the dirty secrets of governments and corporations is a positive thing.  

Manning is the one guilty of treason here. He along with the intelligence system that allows low ranking soldiers to haev so much access sensitive are responsible for nay damage this does.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That said, I still hope the CIA find him in some hotel room and shoot him in the face, as a warning to others who choose to deliberately try to weaken the U.S. military and foreign policy. Fuck that guy.

You are really naive. You think the outside of the world is nice, peaceful and quiet like the suburb you grew up in?

The shit he is releasing is getting many people killed. Freedom of speech doesn't apply to foriegn nationals and it most certainly has limits in that what you say cannot be used to kill people or start violent uprisings. Not to mention a major threat to national security.

While I agree the world is not sunshine and unicorns, does anyone have any actual evidence of someone being killed due to Wikileaked stuff?  The media is strangely silent on this...
As far as the diplomacy stuff, well, it makes good news, but does ANYONE actually think Iran didn't know Saudi Arabi would prefer Tehran to be paved over with glass?   There will be some posturing, but nothing that I've seen so far is news to anyone.    Finally, Assange is a slimy bastard, but the actual traitor is the soldier who broke his oath, broke the law and will quite possibly be punished accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

how exactly is releasing classified material that deprives people of life "freedom of speech"?

In exactly the same way that killing or otherwise punishing a journalist/blogger/whatever is in any way related to the crime of stealing the information in the first place.

Anyone calling for Assange's head is a fascist douche.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But he's not a spy.

He didn't steal anything.

He's what's called "the press" - he publishes things.

That little wretch Manning should be prosecuted for divulging the secrets he did, but he's the only one guilty of that offense.

We have freedom of the press here.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ron Paul is nuts.

And Wikileaks isn't media. It's a non-partisan espionage agency.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ron Paul: Predictably and reliably WRONG on everything but guns.

Pretty much what I think of your posts.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ron Paul is nuts.

And Wikileaks CNN, MSNBC, WallStreet Journal, New York Times etc isn't media. It's a non-partisan espionage agency.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The wikileaks guy.. maybe there is some room for discussion on that guy...

But what about these fucks who leaked the info?

Treason? Put them to death? whats going on here?

The one who got caught so far, is awaiting trial...

He's military, and the court martial panel (military jury - a mix of officers & NCOs) will decide his fate....

Somehow, I don't think there will be a problem with 'bleeding hearts' when it comes to the penalty phase....

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#39]
And people call me crazy when I say Ron Paul is a wacko
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

But he's not a spy.

That little wretch Manning should be prosecuted for divulging the secrets he did, but he's the only one guilty of that offense.

Wikileaks is not 'the press'. They are an organization hostile to the US, seeking to undermine our war effort.

And since the guy running it is not a US citizen & not on US soil, there's no reason why we should even consider giving him a trial...

He should 'turn up dead'...

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Free speech? OK cool, how about if he steals the nuclear launch codes for the country and publishes them, or better yet what if I steal the alarm code for your house and the combo for your gun safe and publish it everywhere? Or steal your online bank logon and publish it? Free speech doesn't mean I steal your info and get to publish it.

Some information needs to be protected. PFC Manning and Assange both need to go to jail for a long time. Yes, you want a transparent society to the extent possible - that doesn't mean governments never have secrets and should not be protecting secret communications.

As far as the New York Times and medai, if they steal secrets and leak them then the rule of law needs to apply and they need to be punished as well. Ordinarily I like most of what Ron Paul says but on this he is nuts and so are the people on here who don;t get that national defense and diplomacy sometimes involves discretion.

Nail on the fucking head

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#42]
The U.S. Government is afraid that all the skeletons in their closet might see the light of day, huh? The founder of WikiLeaks is a hero.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But he's not a spy.

Wikileaks is not 'the press'.

And since the guy running it is not a US citizen & not on US soil, there's no reason why we should even consider giving him a trial...

He should 'turn up dead'...

Do you think we should give him polonium or do you prefer some other poison for killing political dissident types like him?

Wikileaks is very much the press. All it does is disseminate information, which is, not coincidentally, also the definition of what the press does.

Whether or not he's an American is irrelevant. We're Americans and we have to act that way.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

QFT!!!

there's some things the common man doesn't need to know about.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Let me ask: Why is he releasing Classified Government documents? To what end does it serve? Hoorah for his whistle blowing, uncovering fraud and corrupt politicians and Business leaders, I give credit for that.  What Classified Government information has he released that has helped the citizens of this country? Just askin...
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok.. but where is the push back?  When all can be made secret and kept from the public, how can the public make educated decisions, especially when the media walks lock step with the government? If you say its ok to keep secrets where is the line and who decides where that line is?       Right now corruption is hidden from the public and that stranglehold of information must be broken.

Right now No One is watching the Watchmen  and we are getting screwed.

You got a lot of questions there.  I'm certainly not arguing that all should be made secret.  Far from it.   We currently have a FOIA process that designates some information as national security related.  It's possible it inclues too much as national security related but that is a bigger question.  To answer your questions the legislatures and the courts decide.  

As far as state secrets this is thousands of years old.  Sun-Tzu told leaders to pay their spies well.    As far as wikilleaks, for example do you as an American citizen REALLY need to know that some state department guy called Angela Merkel dull and unimaginative?  No, communciations like that are confidential for a reason.  They are embarassing and if you take away the ability of government people to talk to each other discreetly then you damage our diplomatic efforts overseas.  

On mnost domestic issues there should be very little secret information.  I'm a big Fox News watcher, but your comment about "media locktep with government" soudns like Rush or Glen Beck or somebody.    They get SOME stuff right but don't take them too seriously.    Yes, the media is lefty and loves Obama, but all of the media is hardly "lockstep with the govenrment" - witness Fox News itself, hardly "lockstep with the government".   The biggest problem is that most people don;t demand much rigor or quality from the news so they are fed crap - and that goes for a lot of right leaning news commentary too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I agree. That douchebag Assange is NOT a U.S. citizen, took no oath to the U.S, is operating outside U.S. juristicion, and is passing on information that someone else (a traitor) gave him. So unless he has made statement indicating an intent to attack the U.S. (in a cyber-attack), or to deliberately want to target the U.S. for harm, I'm not sure what he has done wrong that could lead him to be prosecuted under U.S. law.

Newsletter, do you have one ?
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Let me ask: Why is he releasing Classified Government documents? To what end does it serve? Hoorah for his whistle blowing, uncovering fraud and corrupt politicians and Business leaders, I give credit for that.  What Classified Government information has he released that has helped the citizens of this country? Just askin...

He and a lot of others, including posters in this thread, believe in transparency for transparency's sake because they don't like or trust the government or other institutions.

Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

QFT!!!

there's some things the common man doesn't need to know about.

And government abuses their ability to hide info from us far more than we should put up with. Furthermore, we can't possibly apply "the rule of law" to Assange, he isn't in the US nor is he US citizen. That leaves assassination. So, is assassinating Australian nationals what you call discretion, because I'm sure that would be great for diplomacy?
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ 1

I want the bank information/Federal reserve information. The cables are embarrassing for Sith Lord Clinton and her hidden agenda???

The cables are embarrassing for our entire nation and harmful to out interests and positions as well.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top