Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/4/2012 9:27:30 AM EDT
DES MOINES — Ron Paul may have officially come in third tonight, but if the campaign's caucus strategy went off as planned, then Paul may actually be the real winner of the first Republican voting contest.
That's because Paul's massive organizational push in Iowa focused on both winning votes, and also on making sure that Paul supporters stuck around after the vote to make sure they were selected as county delegates — the first step towards being elected as a delegate to the Republican National Convention.
That's because Iowa's Republican caucuses are non-binding — they are technically just a straw poll, so once selected, delegates are free to vote for whichever presidential candidate they choose.
"Part of what we've been training the Ron Paul people to do is not to leave after the vote," Dan Godzich, a senior campaign advisor, told BI. "Stay and get elected to the conventions and get us those delegates."
Godzich and Sydney Hay, another Paul advisor, crisscrossed Iowa in the weeks leading up to the caucuses, making sure precinct leaders knew what to do and organizing slates of delegates that would ensure Paul walked away with a strong majority, even if he lost the caucus' straw poll vote.
By the eve of Election Day, Hay said she was confident that Paul would come away from Iowa with a strong majority of the state's delegates. It's a good first step toward making sure that Paul has a strong presence on the floor in Tampa this summer — something that his supporters believe will help force the Republican party to start reckoning with their Movement.
UPDATE: 1:40 a.m.
Sources close to the Paul campaign indicated Tuesday that they were happy with their delegate count. Although we couldn't get specific numbers, a source told Business Insider that Paul nailed down the delegates in all of Iowa's smaller counties, and made a strong showing in several larger ones.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ron-paul-winner-iowa-caucuses-strategy-201201#ixzz1iVrqWQya
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Paul wins!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#3]
If the other two democrats in republican clothing haven't figured this out yet either, they are not fit to be president.

Non-news.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#5]
So stealing the nomination is ok? Sounds like the same "The ends justify the means" bull crap that the libs seem to be so fond of.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only in Ron Paul's world could you win by coming in third.

He "secretly" won!

Ssshhhhhhhh.....

It's a secret.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Paulbots will believe anything

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats like saying the team with the best record going into the playoffs looses in the first round, really won.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Not that I'm a huge Ron Paul supporter but you do realize that in 2008 McCain came in 4th in Iowa, right? Not being first in Iowa means very little.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I love how CNN was explaining how 2nd place for Romney would actually be a victory. A third place win for Paul however, means his candidacy is over.

I swear if you have yet to go senile and you give the media any credibility whatsoever in an era in which nearly 100% of people under 40 get their news via the internet, I feel for you.

I almost felt bad for the babbling heads on CNN. the "Romney the Frontrunner" felatio was uncomfortable to watch. Like a bad SNL skit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Got to love a caucus!  

Woo hoo!  Go Ron!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It aligns closely with his foreign policy views.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that I'm a huge Ron Paul supporter but you do realize that in 2008 McCain came in 4th in Iowa, right? Not being first in Iowa means very little.

Most rational post by a paul fan ever.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I love how CNN was explaining how 2nd place for Romney would actually be a victory. A third place win for Paul however, means his candidacy is over.

I swear if you have yet to go senile and you give the media any credibility whatsoever in an era in which nearly 100% of people under 40 get their news via the internet, I feel for you.

I almost felt bad for the babbling heads on CNN. the "Romney the Frontrunner" felatio was uncomfortable to watch. Like a bad SNL skit.

I'm really seeing the age factor you have been talking about lately.

As the greatest generation leaves us so will their social stigmas and paranoias. And their reliance on the idiot box to be "Informed."

I asked my 76 year old mom (born again, strict "R" voter) the other day what she thought of Ron Paul.

She said he was a nut. I asked why she felt that way and she didn't know but she would get back to me.

Then the next time we talked I asked again and she said someone, she's not sure who, said on TV he will legalize heroin and give, yes give, Iran a nuclear bomb.

The media does it's job well on the weak, the lazy and the vulnerable. 20 years from now that may not be the case anymore.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pretty well sums up the msm on almost any subject.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Ron Paul has dementia.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm really seeing the age factor you have been talking about lately.

As the greatest generation leaves us so will their social stigmas and paranoias. And their reliance on the idiot box to be "Informed."

I asked my 76 year old mom (born again, strict "R" voter) the other day what she thought of Ron Paul.

She said he was a nut. I asked why she felt that way and she didn't know but she would get back to me.

Then the next time we talked I asked again and she said someone, she's not sure who, said on TV he will legalize heroin and give, yes give, Iran a nuclear bomb.

The media does it's job well on the weak, the lazy and the vulnerable. 20 years from now that may not be the case anymore.

I had really thought the MSM and top-50 newspaper markets would have been dead in the face of Cable, Satellite, and the Internet by this election cycle.

Guess not.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I could use the same argument to argue that I secretly won the Iowa caucus.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll say this about Ron Paul, whoever runs his campaign does a good job.  He plays dirty as fuck, and still claims the moral high ground- something democrats usually have a monopoly on.  He also does a good job with branding.  Republicans could learn a lot from his campaign.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Compare your delegate count to the other guys' :
http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/primaries/state/ia
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Ron paul did well it must be a conspiracy

Who's the nutjobs?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compare your delegate count to the other guys' :
http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/primaries/state/ia

It's non-binding.  All those delegates can vote for me.  In fact, because no one has ever heard of me, it's an even more secret win.  Shhhhh.   Don't tell anyone.

edited to add:  And I can't wait to see the look on Romney's face.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So stealing the nomination is ok? Sounds like the same "The ends justify the means" bull crap that the libs seem to be so fond of.

A political party of a given state has a right to control the method in which they select their candidate. Iowa need not be like VA or NH. Each has a fundimental right to chose their own system.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He "secretly" won!

Ssshhhhhhhh.....

It's a secret.

I bet he's going to be the secret president too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'll say this about Ron Paul, whoever runs his campaign does a good job.  He plays dirty as fuck, and still claims the moral high ground- something democrats usually have a monopoly on.  He also does a good job with branding.  Republicans could learn a lot from his campaign.

Everything in your post is correct. To expand upon this thought however, politics are dirty by design. The high road would be great, but our Roman DNA precludes such novel pleasantries.

This is just the beginning, as I have previously explained.

Time-Youth both on our side. The establishment enjoys neither.

The ideas put forth by Dr. Paul are like a cool drink of water to the under 50 crowd. Specifically, the under 45 crowd.

The ideals that the old man network have their heels dug into are viewed appropriately as a flat earth theory. Society changes and it's always at the hands of the young.

I look to the current older generation as a role model on how not to behave if I am blessed enough to reach that point.

A little respect and dialogue with youth, in lieu of repeated Leave it to Beaver coerced mandates would go a long way to bridge the gap. Don't expect the gap to be pontooned anytime

soon.

Marketing, branding and age demographics are everything. Perhaps they were not when the country waited until 10pm to get a watered down and network approved version of the news,

but they are now. It would be beneficial for party supporters and candidates to realize that it is no longer 1982.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#34]
That's just how the Iowa Caucus works.  The vote doesn't mean much.  Santorum won my precinct, but 100% of our delegates support Ron Paul.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like Ron Paul is playing the long game.....come in high enough in the polls in all the primaries and stack the convention with delegates who support you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sounds like Ron Paul is playing the long game.....come in high enough in the polls in all the primaries and stack the convention with delegates who support you.

I would LOVE to see it go to the convention. I want this as unpleasant for Romney and his obvious Republican base of support as possible.

If Republicans are going to insist upon being Government Party, authoritarian, statist, gun grabbing liberals....I want to make it as fucking hard as possible for them. Such behavior should

never be rewarded with easy wins.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The folks who know little about the election process out themselves pretty quickly with their comments...their organization of delegates was smart. Not sure it will matter in the end, but a good move nonetheless.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  He manages to generate a LOT of enthusiasm among followers, and can attract young people.

His views on Constitutional government are simply common sense...it's attractive to many people. I don't agree with his foreign policy, yet he has my vote. I think foreign policy will cease to matter once we're bankrupt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

That's just how the Iowa Caucus works.  The vote doesn't mean much.  Santorum won my precinct, but 100% of our delegates support Ron Paul.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Now that might be utterly insane enough to be true.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Republicans could learn a lot from his campaign.

I wish they'd learn from somebody.

Republicans are generally terrible at PR on a national level.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Now that might be utterly insane enough to be true.

Popular vote means dick.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The vote doesn't mean much.  Santorum won my precinct, but 100% of our delegates support Ron Paul.

Ron Paul loves Freedom WAY more than those stupid voters.

If you don't vote for Ron Paul, your vote isn't worth a damn.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Ron Paul secretly won so keep sending him money.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  He manages to generate a LOT of enthusiasm among followers, and can attract young people.

His views on Constitutional government are simply common sense...it's attractive to many people. I don't agree with his foreign policy, yet he has my vote. I think foreign policy will cease to matter once we're bankrupt.

This is the straw that broke the camels back for me on my primary vote.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#46]
That may be true, but he'll face stiff competition from Cain and Bachmann now that they've dropped out.  They took failure winning to another level by not even being candidates anymore.  It's a brilliant strategy.  The only question that really remains is whether Cain or Bachmann will be our next president.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the straw that broke the camels back for me on my primary vote.

Well, they made it easier by only giving you two choices too, heh.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The vote doesn't mean much.  Santorum won my precinct, but 100% of our delegates support Ron Paul.

Ron Paul loves Freedom WAY more than those stupid voters.

If you don't vote for Ron Paul, your vote isn't worth a damn.

Those stupid voters chose their delegates.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That may be true, but he'll face stiff competition from Cain and Bachmann now that they've dropped out.  They took failure winning to another level by not even being candidates anymore.  It's a brilliant strategy.  The only question that really remains is whether Cain or Bachmann will be our next president.  

Hilarity.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hilarity.

9-9-9 inches of stiffness
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top