Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2015 3:45:44 PM EDT
Around 1% sounded not so much, but Ouch.
I don't think I like this. Please save all the wise guy insults if you can, but I would appreciate any knowledgeable thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you actually done the rollover?  If not, why not put it into something like Fidelity or Vanguard?
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
1% is outrageous, that's just what the account manager is taking off the top - pay attention to what the Expense Ratios (ER) of the funds they are sticking you with along with sales loads.

Learn about some basic fundamentals in investing and do it yourself.  Check out Bogleheads.org  Even a moron can do this themselves for a fraction of what you are paying (0.25% all inclusive).

Some say that not everyone wants to learn and do it themselves, if they realized that they were being robbed blind and having to work significantly longer before retirement because they were too lazy to read a book over a week's time, they might change their mind.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1% is outrageous, that's just what the account manager is taking off the top - pay attention to what the Expense Ratios (ER) of the funds they are sticking you with along with sales loads.

Learn about some basic fundamentals in investing and do it yourself.  Check out Bogleheads.org  Even a moron can do this themselves for a fraction of what you are paying (0.25% all inclusive).

Some say that not everyone wants to learn and do it themselves, if they realized that they were being robbed blind and having to work significantly longer before retirement because they were too lazy to read a book over a week's time, they might change their mind.
View Quote

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/retirement-gamble/

Good video on just that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, really.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you an accountant, an attorney or a Insurance Guy?

I ask because what you said is sort of interesting.

Also to the Op, what are you getting for that 1%?

Is it just an asset allocation via modern port theory with re balancing or is there a more complex strategy involved.

I ask because if you were just look at any post on this website you would only think that the only investment products out there were some index funds and ETF's which while similar are not the same at all.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#6]
anybody tried wealthfront.com      any better?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#7]
anybody tried wealthfront.com      any better?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is it just an asset allocation via modern port theory with re balancing or is there a more complex strategy involved.

I ask because if you were just look at any post on this website you would only think that the only investment products out there were some index funds and ETF's which while similar are not the same at all.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am an Accountant by trade.  However I do not do anything professionally that is related it investments or corporate finances for that matter.
Because of my education I can easily calculate what some people pay for "Investment Advisers" and I find it appalling.

I also know that some people don't really have much interest in learning about finances.  For those people a 3 fund portfolio makes a lot of sense.  You really only have to learn the very basic fundamentals, make a simple plan and execute it with maybe an adjustment annually with no new research necessary.  Indexing gives broad exposure to a certain class of investments (mutual fund or ETF).
Another important thing that can be learned is to ignore the ups and down fluctuations.  More often than not people end up selling low and buying high.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am an Accountant by trade.  However I do not do anything professionally that is related it investments or corporate finances for that matter.
Because of my education I can easily calculate what some people pay for "Investment Advisers" and I find it appalling.

I also know that some people don't really have much interest in learning about finances.  For those people a 3 fund portfolio makes a lot of sense.  You really only have to learn the very basic fundamentals, make a simple plan and execute it with maybe an adjustment annually with no new research necessary.  Indexing gives broad exposure to a certain class of investments (mutual fund or ETF).
Another important thing that can be learned is to ignore the ups and down fluctuations.  More often than not people end up selling low and buying high.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get where you are coming from now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top