Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/25/2005 4:33:28 PM EDT
Here they go again. We should give them some federal funding or something, its not their fault this is happening.......

Article

Rolling blackouts cut power to about 500,000 Edison customers

High temperatures and the loss of a key transmission line Thursday forced power officials in Southern California to impose rolling blackouts, leaving as many as half a million people without power for an hour at a time, officials said.

The California Independent System Operator, which operates the electric grid in California, declared a Stage 3 transmission emergency at 3:57 p.m., said Gil Alexander, a spokesman for SoCal Edison.

It marked one of the most serious power emergencies since the 2002 power crisis.

"It's not related to operating reserves, it is a transmission emergency," said ISO spokeswoman Stephanie McCorkle.

The ISO ordered Edison to reduce demand throughout its territory, prompting initial blackouts in areas of Fontana, La Puente, Cathedral City, Huntington Beach, Long Beach and Ontario, Alexander said.

The utility scatters the outages to lessen the impact. The blackouts were expected to last about an hour before being shifted to other areas.

Higher than expected temperatures in 11 counties served by Edison created increased demand of about 1,500 megawatts. A megawatt is enough power to serve about 750 homes.

The situation was exacerbated by the sudden loss of key transmission lines from the Pacific Northwest, Alexander said.

The emergency order from the ISO caused Edison to reduce demand by 800 megawatts throughout its territory.

The ISO asked San Diego to shed 100 megawatts and other utilities to join Northern California was not affected by the shutdowns.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:35:04 PM EDT
It's their state. They insist they're so much better than we are, they can damn well fix their own problems.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:39:44 PM EDT
I'm in Huntington Beach and no sign of a rolling blackout in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:41:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 4:42:35 PM EDT by Airwolf]
It peaked out around 105 here at the house (east San Diego county). I think that's just about the hottest so far this season.

No power issues down here today but the forecast is for more of the same through the weekend.

ETA:

Status from the ISO: www.caiso.com/outlook/SystemStatus.html
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:41:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 4:43:06 PM EDT by Mauser101]
It was pretty warm today in NE San Diego County today.

When I left my apartment at 7:30 this morn I knew we were in for it. A cloudy (marine layer) filled sky and yet it wasn't the slighted bit cool out. Oh well, fall's just around the corner.

EDIT: It IS our fault it's happening. We've allowed the envirowheenies to run the state too long. Guess when the last power plant was built in southern california. It was probably longer ago than when I was born.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:43:07 PM EDT
They cant blame Enron this time. Maybe they'll blame Bush?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 4:46:01 PM EDT by Mauser101]

Originally Posted By raven:
They cant blame Enron this time. Maybe they'll blame Bush?

There is nobody to blame but "Not in my backyard" types. I would gladly support the building of a new nuke plant 5-10 miles from my home.

Just plant some trees around it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:56:27 PM EDT
The word just came out that they're cancelling the alert. They've fixed the transmission line that led to the blackouts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:54:16 PM EDT
Build more transmission lines and generating stations in kalifornistan, and you won't have those problems.

Then again, that might mess up someone's view in Malibu or some shit. Nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:58:36 PM EDT
Clean air, power...
Clean air, power...
Clean air, power...

Hmmm. Breathe well...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:58:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:59:16 PM EDT
*cough*

War of the worlds...

Top Top