Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 9:05:01 AM EDT
Recently I took my daughter to the library for her to do some research for a paper.

While she was looking up her stuff I passed my time looking through magazines.  They had a current issue of Rolling Stone on the rack.  I hadn't read this rag since the late 70s, so I picked it up out of curiosity.

What a non-stop flow of whiny, leftist, never-seen-the-real-world, smug, and clueless pap & drivel!

There was an article about the lead singer of Green Day.  This guy doesn't have a clue about real life, yet because of his extreme liberalism and anti-Bush attitudes they treated him like a freaking prophet of the Second Coming.

As I read it I could almost hear brain cells dying from exposure to this pretentious sewage.

Sadly, there are still enough people reading this tripe for the mag to stay in business.

What a waste.  It was like looking into the face of the enemy.  Tip: San Francisco is not the center of the world.

Oh well, the First Amendment still protects peoples' right to be stupid.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I came to the same conclusion in 1995 when I ran across the only copy of that rag I've ever bothered looking through.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Never read it, never will. Even though I'm a life-long musician and music-lover, I've never had any interest in wasting my time reading this mag. Might as well read Hit Parader or Circus magazines -- they are all crap.

FYI... I read Guitar Player when I want to actually LEARN something about music. Even that's a waste of time occasionally. But I did get a letter to the editor printed in there a few months ago. Unfortunately, it appeared in the Jerry Garcia issue!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Come on now guys, it could be of some beneficial use, especially IF your short of TP..........

Mike

ps - although the old Sears & Roebuck was always much more entertaining when I was young......
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Come on now guys, it could be of some beneficial use, especially IF your short of TP..........

Mike

ps - although the old Sears & Roebuck was always much more entertaining when I was young......

I'm not sure I'd want to expose my butt to something that toxic.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Know your enemy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#6]
This is nothing new! An issue from 1969  had a review of Led Zeppelin's first album.
The idiot writer stated that this album was a rip-off of Jeff Beck's album, Truth (with Rod Stewart on vocals)--that Zeppelin hadn't "said anything that Truth hadn't said better".  What utter tripe.
If you've listened to Zeppelin I, raise your hand.
If you've listened to Truth, raise your hand.
That's what I thought--Rolling Stone:  You sucked nads then, you suck nads now.
The next year, when Zeppelin II came out, the shit-gargling maggot reviewer panned it as well, adding that Plant's vocals on "Bring It On Home" was the worst kind of n***ger-mocking minstrelry imaginable (or words to that effect).
Oh yeah: I don't think they liked Rush to much either.  Bitches.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
(I think) Rolling Stone only has one semi-regular token Republican in P.J. O'Rourke.

The rest of RS is fluff; Communism, overpriced ghetto fashion and corporate music, basically.

They'd like to be rebellious about the corporate music, but Communism doesn't keep the lights on. ;D  
~~~~
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Rolling Stone is very useful if you're interested in becoming an ordained Minister in the Universal Life Church.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The "Q" is a British music mag that acutally talks about music and bands/groups/artists (or whatever they are called now).  They say "bollocks" and "cunt" a lot.  

Check that one out.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Rolling Stone is very useful if you're interested in becoming an ordained Minister in the Universal Life Church.

Hmmmm. I am an ordained minister in the ULC (three marriages performed) and it had nothing to do with Rolling Stone.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Never liked it either.  Not for the politics, there was just never anything good to read in it.  Couple that with my extreme hate for Top40...yup, no reason to read it.

The only music mags I've ever liked were Guitrar World, Maximum Rock n' Roll (only because of a few columnists), Revolver, and a few oddball fanzines.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmm. I am an ordained minister in the ULC (three marriages performed) and it had nothing to do with Rolling Stone.

My dad is an ordained ULC minister as well and he doesn't know of any connection to RS.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Never looked at it,
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Recently I took my daughter to the library for her to do some research for a paper.

While she was looking up her stuff I passed my time looking through magazines.  They had a current issue of Rolling Stone on the rack.  I hadn't read this rag since the late 70s, so I picked it up out of curiosity.

What a non-stop flow of whiny, leftist, never-seen-the-real-world, smug, and clueless pap & drivel!

There was an article about the lead singer of Green Day.  This guy doesn't have a clue about real life, yet because of his extreme liberalism and anti-Bush attitudes they treated him like a freaking prophet of the Second Coming.

As I read it I could almost hear brain cells dying from exposure to this pretentious sewage.

Sadly, there are still enough people reading this tripe for the mag to stay in business.

What a waste.  It was like looking into the face of the enemy.  Tip: San Francisco is not the center of the world.

Oh well, the First Amendment still protects peoples' right to be stupid.

+10
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Somehow they think they are more than a MUSIC magazine.  Everytime I see one with a cover story about some political issue instead of music I am somewhat annoyed.  A couple of years ago they had some piece of crap article about depleted uranium ammo as if they know something about depleted uranium.  

I see the agenda.  Take your average music lover who knows nothing about a political issue, inform him about it, and hope that since it's the first time he hears about it, he will take Rolling Stones opinion as the God's honest truth.

Besides, Ted Nugent wasn't on their list of top 100 guitarists.  Idiots.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Let me get this straight:

Arfcomers have been known to actually BUY and READ Rolling Stone magazine?  I’ve picked up only (literally) a couple of issues of that magazine in my entire life!  And never once have I bought that piece of wood pulp.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Rock journalism:  People who can't write, doing interviews with people who can't think, in order to prepare articles for people who can't read.

AB
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Reading about music is like talking about photographs.

Plus music critics are generally full of pretentious bullshit...Rolling Stone included.

-Observer
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Rock journalism:  People who can't write, doing interviews with people who can't think, in order to prepare articles for people who can't read.

AB

I like that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#22]
worthless liberal propaganda

and green day is one of the worst bands on the planet...every tme i hear one of their songs on the radio, i wanna rip my shit out and throw it out the window...worthless canadian anti american scum

u want true rok....pantera all the way
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

are u surprised

the nuge rocks   Stranglehold
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are u surprised

the nuge rocks   Stranglehold

Mr. Nugent is NOT on my list of top 100 guitarists either. He HAD some bright spots early in his career. But nothing his fingers have played since like '80 has measured-up against the real great players. I don't dislike him. But he's over-rated as a player. Don't agree? Listen to the long and horrible solo to "Fred Bear". My students play with more inspiration and better intonation. At the very least, he must've been so broke-up over Fred's death that he couldn't cut it that day in the studio.  

P.S. I do like "Little Miss Dangerous" from the 80's, but it ain't virtuoso stuff.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#25]
We had a subscription at the firehouse for a year. <yawn>

Occasionally hot babes, but mostly leftist pablum and EBR (Evil Bastard Republican) tripe...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#26]
ROLLING STONE MAG  - SUCKS !
i read shotgunnews
american riflemen
small arms review
and soldier of fortune  !!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

AB

+10

Has anyone ever read " Z "magazine?

Those mindless jerks should be hunted for sport.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

AB

Yep- that pretty much describes most of 'em. Prince used to say that rock writers were little geeks with glasses and Izod shirts who sat alone at their typewriters, and wrote in competition with each other, and not for the reader.

As for Rolling Stone, I had a subscription to it back in the early 80s- dull stuff, they spent most of their time at the mag trying to hype trends or get on the latest fashion train, and derided whatever Republican pol or policy was in power or effect. William Greider was the worst doom-predicting liberal writer there. They backed the leftiest Dem pols, like Fred Harris, Jimmy Carter, Teddy Kennedy.....

They write for their main audience: naive, idealistic urban and suburban teens/college kids who still live at home or are in college on mom/dad's money. Once you get a real job and pay real bills and taxes, RS goes in the dumpster.

Where it belongs.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
worthless liberal propaganda

and green day is one of the worst bands on the planet...every tme i hear one of their songs on the radio, i wanna rip my shit out and throw it out the window...worthless canadian anti american scum

u want true rok....pantera all the way

big +1
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Green Day isn't from Canada.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top