Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2013 2:25:12 PM EDT
Do they make anything that doesn't suck.  Buddy gave me a sampler of them and none of them were any good.  Any recomedations from them or just stay away like I do Gurkha.

CSF
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
the only one I like is the Decade
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
RP seems to be very inconsistent from lot to lot.

One of the best cigars I ever enjoyed was a RP Edge Maduro Torpedo. It was from a B&M, was super oily, and was in full bloom. This thing was so oily that it left my fingers brown. The smoke was sweet, spicy, and very complex. I thought I found my new favorite cigar. I bought a box online from CI and what I got was NOTHING like what I experienced previously. The smoke was one note, hot and generally not tasty. I figured I just needed to let them rest for awhile. This was three years ago and they still suck after aging in my humidor.

I bought the same stick from another B&M and it also sucked. I gave up on those after that.  I also tried a few other RP's that received high ratings/reviews.  I was extremely underwhelmed by all of those as well.  I'm assuming that whoever reviewed it at the time must have gotten that good RP experience and then the quality dropped.

RP does not seem to be able to maintain any sort of consistency.  I will not buy any RP's anytime soon unless I stumble across something in a B&M that appears oily and in bloom.

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#3]
They screwed themselves with the mass production.

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a "cuban classic" , I think that's what it was called. It was ok.
Also "signature series" wasn't bad.
Both are Famous' house blends I think ...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I consider the Decade to be a great cigar. My G/F likes the 15th.

Everything else.....meh. Many other cigars I'd rather spend my money on.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh...I've had a few that were good but more that were not.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#7]
They used to but now the QC is all over the place. I still like their Original Sun Grown and Old World Reserve, at least they haven't screwed those up yet. When they launched the Decade it was a fantastic smoke at the price point they were retailing for but even that line has suffered IMO. When RP was a struggling brand they were much better, when he sold the label it wet downhill.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah that's what I was guessing.  I think one was OK but some many better ones and sometimes cheaper.

CSF

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the decades and vintage 90's
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do they make anything that doesn't suck.  Buddy gave me a sampler of them and none of them were any good.  Any recomedations from them or just stay away like I do Gurkha.

CSF

I've been saying that Rocky has become the new Gurkha for the past 2 years.

Link Posted: 6/21/2013 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#11]
no.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a 15th Anniversary and it was pretty ok. Little strong for me at the time though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#13]
About the only RP I like is the Xen.
If you haven't smoked one yet give it a try.
I normally smoke maduro's but I really like this Connecticut.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I had an Edge the other day, red band, still have three more from the sampler I got... I'm not much of a cigar guy but I could have sworn the Cohiba I had down in Panama was a lot better.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Color me weird, but...

Their Edge Lite Toro is my favorite.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:48:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I would agree that its hard to get two of them that are the same.  

An Edge Maduro is one of my absolute favorite stand bys, but its very disappointing when they aren't right.  Typically quality from my b&m seems to be much better than from internet orders.  

Decades and Decade edition limitada are two outstanding cigars, but even so I find the quality to be right there with the edges.  I've had better luck with store bought ones, but even that won't guarantee a winner.  

Royal Vintage cigars are kinda Meh flavorwise, but strong as hell with a full body.  Had a shitty day?  light one of these and you can forget about it for a while.  

Fifteenth are pretty good, but not as good as a decade, and the RP connecticuts are well liked by everyone who has had one.  

A winter collection is an excellent choice for a special event.  My buddies and I all had them for a Christmas smoke last year.  Everyone loved them.

The others I have tried I've not liked as much as these I've listed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Lot's of meh with a few decent smokes in the line. My local B&M carries very few for a reason. But they have just about everything Perdomo makes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 4:54:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I'll see if that one was in the pile I got.  

CSF

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

the decade is a good stick
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I like the decades and vintage 90's

90's and 92s's are pretty much the only RP cigars I would buy.

Link Posted: 6/30/2013 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#22]
the Decade was a triumph..everything else is crap.  He's a scheister, what do you expect from a former Hollywood attorney?
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSF

I've been saying that Rocky has become the new Gurkha for the past 2 years.

I consider both of those to be great marketing companies, not cigar companies.

buk
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought the RP Historical Sampler from CI a few years back and still have a few in the humidor. There were some great sticks in there. I guess I got them before they went downhill. My favorite was one of the Indian Tabac Maduros. I wish they still had those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top