Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2006 12:49:13 PM EDT
As you may or may not know, RRA produces lowers that are stamped US PROPERTY for one dealer as a novelty. This dealer is the only one who get's these lowers marked this way. The weapons that the DEA buys from RRA are not stamped US PROPERTY.

Well, I recently acquired one of these lowers in a trade, and now I am wondering about the wisdom of this. My main concern is that if I get stopped by a cop and he finds this weapon in my car with the words US PROPERTY stamped on the lower then the officer will assume that this weapon is either stolen or banned for civilian use, or both.

What is your guy's input on this? Is the average John Law going to assume that I shouldn't have this rifle and run me in?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of those lowers as well.  Bought no doubt from the same guy you are talking about.

As a cop myself, I couldn't care any less.  But then, I am not the type of guy who goes around disarming people on stops, if they are CCW and tell me about it.

I know the difference between felons, chuds, and regular joes.  Too many cops are the type who unload mags and give guns back disassembled, etc. etc...

But - off the soapbox... even though a ton of 'Andy Griffiths' work in po-dunk towns, most of them can differentiate between 'restricted LE/Mil Only' mags.  I would think whatever is written on the lower would be the same deal.  Some might run the serial through NCIC and with no hit, you'd be fine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't worry about it too much. When was the last time a cop looked at any of your rifles? It happens, but not as often as folks around here think. If asked, tell him how it came to be. Even the most fantastic stories can be belived when they are truthfully told. Besides, there's enough mil-surplus going around that most of us don't give a crap.

Totality of the circumstances = how your gun came to be inspected by the cop and how you answer the questions...if even asked.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a Garand, 513T, M44, 03A3, and an 03 that are all marked USproperty.   All used to be US Property at one time.

Don't sweat it.  

Build yourself a nice rifle and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#4]
When I left fort Bragg for SD I got stopped for speeding in Iowa

I put both hands out the window (something I always do when pulled over)
when the officer approched I told him there were guns in the vehical and all were cased he asked to look, I let him, one rifle wasn't cased an 1864 enfield muzzle loader he chuckeled said it wasn't a big deal and let me off with a warning for speeding...

I think if you transport everything cased you will be OK  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top