User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
he knew too much and the machines couldn't let him live
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Since it obviously was not locked out, I wonder if they were programming a new process and someone accidently cycled the program.  
When programming all the coordinates it might require someone to be near the arm to make sure everything is clear or aligned correctly.

Some arms can be manually moved and then you can store the coordinates that way.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#4]
"Contractor" is the key word here. Not a VW employee, and probably never received VW robot safety training. The robot may have been energized before all the lock-out mechanisms were in place.  RIP to the victim.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Heiko Hillwig said Wednesday the 22-year-old was part of a team that was setting up the robot when it grabbed and crushed him against a metal plate.

German news agency dpa reported that prosecutors were considering whether to bring charges, and if so, against whom.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_GERMANY_ROBOT_KILLING?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-07-01-16-04-13

View Quote

BUT:

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
   A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
   A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.[1]

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
We're in trouble now, one of them has tasted blood...........
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#7]
The Sarah Connor connection is creepy.

The report is lacking important details. I can assume by the age of the victim that it's not one of my ex co-workers. Which is good.

I cannot assume that victim was at fault or safety protocol was not followed. The safety cages rarely have a large enough footprint to save you.

They're never robust enough to save you. They're to keep humans out....not keep robots in.

I've witnessed numerous robots wig the fuck out. Had a fanuc throw a engine block at me once. No one was programming it. It had performed its

programmed function hundreds of times that shift....until it didn't.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Sarah Connor connection is creepy.

The report is lacking important details. I can assume by the age of the victim that it's not one of my ex co-workers. Which is good.

I cannot assume that victim was at fault or safety protocol was not followed. The safety cages rarely have a large enough footprint to save you.

They're never robust enough to save you. They're to keep humans out....not keep robots in.

I've witnessed numerous robots wig the fuck out. Had a fanuc throw a engine block at me once. No one was programming it. It had performed its

programmed function hundreds of times that shift....until it didn't.
View Quote

incremental encoderr failure?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Automated machinery has been taking people's digits, limbs, and lives for hundreds of years.

Working with automated stuff isn't for the careless or drowsy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Automated machinery has been taking people's digits, limbs, and lives for hundreds of years.

Working with automated stuff isn't for the careless or drowsy.
View Quote

Yup.
If you are working on it, something broke or you are dealing with a program that has not been proven.
Could be a corrupt program, bad limit switch, bad encoder/encoder board, etc.  
If it's acting up, or has not been proven, watch your ass.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

incremental encoderr failure?
View Quote

Don't know. Never got an AAR. Wasn't my robot....wasn't my plant.

It missed. No blood no foul. I reported it to the fanuc contractors.

I'm sure they reported it to management. Kinda hard to hide the chipped concrete floor.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#13]
he was terminated
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#14]
BADLIFE!

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Happened in Winchester, TN 3 years ago at a Nissan plant. Japanese contractor's belt buckle reflected into a photo eye causing him to get crushed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Video of this accident sure would make for some interesting and educational review.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, the ones in auto plants are pretty powerful. Lock out-tag out, stored energy, ect. They didn't do it.
View Quote

Exactly.  There are physical, electrical, and mechanical safeguards to prevent that sort of shit.  They had to be disabled for it to happen.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Sarah O'Connor tweeted about it. She has never even seen the Terminator though so she had no idea her name was close to the character's.

http://happyplace.someecards.com/social-media/a-journalist-tweeted-an-unwitting-terminator-reference-and-wasnt-prepared-for-the-reaction/

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As someone who programs and works with robots on a daily basis I can say the guy was definitely not following any type of safety protocol.

If teaching the pendant should have a dead man switch.  If the robot was in full automatic mode no human should be inside the cage or confined space.

If using the jog function on the pendant the speed should be set at 50% maximum, which on a Fanuc is standard.

This is nothing more than Darwin at work.  

At my first job a robot tech. was inside a cage and managed to jog a robot at slow speed with a degating knife right into his belly, he had a 4" wound and was out for 2 months.  Dumbasses everywhere.....

Good day.
View Quote

I work with robots everyday as well.  You have to bypass a lot of safety protocols to get a robot to grab you and slam you into something hard enough to kill you.  They mentioned a second person in the area, but never mentioned who was actually in control of the robot.  They also did not mention the age of the robot, I have worked with older models that allowed 100% speed while using the teach pendant.  They can catch you off guard, especially when spending long hours programming.  The guy was only 22, most likely did not have a lot of experience.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#21]
DAY ONE!

The Machines Are becoming Self-Aware.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Publicity stunt for new terminator movie?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#23]
You kids and your Terminator movies-

This is what a badass killer robot looks like.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Cyberdyne model 011
View Quote

Did you mean Model 001?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

lol
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

They're fighting back.  They don't want to be our slaves anymore.
View Quote

REPARATIONS!!!!

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#28]
What if Kyle Reese was actually sent back in time to deliver scripts for the Terminator movies, which are actually a yet-to-be-realized documentary... a WARNING?!?!? History before it happens, so we don't go down that path???

ETA: The Germans always start the shit, too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Did he have 20 seconds to comply?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Since it obviously was not locked out, I wonder if they were programming a new process and someone accidentally cycled the program.  

When programming all the coordinates it might require someone to be near the arm to make sure everything is clear or aligned correctly.

Some arms can be manually moved and then you can store the coordinates that way.
View Quote

That's what it sounds like. I work around Fanuc, Motoman and Yamaha robots quite frequently....but ya know what scares ME more?  The dumb ol' "Pick and Place".  Talk about a stored energy nightmare!!!!

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#31]
OH SNAP!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#32]
This is now a creepy robot thread.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

The best part of that is when she admits that even she wouldn't follow her own tweets.

Maybe this robot just thought the young man was Matt Damon

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#34]

(I'd still do her)
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
lol
View Quote

the proper response to any of her facebook posts = Come with me if you want to live!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#37]
It is not a robot.  It is an immobile cybernetic assembly organism with multiple polyaxial joints, digital imaging targeting system, interchangeable end effectors and learning capability.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So it begins.  
View Quote

Skynet test balloon.  If we don't disable the robots now, humanity will be  destroyed.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#40]
This is why you lockout-tagout and follow the safety plans.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is why you lockout-tagout and follow the safety plans.
View Quote

Some shit has to be done energized.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Holy shit. These robot gifs are killing me. I'm crying over here.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Skynet
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Death wish......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoA-m5iHG9s

We have lots of ABB and Kawasaki robots at work. If you get between the robot and a pinch point the robot always wins.
Lock out / tag out.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#50]
People thought I was crazy for buying a policy from Old Glory Robot Insurance, but one can never be too careful. Good thing I listened to Sam Waterston instead of my financial advisor.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top