Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2002 12:59:18 PM EDT
I was thinking about buying a Robinson M96 but, on the resent M96.org forum this post has raised me to give this gun more thought. [url]www.M96.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=56[/url]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
This is an exception from what I can tell.  I enjoy my M96, they are very reliable.  If you like it and can afford it, go for it.  You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I always dis-assemble and re-assemble any new,(to me), firearm before firing.
Get a Robinson...you'll love it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]
OKLA -

For abour half teh price, you can get a Daewoo DR-200, with an ACE skeleton stock.

go to   [url]http://www.riflestocks.com/html/ace_ltd__products_2.html[/url]

[img]http://www.riflestocks.com/assets/images/010129-11.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.riflestocks.com/assets/images/010129-12.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 9/14/2002 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I own a Daewoo K2, I have shot a M96,[b]No flames intended, Just my opinion[/b] The Daewoo is twice the rifle the M96 is. I read about guys looking for spare parts for the Daewoo & I always ask them the same Question, Why? The dam thing never breaks! Its a very well made Hybrid mix of the M-16, AK, FAL that works just right!
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OKLA -

For abour half teh price, you can get a Daewoo DR-200, with an ACE skeleton stock.

go to   [url]http://www.riflestocks.com/html/ace_ltd__products_2.html[/url]

[url]http://www.riflestocks.com/assets/images/010129-11.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.riflestocks.com/assets/images/010129-12.jpg[/url]

View Quote

are these new guns? don't they have too many evil features?
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I own an M96 and I've shot all of the Daewoo models, both pre and post. The Daewoos were reliable and had decent combat accuracy (3" @ 100 yards).

My M96 has been reliable and shoots consistent 1 MOA with cheap SA surplus. I've got about 1000 rounds through it in the top feed and rifle configs. Haven't shot my recon carbine setup yet.

FWIW I know 2 people who've had to replace firing pins in the K2; both at around 5000 rounds. Of course, that might have also been the first time they cleaned them. [;)]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
hey okla lawman I heard that Oklahoma outdoor in okc had a used one for $800 bucks .you might call them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
hey okla lawman I heard that Oklahoma outdoor in okc had a used one for $800 bucks .you might call them.
View Quote

Must be something wrong with it if they are selling for that low. LOL
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
are these new guns? don't they have too many evil features?
View Quote

Most of the Daewoo's around now are post bans. So no folders for the unwashed peasntry like you and me.

But I supposed this wasn't an issue for OKLA-LAWMAN. [;)]

But you can still get the fixed skel stock IF you get the appropriate parts count (i.e. replace the fire control group with US made AR15 parts. They are interchnageable, as are AR15 mags)

FYI - GunsAmerica has  DR200's for $600 (plus $130 for the stock kit) US made pistol grip comes in teh parts kit (another US part toward the parts count [;)] )

Link Posted: 9/14/2002 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, the M96 is not the "super rifle" that it's bragged as being. Roll pins in the gas piston??? What CRAP!
But for an ADDITIONAL 70 bucks you can buy the "upgraded" gas system rod that doesn't use the weak ass roll pins.

Lets see how much more cash RobArms can milk out of me.......

In one week & 200 rounds later - 2 broken roll pins on the gas piston.

I should have stayed with what I know is RELIABLE - the AR-15!

I was going to build a kick ass RRA M4, but nooooooo - I got the M96 instead.

Yes - I am VERY bitter!
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Man,
Did I get the odd ball or what? (one of the first 200 made). I have fed every type of garbage round thru it with every type of magazine I can imagine, not so much as a hiccup.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Man,
Did I get the odd ball or what? (one of the first 200 made). I have fed every type of garbage round thru it with every type of magazine I can imagine, not so much as a hiccup.
View Quote

Does yours have the roll pins on the gas piston rod, or do you have the "upgrade" one piece?

Don't get me wrong, it shoots good, never jammed any of the 200 rnds of Fed LC, but
who's idea was it to use weak ass roll pins?
1 roll pin nub to hold back the recoil spring tension and charge the weapon?
No wonder they keep bending and breaking.
I'm not surprised they upgraded that design.
I just wish I knew ahead of time. Now I have
to spend more cash to get this thing reliable.
Shit, I could have purchased 2 M4s!

They should retro-fit the new gas systems on the new rifles with old pistons, not make you buy it!
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I will take it apart in the next week or so and see, but in the umpteen thousand rounds I have shot it. I haven't done squat to it! If the roll pins are an issue, I agree Robarms should step up to the plate, and retro fit!
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:33:53 AM EDT
[#14]
For what the M96 Cost I expect more than Stamped metal & Roll pins used in critical Places!
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#16]
You live and learn....I will not be buying another one. I'm not sure if I'm even going to keep this one.
My only plus is that I can sell/trade it and
not lose too much. I'll still be able to
build my M4, just lost the cash for optics.
That's what I get for being impulsive....
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought the M96 in the Bren configuration originally. Haven't had any problems with it and it was a better investment than buying a semi-auto Bren gun [;)]

Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it has quite a few interesting and unique characteristics. Yes there have been problems, but they are being worked out. RA is NOT to be commended for their lack of consideration when it comes to upgrading previously purchased firearms, but they are to be commended for attempting to introduce a new SAW in this political climate.

As s0ulzer0 pointed out, even with the bugs he can recover most of his original investment in the gun. There wouldn't be such a strong market for them if there wasn't a real interest in the firearm.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top