Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2002 2:43:16 PM EDT
The quote thread got me thinking. Here are some of my recommendations for pro-gun Heinlein books. Feel free to add to the list, if I miss any of them...

Farnham's Freehold
Time Enough For Love
The Number of the Beast
The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
Red Planet
Tunnel in the Sky
Starship Troopers
Methuselah's Children
"If This Goes On"
Sixth Column

Scott

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Years ago, I had a very early paperback edition of one of his novels, don't remember which.  But, I do remember at the front, in the listing of other Heinlein novels, one titled; Take Back Your Government.  I've never seen it referenced since and have never been able to find a copy anywhere.  Was this a typo by the publisher and I've been on a wild goose chase?  Certainly sounds like something Heinlein would write.

Any thoughts?  News, clues, rumors?

One of my favorites:

The Number of the Beast

Dan
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Years ago, I had a very early paperback edition of one of his novels, don't remember which.  But, I do remember at the front, in the listing of other Heinlein novels, one titled; Take Back Your Government.  I've never seen it referenced since and have never been able to find a copy anywhere.  Was this a typo by the publisher and I've been on a wild goose chase?  Certainly sounds like something Heinlein would write.

Any thoughts?  News, clues, rumors?

Dan
View Quote

I just dug through Uncle Roberts boxes, and low and behold there is a copy stuffed in there.

I guess they are available.  From looking at it it is a bit dated though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The moon is a harsh mistress

Have space suit will travel
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The Puppet Masters. I forgot how different Mary is in the book, as opposed to the movie....

Scott
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The only one I've read so far is Starship Troopers, but people have recommended these to me and I plan on reading them soon:

Stranger in a Strange Land
Rolling Stones
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

I don't know how much explicit "pro-gun" stuff they have, just that they are supposed to be good.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Years ago, I had a very early paperback edition of one of his novels, don't remember which.  But, I do remember at the front, in the listing of other Heinlein novels, one titled; Take Back Your Government.  I've never seen it referenced since and have never been able to find a copy anywhere.  Was this a typo by the publisher and I've been on a wild goose chase?  Certainly sounds like something Heinlein would write.The Number of the Beast
[url]http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=68SMLVA7JC&mscssid=EMR90CKS3A409GL50XTCRL9KFKQJ3FPD&isbn=0671721577[/url]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Stranger in a Strange land is a must read, as is Starship Troopers.

Not that it's a "pro" gun book, but as a kid I always loved "The Door Into Summer", where the lead character had a problem with his cat, as they lived in a big farmhouse, and the cat refused to believe that every door in the house would let him out into a cold winter day, so he had to open each door every day so the cat could make sure one of them didn't lead into a nice day.

Wish more of his older stuff was still on shelves...
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The quote thread got me thinking. Here are some of my recommendations for pro-gun Heinlein books. Feel free to add to the list, if I miss any of them...

Farnham's Freehold
Time Enough For Love
The Number of the Beast
The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
Red Planet
Tunnel in the Sky
Starship Troopers
Methuselah's Children
"If This Goes On"
Sixth Column

Scott

View Quote

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Glory Road
Podkayne of Mars
The Number of the Beast
Citizen of the Galaxy
Have Spacesuit Will Travel
Farmer in the Sky
Space Cadet
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Puppet Masters
Rocket Ship Galileo
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Hielo, 308, thanks.  I will continue my search for a copy.  And yea, I figured it would be a bit dated, but, from his other works, always thought it would be a good read.

Thanks again

And...Stranger in a Strange Land is a must read.

Dan
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a (nearly) complete collection of his works occupying a shelf and a half of one book case.  Looks like I'll be re-re-re-reading them again!  [:D]

[u][i]The Moon is a Harsh Mistress[/i][/u] is first!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Stranger in a Strange land is a must read, as is Starship Troopers.

Not that it's a "pro" gun book, but as a kid I always loved "The Door Into Summer", where the lead character had a problem with his cat, as they lived in a big farmhouse, and the cat refused to believe that every door in the house would let him out into a cold winter day, so he had to open each door every day so the cat could make sure one of them didn't lead into a nice day.

Wish more of his older stuff was still on shelves...
View Quote

I love Door Into Summer. I pray that all of us find, and Mr. Heinlein has already found, that door into summer when the time comes...

Door Into Summer is second only to "All You Zombies" for a time travel story with twists and turns...

Scott
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got a (nearly) complete collection of his works occupying a shelf and a half of one book case.  Looks like I'll be re-re-re-reading them again!  [:D]
View Quote

You and me BOTH! The fun part was that I read them ALL in one summer! Have to say that was actually one of my most favorite summers. I never left my room except to eat, and shower every couple of days.

When ever I get bummed out with life, I just randomly grab one of his books and sink into his worlds. Which reminds me, I am due for another re-read.

I think I will go on the net tonight and compile a list of his works, and cross reference with my books, just to see which ones I am missing.

But I personally recommend ALL of his works. Some of them really should be required reading for some high school classes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
But I personally recommend ALL of his works. Some of them really should be required reading for some high school classes.
View Quote

The single most influential Heinlein book I read was [i][u]Starship Troopers[/i][/u], and the part that affected me most was the "History and Moral Philosophy" lectures.  

"Young lady the tragic wrongness of what those well meaning people did, contrasted with what they thought they were doing, goes very deep. They had no scientific theory of morals. They did have a theory of morals and they tried to live by it, but their theory was wrong -half of it fuzzy-headed wishful thinking, half of it rationalized charlatanry. The more earnest they were, the farther it led them astray. You see, they assumed that Man has a moral instinct."

"Sir? I thought-But he does! I have."

"No, my dear, you have a cultivated conscience, a most carefully trained one. Man has no moral instinct. He is not born with moral sense. You are not born with it, I was not-and a puppy has none. We acquire moral sense, when we do, through training, experience, and hard sweat of the mind. These unfortunate juvenile criminals were born with none, even as you and I, and they had no chance to acquire any; their experience did not permit it. What is `moral sense`? It is an elaboration of the instinct to survive. The instinct to survive is human nature itself, and every aspect of our personalities derives from it. Anything that conflicts with the survival instinct acts sooner or later to eliminate the individual and thereby fails to show up in future generations. This truth is mathematically demonstrable, everywhere verifiable; it is the single eternal imperative controlling everything we do.
View Quote

(cont'd)

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#14]
"But the instinct to survive, can be cultivated into motivations more subtle and much more complex then the blind, brute urge of the individual to stay alive. Young lady, what you miscalled your `moral instinct` was the installing in you by your elders of the truth that survival can have stronger imperatives than that of your own personal survival. Survival of your family, for example. Of your children, when you have them. Of your nation, if you struggle that high up the scale. And so on up. A scientifically verifiable theory of morals must be rooted in the individual's instinct to survive-and nowhere else!-and must correctly describe the hierarchy of survival, note the motivations at each level, and resolve all conflicts."

"The basis of all morality is duty, a concept with the same relation to group that self-interest has to the individual. Nobody preached duty to these kids in a way they could understand-that is with a spanking. But the society they were in told them endlessly about their `rights.` The results should have been predictable, since a human being has no natural rights of any nature."

"Sir? How about `life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness`?"

"Ah, yes, the `unalienable rights.` Each year someone quotes that magnificent poetry. Life? What `right` to life has a man who is drowning in the Pacific? The ocean will not hearken to his cries. What right to life has a man who must die if he is to save his children? If he chooses to save his own life, does he do so as a matter of `right`? If two men are starving and cannibalism is the only alternative to death, which man's right is `unalienable`? And is it `right`? As to liberty, the heroes who signed the great document pledged themselves to buy liberty with their lives. Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes. Of all the so-called natural human rights that have ever been invented, liberty is least likely to be cheap and is never free of cost .

"The third `right`--the `pursuit of happiness`? It is indeed unalienable but it is not a right; it is simply a universal condition which tyrants cannot take away nor patriots restore. Cast me into a dungeon, burn me at the stake, crown me king of kings, I can `pursue happiness` as long as my brain lives-but neither gods nor saints, wise men nor subtle drugs, can insure that I will catch it."
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]
"Take Back your Government" is out there, but it's pricey.  If I remember correctly, it was written in the 40s and  only printed once during the 80s.  Try these 2 sites for a copy ($100-$200).

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/books/misc/bibliofind.html/[/url]

[url]http://www.abe.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:43:36 AM EDT
[#16]
HEY! Whe're the recomendations for Time Enough For Love?
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"Take Back your Government" is out there, but it's pricey.  If I remember correctly, it was written in the 40s and  only printed once during the 80s.  Try these 2 sites for a copy ($100-$200).
View Quote

Really??  I'll sell my copy for $75.  Email me at [email][email protected][/email] if anyone wants it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I have Starship Troopers as a Doc file. If anyone wants it, email me and I'll attach it to my reply.

[email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top