Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 6:11:40 PM EDT
This is that dipshit mayor who was all over the news a few weeks ago because they are trying to use eminent domain to seize the homes of 5,000 residents so a private developer can put in a Marina community. Maybe one day those shots ringing out will will be the sound of residents protecting their homes if the Riviera Beach government goes ahead with their landgrab as planned. If you go to the site address below the article you can post a comment below the article on the news site.

Riviera Beach is hurting.

Assault rifles ring out regularly these days. People fall dead. Murders go unsolved.

And everyone knows what’s going on.

So says Mayor Michael Brown, who wonders what good the city’s plans for change will be if residents don’t speak out to ensure crimes are solved.

“We have to start with us,” Brown said. “Most of us know who these shooters are. Riviera Beach is small enough. We know what’s going on.”

Brown looked angry when he took the podium Thursday morning at a news conference in Riviera Beach’s city hall.

City officials had called the media to tout their new strategies for clamping down on criminals.

Brown thought their plans were well and good. But he said police efforts wouldn’t be enough.

Residents can march and pray forever, he said. Police departments can adopt new policies.

But sooner or later another young black man will be gunned down on a Riviera Beach street. The shooters will go to the funeral service. And everyone will know.

But lips will be sealed, he said.

“We know who they are,” Brown said. “We see them. We watch them grow up. And we know.”

It’s a black problem, one that African-Americans need to address, he said.

Brown wondered where the area’s successful African-Americans were.

He said the ones who get out of the inner city, who go off to college and find good jobs, move into the suburbs and are never seen again.

“I want to ask the black fraternities and sororities, where are they?” Brown said. “I don’t see them intervening in the black communities.”

“They have abandoned these urban areas just like the people who are not of color.”

Meanwhile, teens fill their heads with gangsta rap and run the streets with guns. And black leaders, he said, are too often silent.

“A lot of us as leaders in the black community are reluctant to address these issues,” he said.

Strong words indeed.

What do you think of the mayor’s message? Please share your thoughts.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/local_news/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/crimeblog/entries/2006/01/05/riviera_mayor_m.html
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This is that dipshit mayor who was all over the news a few weeks ago because they are trying to use eminent domain to seize the homes of 5,000 residents so a private developer can put in a Marina community. Maybe one day those shots ringing out will will be the sound of residents protecting their homes if the Riviera Beach government goes ahead with their landgrab as planned. If you go to the site address below the article you can post a comment below the article on the news site.

Assault rifles ring out regularly these days. People fall dead. Murders go unsolved.

So says Mayor Michael Brown, who wonders what good the city’s plans for change will be if residents don’t speak out to ensure crimes are solved.

“We have to start with us,” Brown said. “Most of us know who these shooters are. Riviera Beach is small enough. We know what’s going on.”

Brown looked angry when he took the podium Thursday morning at a news conference in Riviera Beach’s city hall.

City officials had called the media to tout their new strategies for clamping down on criminals.

Brown thought their plans were well and good. But he said police efforts wouldn’t be enough.

Residents can march and pray forever, he said. Police departments can adopt new policies.

But sooner or later another young black man will be gunned down on a Riviera Beach street. The shooters will go to the funeral service. And everyone will know.

“We know who they are,” Brown said. “We see them. We watch them grow up. And we know.”

He said the ones who get out of the inner city, who go off to college and find good jobs, move into the suburbs and are never seen again.

“I want to ask the black fraternities and sororities, where are they?” Brown said. “I don’t see them intervening in the black communities.”

“They have abandoned these urban areas just like the people who are not of color.”

Meanwhile, teens fill their heads with gangsta rap and run the streets with guns. And black leaders, he said, are too often silent.

“A lot of us as leaders in the black community are reluctant to address these issues,” he said.

Strong words indeed.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/local_news/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/crimeblog/entries/2006/01/05/riviera_mayor_m.html

Sounds spot on to me. What do you disagree with?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Strong words indeed.

How about calling the rifles in question assault rifles for starters?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If thats for starters please continue.

Its irrelevant to the disscussion. Its but a tiny insignificant portion of the message. It has little or no bearing on the message.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
what's an assault rifle?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Besides the anti-gun slant (which is BS as well), if you have been following this case then you will know this mayor (who has interests in the real estate market down there) and figure that this is probably just propoganda in his attempt to paint this area as a blighted community to prop up their eminent domain actions. I disagree with that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#6]
The "assault rifle" comment was ignorance at best, but the rest of his message seemed pretty spot-on to me.

I suppose he'll be crucified on the same cross as Bill Cosby now though.  Too many of the Black community's "leaders" don't like hearing the truth so plainly spoken by one of their own.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Besides the anti-gun slant (which is BS as well), if you have been following this case then you will know this mayor (who has interests in the real estate market down there) and figure that this is probably just propoganda in his attempt to paint this area as a blighted community to prop up their eminent domain actions. I disagree with that.

That does not make his statements / arguments untrue. His motive may be in question but not his message.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its irrelevant to the disscussion. Its but a tiny insignificant portion of the message. It has little or no bearing on the message.

Bullshit!  This is just leading to an attempt at another ban, labeling everything assault rifles.

I agree with the rest of what he said after that, but when a politician starts off talking about "assault rifles in the streets", the rest is meaningless.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Riviera Beach has one of the biggest crime problems in FL. I just hate that mayor and his views on how to fix it. He thinks they should take all the waterfront homes in order to pour the extra tax revenue into the ghetto portion of town (which is a real shithole) and in his words "wipe out poverty in Riviera Beach". So in their eyes by taking people's private property and  profiting off of it their crime problems will be solved.  Here are some of his comments from the past:

Riviera Beach Mayor Michael Brown says his predominantly black community is trying to take advantage of its greatest resource: the waterfront. "For their own selfish reasons, some people want to live near the water and pay little or no taxes," he says. "Who wouldn't? But city government has to look out for all residents."

The mayor says the project will increase the assessed value of the property from less than $80 million to as much as $2 billion. The added tax revenue will finance better roads, new schools and safe streets, Brown says. "We will eliminate poverty in Riviera Beach."

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Riviera Beach has one of the biggest crime problems in FL. I just hate that mayor and his views on how to fix it. He thinks they should take all the waterfront homes in order to pour the extra tax revenue into the ghetto portion of town (which is a real shithole) and in his words "wipe out poverty in Riviera Beach". So in their eyes by taking people's private property and  profiting off of it their crime problems will be solved.  Here are some of his comments from the past:

Riviera Beach Mayor Michael Brown says his predominantly black community is trying to take advantage of its greatest resource: the waterfront. "For their own selfish reasons, some people want to live near the water and pay little or no taxes," he says. "Who wouldn't? But city government has to look out for all residents."

The mayor says the project will increase the assessed value of the property from less than $80 million to as much as $2 billion. The added tax revenue will finance better roads, new schools and safe streets, Brown says. "We will eliminate poverty in Riviera Beach."

They use this same thinking in China... It's done wonders for their economy..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit!  This is just leading to an attempt at another ban, labeling everything assault rifles.

I agree with the rest of what he said after that, but when a politician starts off talking about "assault rifles in the streets", the rest is meaningless.

The TYPE of gun has nothing to do with what he is talking about. There is no mention or even a hint at a ban. Pull you panties from your crack. Its so tight its clouding your judgement.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#12]
And this is Bush's fault...how?

Just curious I mean.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The TYPE of gun has nothing to do with what he is talking about. There is no mention or even a hint at a ban. Pull you panties from your crack. Its so tight its clouding your judgement.

You need to pull the panties off your eyes.  Everytime they yell about assault rifles or "assault weapons", you better believe there is an agenda, that being a future ban.  They are just trying to build their case by calling everything those names.  Hell, they don't even bother with "assault weapon" anymore, they just go straight to assault rifle.

The TYPE has everything to do with it.  These were probably pistols, which is most gangbangers use, yet he had to label them as assault rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top