Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2016 11:47:20 PM EDT
Hello Arfcom,

Today I am going to show you how to Dye your sand Pmags from Magpul. Without Further a due, Lets Begin.

The first thing you want to do is buy a cooking pot and some tongs.  I got these from a GoodWill on the cheap.

The next thing you want to do is get the color dye you are going to use and what you are going to be dying.

Please note: Food coloring does not make a good dye solution. All it did was turn the Magazine a darker tan.

Next, Mix the colors appropriately if need be.  The three colors I was going to make was OD green. yellow, and brown.

I separated the colors into clear cups according to the color chart I found online. then I added the brown to dye and the baseplate to hot steaming water that had a few bubbles in it. You don't need to reach boiling.

Depending on the color you are trying to reach depends on how long the item is left in the mixture.  For the OD green color I had a 40 round Pmag that I experimented with before I dyed the AK mags. I figured 5 minutes in the mixture was ok but it was too long and the mag came out very dark.  I dropped the time to 2 minutes each for the AK mags and that got the correct color.  The color is between Arsenal and Magpul OD green.

You can see the color variation on the 40 round mag. The side that is shown is lighter than the other side with a lighter streak down the mag.  The Aimpoint Pro Cover, which was originally tan, came out almost brown, meaning that I left it in a bit long.

For the Yellow mag, I went with a whole packet of Lemon Yellow. The Magazine sat in the water for 11 minutes.

It is important to note that the mags must be dissembled before insertion.  I tried on a previous project to put the mag in with the body and baseplate attached. The area that was covered by the baseplate didn't get dyed.  Also it is a good idea to put small parts such as dustcovers and baseplates in a small laundry bag so it is easier to pull them out and so as not to burn yourself .

Also Larue Tactical Index Clips in FDE can be dyed as well but the Magpul Ladder rails in FDE can not be dyed completely.  The ladder rails come out all streaky.

After that is cleanup time. In reality the cleanup process should be continuous because the dye can stain surfaces easily.  Clorox wipes as well as Clorox liquid is the best solution to clean up.  

Once the mags come out of the boiling mixture they should be transferred to the sink and rinsed with lukewarm water then dried off with paper towels.

Hope y'all enjoyed this short tutorial of how to dye the sand Magpul mags.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What do I use for magpul orange?
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The first FDE one has a yellow streak on it. Is that where the food coloring tip came from?

That yellow one looks awesome and now I want some. Also orange
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am going to assume by the smiley that you are joking, but I will Humor you.

Tangerine would be the color I would use.

Quoted:
The first FDE one has a yellow streak on it. Is that where the food coloring tip came from?

That yellow one looks awesome and now I want some. Also orange

Yes. The yellow streak is from the food coloring.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there a recipe for replicating fde?
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Reminds me of dyeing Easter eggs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Any changes to the characteristics of the poly?  Brittle? Cracking? Soft? Gay?

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#8]

I know about that thread but I wanted to make one to show the Rit dye of the Sand Mags.

Quoted:
Any changes to the characteristics of the poly?  Brittle? Cracking? Soft? Gay?

Not that I can tell.  Magpul mage these sand Mags to dye any other color the user wants.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm probably going to spend my weekend dyeing a pmag yellow now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hmmm...

I think I need to try some Plum to match the K-Var Plum furniture I've got on my SBR Draco.
View Quote

Here is a Rit Dye Color Chart the Plum color looks too light for the Plum Furniture.

Do it and post pics.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:24:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm probably going to spend my weekend dyeing a pmag yellow now.
View Quote

You are welcome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top