Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/10/2006 10:01:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 10:10:21 PM EDT by cobra-ak]
I travel a lot ot Rio and so its always worrisome when these kinda things happen, I have see tracer fire between hilltops and I have seen police operations but this is different www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/03/09/brazil.army.reut/
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:11:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cobra-ak:
I travel a lot ot Rio and so its always worrisome when these kinda things happen, I have see tracer fire between hilltops and I have seen police operations but this is different www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/03/09/brazil.army.reut/

fixed the link
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:18:04 PM EDT
Gangsters, troops shoot it out in Rio's slums
March 9, 2006
www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/03/09/brazil.army.reut/
RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (Reuters) -- Gangsters attacked Brazilian troops in the slums of Rio de Janeiro with grenades and gunfire overnight, the latest salvo in a six-day military operation to find stolen weapons that residents say has made life intolerable.

In the early hours of Thursday, gunmen from a drug trafficking gang opened fire and hurled grenades at an army position in Providencia favela, the army said. No one was reported hurt.

The operation was launched in response to the theft of 10 rifles and a pistol from a military base last week and now involves 1,500 troops -- the first deployment of soldiers on an anti-crime mission in violence-plagued Rio in three years.

Clashes have occurred daily this week, mostly at night. After six days, the notorious slums, or favelas, of the seaside city have taken on the look of a war zone.

Tanks and armored cars guard favela entrances, troops have set up sandbagged positions, and files of soldiers creep along the alleyways and stairways of the close-packed shantytowns.

Checkpoints have also been mounted on highways, including the main road out to Sao Paulo, Brazil's biggest city.

"Our presence is making life uncomfortable for the traffickers and they are trying to intimidate us. We moved position to avoid a major confrontation," army spokesman Col. Jose Barreto said after the attack.

Dozens of Providencia residents demonstrated outside an army command post on Wednesday night protesting that the operation had disrupted their lives. Many had to stay in their homes and could not get to work or school, they said.

"They are entering the favela and messing around with the people," one said.

Residents have also hung up banners saying "We want a Social Invasion" -- referring to the government neglect of the favelas.

Many of the Rio's favelas, home to about 20 percent of the city's 6 million people, are controlled by heavily armed drug gangs. Clashes between rival gangs are routine and police rarely enter except in often-bloody shows of force.

Barreto pledged that the complaints would be investigated and said the army wanted to maintain peace and calm. Once the stolen weapons were recovered, it would end the operation.

Middle-class and wealthy Rio residents, ironically the main market for the traffickers, have welcomed the operation.

But human rights activists and some academics have questioned the use of the army in an anti-crime role in a country that lived under a military dictatorship from 1964 to 1985.

"This is happening at a delicate moment," Maria Celina D'Araujo of the Getulio Vargas Foundation think-tank said in Folha de S.Paulo newspaper.

"On one hand, the people want the military as an arm of a democratic state. On the other hand they want security because of the actions of drug traffickers," she said.

D'Araujo said the United States had put pressure on Latin American armies to get more involved in crime operations -- a role some, including Brazil, are reluctant to take on because of the bitter legacy of military rule.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:21:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 10:22:41 PM EDT by cobra-ak]
thank you sir, they are not showing too much on US news but the BBC had some good footage of these guys firing right on the favelas (hillside slums)
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:30:35 PM EDT

thank you sir

takes me about fifteen seconds to clean it up and I think most people would rather read it here than follow the link
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:32:48 PM EDT
City of God
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:34:13 PM EDT

The operation was launched in response to the theft of 10 rifles and a pistol from a military base last week and now involves 1,500 troops -- the first deployment of soldiers on an anti-crime mission in violence-plagued Rio in three years.

Yup, if Civilian ownership of guns is outlawed they can still be stolen from the Police\Military
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:55:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 22bad:

Yup, if Civilian ownership of guns is outlawed they can still be stolen from the Police\Military

Yep, you can ask Bonnie and Clyde about that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:05:30 PM EDT
Interesting article. My world-current-events-fu is weak. Thank you.

I suppose Rio has been on the outs for the Spring Break crowd for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:48:25 AM EDT
Not for nothing but there is a real double standard in Rio. The "playboy" generally a middle class young adult male goes to these shanty towns to buy marijuana and cocaine. If the police went after the consumer as much as the seller I would feel better. But it is the soldiers and the cops caught in the middle. These favelas(shantytowns) exist for the sole purpose of hiding the drug trade. They are a maze of houses on a hillside offering the best urban warfare type landscape anywhere. Just rambling personal observations and opinions.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:13:23 AM EDT
"City of God" the movie is a really good watch, and interesting too. You just have to sit through all the anti gun crap...
Didnt Rio overtake Kingston as the most violent city?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:18:03 AM EDT
quick someone post a pic of those cool Brazil cop 5.56mm FALs
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:52:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AyeGuy:

the cops use G3 .308
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:54:38 AM EDT
[Duran Duran] her name is Rio, and, she dances on the sand! [/Duran Duran]

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:15:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MOS2111:
"City of God" the movie is a really good watch, and interesting too. You just have to sit through all the anti gun crap...

yea, SUPEr good movie, but I never really did notice any anti-gun bs, hmmm....
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:21:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By christ0ph:

Originally Posted By MOS2111:

yea, SUPEr good movie, but I never really did notice any anti-gun bs, hmmm....

I think the anti-gun part was in the documentary added to the dvd.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:30:26 AM EDT

Not for nothing but there is a real double standard in Rio. The "playboy" generally a middle class young adult male goes to these shanty towns to buy marijuana and cocaine. If the police went after the consumer as much as the seller I would feel better. But it is the soldiers and the cops caught in the middle. These favelas(shantytowns) exist for the sole purpose of hiding the drug trade. They are a maze of houses on a hillside offering the best urban warfare type landscape anywhere. Just rambling personal observations and opinions.

No i dont think they were set up "just for the drug trade" I think they are the place poor people live! These Slums have been around forever long before a "drug war" ever happened. End poverty and you'll end this madness. England has a drug problem too but they dont have THAT kind of shit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:47:45 AM EDT
Here's a bit of a video.

http://upload3.putfile.com/videos/6822334040.wmv
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:05:25 PM EDT

the cops use G3 .308

I've seen the 5.56 ones also. Or was that the Brazilian army.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:07:17 PM EDT
Rio is an amazing paradox. It has some of the most beautiful, affluent areas in the world, and at the same time some of the poorest, most dangerous places in the world, all within walking distance of eachother
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:07:27 PM EDT

the cops use G3 .308

They use anything they can not just G3s.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:10:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:46:54 PM EDT
I heard that those guys just came back from Haiti, but their crowd control tactics need some brushing up on.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:53:51 PM EDT
1,500 troops to find 10 rifles and 1 handgun, must be pretty serious.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:05:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glimmerman68:
1,500 troops to find 10 rifles and 1 handgun, must be pretty serious.

also getting close to presidential elections and nothing, absolutely nothing has been done to the drug trade.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:24:32 PM EDT
media.putfile.com/shoot-out-in-rio-03102006 try this one if the other link doesn't work
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:08:45 PM EDT
Will this make Springfields .45 go up???
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:10:12 PM EDT
Imbel is in Sao Paulo, so is Taurus.
Top Top