Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 1:08:02 PM EDT
Help Make Right-To-Carry a Reality in Kansas!

SB 418, The Personal and Family Protection Act will be heard before the Senate Federal & State Affairs Committee on Thursday, February 2. If your Senator is listed below they are a member of this committee and need to hear from you.  Please contact them and urge them to approve passage of this important legislation without amendments.

District 24 (R) Senator Pete Brungardt, Chairman (785) 296-7390

District 22 (R) Senator Roger Reitz, Vice-Chair (785) 296-7360

District 5 (D) Senator Mark Gilstrap, Ranking Minority (785) 296-7357

District 9 (R) Senator Kay O'Connor (785) 296-7382

District 11 (R) Senator John Vratil (785) 296-7361

District 19 (D) Senator Anthony Hensley (785) 296-3245

District 23 (R) Senator Karin Brownlee (785) 296-7358

District 37 (R) Senator Dennis Wilson (785) 296-7383

District 40 (R) Senator Ralph Ostmeyer (785) 296-7399

OK Kansas people get busy!

None of these Committee Members are in my district, but I know one of them and talk to them personally!  She will be voting a yes on this legislation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#1]

None in my area either.

However, if you're looking for what district you're in, here's a helpful tool:

www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-legisportal/redistricting.do
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell give one of them a call anyway!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Does this mean all the evil people in MO with CCW's will be able to cross the border without fear?  I haven't shopped in KS since the day I got my CCW permit even though I work there.  I think in the Johnson County area even if it passes the cops are so on top of the law there will be a lot of problems with harassment etc..  You all have gotten a ton of gas stations robbed lately, as well as people coming in through an open garage at night tearing through peoples homes.  

I work a stones throw from 3 banks, all have been held up at least once in the last 5 years I've been here.  I'm also 10 feet from our front door, so any robber who thinks he's going to hide or hold one of us hostage is gonna get the G26 I keep in my desk up his azz.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Get on it Kansas people!

I would but as you can see, I'm about 9hrs ahead right meow.

Also tell your local Rep to enable Suppressors and MachineGuns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Good Luck.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Does this mean all the evil people in MO with CCW's will be able to cross the border without fear?  I haven't shopped in KS since the day I got my CCW permit even though I work there.  I think in the Johnson County area even if it passes the cops are so on top of the law there will be a lot of problems with harassment etc..  You all have gotten a ton of gas stations robbed lately, as well as people coming in through an open garage at night tearing through peoples homes.  

I work a stones throw from 3 banks, all have been held up at least once in the last 5 years I've been here.  I'm also 10 feet from our front door, so any robber who thinks he's going to hide or hold one of us hostage is gonna get the G26 I keep in my desk up his azz.

Good luck!

Well the nice thing would be if it  passes you can LEGALLY carry your weapon in Kansas.  I read some of the legislation and it would recognize all other state conceal license holders
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
A similar bill already passed a couple years ago and the whore in office shot it down with a VETO, Kathleen Sebelius will veto it AGAIN.  If only we would have elected a freedom loving govenor.

I hope this time is different but I really doubt it until she is out of office.   They will need a majority so high it can't be vetoed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck!

Well the nice thing would be if it  passes you can LEGALLY carry your weapon in Kansas.  I read some of the legislation and it would recognize all other state conceal license holders

That would make my life in Kansas City much easier.  I have to stop at the border and unload/case if I want to go in and not risk a life-changing traffic stop.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Get on it Kansas people!

Thank you brother!  I appreciate the motivational speech!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A similar bill already passed a couple years ago and the whore in office shot it down with a VETO, Kathleen Sebelius will veto it AGAIN.  If only we would have elected a freedom loving govenor.

I hope this time is different but I really doubt it until she is out of office.   They will need a majority so high it can't be vetoed.

Yes, but if it made it to her she might be pressured into voting for it this year because of the election cycle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get on it Kansas people!

Thank you brother!  I appreciate the motivational speech!

If someone can get me a few phone numbers, I'll try to place a few calls to make sure they are voting yes;  hopefully they'll listen to someone who's in Iraq.

And btw, I was never a fan of voting in a Woman Governor to Kansas and was sad to see Graves go.  If I could have voted against her, I would have.

ETA:  crossed out part, I cant read apparently.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

We've been trying to get just CCW for a long time.  Heck, I'd be pretty happy if we had state-level pre-emption of local weapons laws; at least then we could open-carry.

Baby steps...

Jim
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The other recent whore who shot down CCW was Graves, our last Republican governor.

If the Kansas republican party would run a decent candiate for Governor, they'd win.  Right-wing nutjobs will not win the Governor's seat in Kansas, no matter what the right-wing nutjobs running the party here think.  So long as they keep running the worst possible candidate, we'll keep getting Democratic governors.

In the last election, if Kerr had been the (R) nominee instead of Shallenberger, we'd have Kerr in the Governor's office.  I have no idea if he'd sign CCW, but he would have taken the Governor's race.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:08:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We've been trying to get just CCW for a long time.  Heck, I'd be pretty happy if we had state-level pre-emption of local weapons laws; at least then we could open-carry.

Baby steps...

Jim

Open-carry in cities where local ordinances prohibit, would be nice.  Open-carry in rural areas is nice, but unless you live in a rural area and never go to a city, .
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:11:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Baby steps...

Jim

Open-carry in cities where local ordinances prohibit, would be nice.  Open-carry in rural areas is nice, but unless you live in a rural area and never go to a city, .

I was told a law was recently passed with states cities may not enact stricter gun laws then what are on the state level. Which would mean you could open carry in the city, but I still wouldnt advise it or you'll spend all day talking to cops.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Baby steps...

Jim

I was told a law was recently passed with states cities may not enact stricter gun laws then what are on the state level. Which would mean you could open carry in the city, but I still wouldnt advise it or you'll spend all day talking to cops.

That was my understanding as well.  It should have gone into effect last July I believer
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Baby steps...

Jim

What law is this?  And was it just for KS or all states?  Please find more info, k thx, bai.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#18]
This is one issue I dont get.

I am in Kansas and the news comes on saying Bush just spoke at KU or some university.  And something like 70% of Kansas voted for Bush and are Republican.

Yet they seem so anti.  I just dont get it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I am in Kansas and the news comes on saying Bush just spoke at KU or some university.  And something like 70% of Kansas voted for Bush and are Republican.

McPherson County was a dry county up until a few years ago.

Lindsborg (my town) was dry until 2 years ago.

Its a lot of extremely-extremely conservative Mennonites, Lutherans and some Christians.  Most of them are farmers or "rural boys" who dont really care about having the right to carry weapons concealed.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Tell your legislators I only vacation in states that recognize my concealed carry rights. Nebraska needs to pass CCW too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Not gonna happen until we get a new Gov.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

McPherson County was a dry county up until a few years ago.

Lindsborg (my town) was dry until 2 years ago.

Its a lot of extremely-extremely conservative Mennonites, Lutherans and some Christians.  Most of them are farmers or "rural boys" who dont really care about having the right to carry weapons concealed.  

Yea, I have talked to some of those rural boys as well and they could care less because they carry anyway.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Baby steps...

Jim

What law is this?  And was it just for KS or all states?  Please find more info, k thx, bai.

Governor signs bill simplifying gun laws (Kansas)
The Wichita Eagle ^ | Apr. 16, 2005 | Associated Press

Posted on 04/18/2005 1:07:46 PM PDT by neverdem

TOPEKA - Gun rights advocates scored a victory when Gov. Kathleen Sebelius made it easier for people to transport firearms in Kansas without fear of being arrested.

A new law the governor signed Friday makes it legal to carry a firearm anywhere in the state as long as it's unloaded and in an enclosed container. The law, which takes effect July 1, says local governments can't impose more stringent controls.

"Currently hunters and other law-abiding gun owners traveling across Kansas may unknowingly violate gun ordinances by simply driving through another town," Sebelius said in statement.

Sen. Phil Journey, R-Haysville, a backer of the legislation, praised the governor. He and other gun rights advocates said the bill was needed to protect gun owners from unfair prosecution.

"It confirms my belief that this is good public policy for the state," Journey said. "It will enhance the economic engine that drives the rural economy because out-of-state hunters now will know what the rules are."

Local governments can still prosecute people for carrying a concealed weapon. The new law also allows local governments to have less restrictive requirements. For instance, a county could allow people to carry firearms in the gun rack of a pickup.

The new law also allows law enforcement agencies to sell or trade seized firearms and allows sheriffs to execute warrants to seize firearms from delinquent taxpayers. It also sets the stage for retired law enforcement officers to qualify to carry concealed weapons.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Home | Current Legislation | Get Involved Locally | Register To Vote
Contribute

Kansas Moving a Step Closer to Personal Protection!

Senate Bill 418, "The Personal and Family Protection Act" sponsored by Senator Phil Journey (R-26) has passed the Senate.  SB 418 is scheduled for an upcoming vote in the House Federal and State Affairs Committee, bringing Kansans a step closer to personal protection.  

The Second Amendment needs YOUR help!

We are asking if you will take 10 minutes out of your day to do the following:

·         First, call your State Representative at (785) 296-2456 and ask him or her to support SB 418;

·         Second, start contacting Governor Kathleen Sebelius (D) toll-free at (877) 579-6757, local (785) 296-6240, via email at www.ksgovernor.org/comment.html, or fax (785) 368-8788 and respectfully ask her to sign SB 418 when it reaches her desk.

Ask your friends, family members, and co-workers to help get the word out to their State Representative and Governor Sebelius.  The time has come for Kansans to be trusted to protect themselves and their loved ones!

To find further contact information please use the

"Write Your Representative" feature found at www.NRAILA.org.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#26]
As I understand it, the bill passed the Senate by a large enough margin to make a Executive veto a non-issue.  The bill is currently pending in the House and looks to pass by about the same margin.  Keep the calls on your local rep and the D-Lady Guvn'r won't even have a chance to veto it this time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Sometime type up a mass email that we can flood the Governor's email with talking about the need for the 2nd amendment and how the right to carry helps law-abiding citizens.

And thanks for that article, Hakim.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#28]
not really gonna make a damn bit of difference until and unless we get the "inherently dangerous instrumentality" line of cases reversed.  So long as firearms ownership is strict liablity then we can all still be sued, the current bill notwithstanding.

One of my most unplesant memories is the loss on Wood v. Groh when the KS Supremes failed to follow our arguement.  I still take sh*t from my friends at the range for that one.  Maybe if I'd written a better brief...........what am I thinkin!  There is "no law west of the Kaw". :-)  SHould have known we'd lose, but I let myself hope.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Another Step Closer for Personal Protection in Kansas!

Today, Tuesday, March 14, Senate Bill 418, "The Personal and Family Protection Act" passed the Kansas House of Representatives with a vote of 90 to 33! This important legislation sponsored by Senator Phil Journey (R-26) is now heading back to the Senate for expected concurrence.  

The Governor needs to hear Kansans want their

Second Amendment Rights Protected!

Start contacting Governor Kathleen Sebelius (D) toll-free at (877) 579-6757, local at (785) 296-6240, via email at www.ksgovernor.org/comment.html, or fax (785) 368-8788 and respectfully ask her to sign SB 418 when it reaches her desk.

Spread the word to your friends, family members, and co-workers to help out by calling Governor Sebelius.  The time has come for Kansans to be trusted to protect themselves and their loved ones!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Yay.

Good, both my g/f and I sent comments to the Governor.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Yay.

Do it over, and over, and over again!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
not really gonna make a damn bit of difference until and unless we get the "inherently dangerous instrumentality" line of cases reversed.  So long as firearms ownership is strict liablity then we can all still be sued, the current bill notwithstanding.

One of my most unplesant memories is the loss on Wood v. Groh when the KS Supremes failed to follow our arguement.  I still take sh*t from my friends at the range for that one.  Maybe if I'd written a better brief...........what am I thinkin!  There is "no law west of the Kaw". :-)  SHould have known we'd lose, but I let myself hope.

Can you expound on this a bit?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yay.

Do it over, and over, and over again!

I told my mom/dad to go across the backyard and tell the KS state senator who lives there to vote for the bill.

I dont know if they ever did or not.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:25:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Decision here...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Decision here...

Good grief.  That's pretty retarded.  Although as the parent of a minor, I can't see how you claim you are not liable for the damage they do to others.  However, the implications of that with an adult third party that steals your gun are disturbing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top