Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2004 8:32:22 AM EST
So, I have a couple new bolt action rifles that I haven't shot yet and I always hear about "breaking in" a barrel. I've read that to properly "break in" a barrel you need to clean in after every shot so the rounds can polish the barrel. However, I've also read that this is nonsense. And why does this just seem to be a blot gun thing. I've never seen a guy doing it with a new AR. Hell I never did it to my 10/22 and that thing is a tack driver.

So what is it ARFCOM..... Barrel break in. Fact or Fiction?

DG84
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:36:51 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:38:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:40:20 AM EST
Man, if your talking about that McBros, you HAVE to break it in.

If you dont, you'll NEVER get the copper fouling out.

It's easy to do, just labor intensive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:40:56 AM EST
Wow. This is like Ar vs AK, .45 v 9mm, Ginger or Matyann, etc.

I have read very good arguments each way, but the late Gale McMillan used to post over at TFL, and he felt that the guys who started the movement essentially admitted to him that they started it to sell more barrels.

I think if you are methodical and careful, you won't go wrong either way. Exceptions, not applicable here, when the mfg, such as ushmaster, reccemends a specific break in.

I for one do not do the shoot/clean/shoot deal. I would like to see someone do a side by side, but it's fairly academic as long as you are careful either way. Accuracy shooting has a big mental component to it, for me anyway, so whatever you think will work will probably work.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:45:36 AM EST
Just hold off on Bump Firing for the first 500 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:56:41 AM EST
what kind of gun is it? what quality barrel?

if it is a .22 rimfire, no break in is needed. Just make sure the barrel is clean before the first shot.

if it is a chrome lined anything, nor break in is needed. Just make sure the barrel is clean before the first shot.

If it is a high quality barrel such as a shilen, lilja, pac nor, krieger, schneider, you get the picture I would follow the barrel makers directions. and don't forget to clean the barrel before the first shot.

the controversial ones are the mass makers- remington, winchester, and all of the mid quality AR's, etc etc. some of their barrels are so cruddy that a break in will help. some won't make a difference that you can tell.

bottome line- do what you want to, it won't make much difference that you can tell. unless it is a crappy barrel to start out with. oh- don't forget to clean the barrel before the first shot.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:58:13 AM EST
I have a couple of bolt guns(Winchester and a Browning) that I did the shoot-clean every 4 rounds thing for the first 100 rounds, I thought it was a waste of time and either of them shoot any better from the rest, then some of my old Model 70's.

Take it out and shoot it clean it up and it will be ready for another day
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:59:56 AM EST
Joining the Canadian sniper team? If not, then shoot the damned thing! It will outshoot you regardless.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:28:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By AZ-K9:
Man, if your talking about that McBros, you HAVE to break it in.

If you dont, you'll NEVER get the copper fouling out.

It's easy to do, just labor intensive.

OK, here's the deal fella's. Yes, the McBro's is one of the rifles I was talking about. I decided to give them a call and see what they said. Supper nice people down there I must say. Anyway, they told me to shoo and clean for the first five rounds. After that clean every three or so rounds until I've reached 18 rounds fired. After that they said, and I quote, "It's about as broke in as it will ever be."

Just thought I share what I found out with the rest of you guys.
Thanks for the help.

Mugzilla,
Sorry for wasting your time by posting this in the wrong forum. DICK!

DG84
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:43:34 AM EST
McMillan told you to shoot and clean shoot and clean for X number of shots???

Sounds like they are bucking the old man's advice.

There are enough ways to clean a bore from copper fouling to carbon to lead fouling......

Do what you want. If you want to wring every last 1/64" out of the thing, it might help to do the ritual....

If you would be happy with sub-MOA or MOA to 500-600yds {assuming you can do it as a shooter} then I wouldn't sweat it too much.....
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:47:31 AM EST
I did that on my DCM DPMS, shoot, clean, every other shot. It was a lot of work. I now would only do it on the first 10 shots next time.
Top Top