Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2011 2:04:25 PM EDT
http://missouri-news.org/midwest-news/tennessee/perry-stands-with-gibson/9478

During a campaign stop in Memphis this week, Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry adeptly played to the rhetoric of unrest reverberating around Tennessee and beyond as a result of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s raid on Gibson Guitars.

Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey, himself a critic of the Gibson raid and one of Tennessee’s highest profile Perry supporters, introduced the Texas governor during a lunchtime fundraiser at the Memphis Botanical Gardens.

Before striding to the mic, Perry took a quick detour over to the guitar player in the corner of the room.

"Let me come over here and make sure … yes, that’s what I thought that was. God bless you, that is a Gibson guitar!” Perry announced to the audience, which included local business leaders and GOP state lawmakers Rep. Mark White and Sen. Brian Kelsey.

"And you tell the government, ‘Keep your hands off of my Gibson!’,” Perry exhorted the musician.

That chop at the federal government over the Gibson raids in Nashville and Memphis was the latest in a chorus of opposition that’s grown in intensity ever since federal agents investigating whether the company illegally imported wood temporarily shut down the facilities. The government seized wood, electronic files and guitars.

A "We Stand With Gibson” rally, sponsored by several dozen Tea Party and Republican groups, is scheduled in Nashville at the Scoreboard Restaurant on Oct. 8 from 2-4 p.m. Speakers slated to appear include Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn and talk radio hosts Steve Gill, Phil Valentine and Mark Skoda.

Musicians are also increasingly speaking out about the issue.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
A "We Stand With Gibson” rally, sponsored by several dozen Tea Party and Republican groups, is scheduled in Nashville at the Scoreboard Restaurant on Oct. 8 from 2-4 p.m. Speakers slated to appear include Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn and talk radio hosts Steve Gill, Phil Valentine and Mark Skoda.

I'd totally go to that if I didn't have a kid due at about that time.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Tell her to cross her legs

Congrats on the impending kid.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'd like to...the crap that Gibson has had to endure is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
At least he is consistent! He is for illegal imports in Texas, too!

(He's plumb right on the Gibson deal, just had to take that "Illegal" gimme)
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Well played.

(someone had to say it )
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't see Ron Paul standing for Gibson, just sayin'
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well played.
(someone had to say it )

Indeed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they broke the law unjust or not shouldn't they be punished??.  I mean there are tons of people out there that break similarly unjust laws that I am sure have endured lots of things but we do not have rallies for them.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#9]
<––––  You can see by my avatar what I prefer  

For acoustics I love me a Gibson though.  Oh yeah, Perry's right too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Has Perry signed an EO requiring all parents to give their teenage daughters a Gibson guitar unless they opt out yet?

(Yeah, those are Strats over there.  I don't have the manly man hands for a LP)
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]
This is a hard one. Henry Juszkiewicz or .gov ....

I'm not sure who to root for. The guy who is fucking up Gibson or the guys who are fucking Gibson.

As long as the Montana shop is fine I'll be OK.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is a hard one. Henry Juszkiewicz or .gov ....

I'm not sure who to root for. The guy who is fucking up Gibson or the guys who are fucking Gibson.

As long as the Montana shop is fine I'll be OK.

It figures that Perry would actually have to go over to look at a guitar to see if it is a Gibson or not.

Anybody who has any interest in guitars would already know.

Pandering.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they broke the law unjust or not shouldn't they be punished??.  I mean there are tons of people out there that break similarly unjust laws that I am sure have endured lots of things but we do not have rallies for them.

Do you suggest never pushing back?

It has to start somewhere.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top