www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49341

WND HOLLYWOOD VS. AMERICA
'Law & Order' actor: I know more about war than troops
NBC's Richard Belzer dismisses '19 and 20-year-old kids who couldn't get a job'
Posted: March 19, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Richard Belzer as Det. John Munch
According to actor and comedian Richard Belzer, American troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are too uneducated to be expressing support for the U.S. military mission since they're just "19 and 20-year-old kids who couldn't get a job" and "they don't read twenty newspapers a day."

Belzer, who's best known as Detective John Munch on NBC's "Homicide: Life on the Street" and "Law & Order: Special Victim's Unit," is a frequent guest on HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher." On one previous appearance, he threatened to walk off the set when told columnist Ann Coulter was also appearing, calling her a "fascist party doll." On Friday night's live broadcast, Belzer attacked claims by fellow guest Florida Congresswoman Ileanna Ros-Lehtinen's that U.S. soldiers continue to express support for the war.

In the lively exchange, captured by the website NewsBusters, Belzer dismisses Ros-Lehtinen accounts of meeting with troops in Iraq and their credibility as "bull----."

Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen: "Having been in Iraq a few times, and Afghanistan, having met the troops one-on-one with free reign and asking them what they're doing, they're saying 'We're proud of our mission, we know what we're doing over here. We don't want you guys in Washington to lose it over there'. And there is a great sense of determination that what they are doing is making a difference. And yes, it has been an important mission what we're doing ... come on."

Richard Belzer: "Yeah, come on. Our soldiers now are at ..."

Ros-Lehtinen: "Are a volunteer force, a volunteer force."

Belzer: "Okay, fine. No one questions the nobility and the honor that these men and woman who are serving and what they're doing. No one questions that. But now they're targets, they're not going out. Now they're just protecting each other and they're in the middle of a civil war. So it's really not fair to have these people who volunteered their lives to protect our nation under false pretenses to now be a target ..."

[Loud applause for Belzer]

Ros-Lehtinen: "Ask them. Ask them if it's fair! Wait a minute, wait a minute. My stepson, wait a minute, my stepson ..."

Belzer: "That's bull----: Ask them! They're not .. they don't read twenty newspapers a day. They're under the threat of death every minute. They're not the best people to ask about the war because they're going to die any second."

Ros-Lehtinen: "Wait a minute! You are talking about my stepson, my stepson who just finished last week eight months of duty ..."

Belzer: "God bless your stepson. Doesn't mean he's a brilliant scholar about the war because he's there. And God bless him."

Ros-Lehtinen: "Oh, you are though! You are though? Okay."

Belzer: "Well I have more time, I'm not there. My life is not under threat."

Ros-Lehtinen: "Thank you. Thank you. I'm glad."

Bill Maher: "I think the point he's trying to make is that a 19-year-old who is in that army because he probably couldn't find other employment ..."

Ros-Lehtinen: "He's a college graduate. He's a Marine officer. He volunteered for the Marines."

Belzer: "He's the exception for the rule."

Ros-Lehtinen: "He's not the exception for the rule. I've been there ..."

Belzer: "You think everyone over there is a college graduate? They're 19 and 20-year-old kids who couldn't get a job ..."

Ros-Lehtinen: "Yeah, you know because you've been there and ..."

Belzer: "What, I don't f---ing read!? Don't do that!"

Maher [to Belzer]: "Woe, woe, woe. Come on. Wait, wait, wait. That ... Don't."

Belzer: "Pardon my French."

Maher: "Yes ... that was over the line and now you're going to lose ..."

Belzer: "It's this patronizing thing that people have about if you're against the war everyone's lumped together. You know, the soldiers are not scholars, they're not war experts ..."

Maher: "You're going to lose even me like Michael Moore did when he came down on Charlton Heston in Columbine."

Belzer, a conspiracy theorist who once hosted several conspiracy-themed specials for the Sci-Fi Channel, is the author of the 1999 book, "UFOs, JFK, and Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have to Be Crazy to Believe."
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:36:14 PM EDT
I've always known that guy was a Douche, it showed on Law and Order. I suspect he does a lot of improv.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:37:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Big_Louie:
Belzer, a conspiracy theorist who once hosted several conspiracy-themed specials for the Sci-Fi Channel, is the author of the 1999 book, "UFOs, JFK, and Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have to Be Crazy to Believe."

But it helps.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:37:19 PM EDT
Most of the L&O people are like that, including the writers
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:38:57 PM EDT
I say drop him off in the middle of Iraq with one of the mohammed cartoon shirts on.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:39:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:
I say drop him off in the middle of Iraq with one of the mohammed cartoon shirts on.

And nothing else!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:40:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 3:41:03 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:47:04 PM EDT
No surprises there.

A guy that has probably never been anywhere close to the military thinks that reading about a war makes him more aware of what is going on than the people who are actually there. I've read hundreds of books about the American Civil War, but I am still smart enough to know that the U.S. Grant or Robert E. Lee knew more about what went on than I do now.

Evidently the risk of being killed in a war automatically makes you a supporter of that war.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:58:20 PM EDT
Richard Belzer's wife is very easy to masturbate to.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:58:44 PM EDT
According to this asshole, if you read a bunch of newspaper articles about roofing, you are better educated about roofing that someone who does it for a living ever will be.

Pretentious elitist asshole.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:59:09 PM EDT
The thing about Belzer is that he isn't acting on any of these Law & Order or Homicide shows. He just plays himself. The scene he does on Scarface is just him being himself. Often funny, but deep down an arrogant paranoid and dellusional asshole.

"In 1985 on his talk show "Hot Properties" Belzer insisted Hulk Hogan put a wrestling move on him. Reluctantly Hulk Hogan got him in a front chin lock and Belzer passed out. Belzer soon sued Hogan for the incident."

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:04:37 PM EDT
Maybe in his case what he says is true. The part about being uneducated and not able to find a job... so military service is the only employment available.

This is from a bio on him...

"Grew up in Connecticut, briefly attended college and after a stint in the Army moved to NYC to begin a career in comedy. His successful stand-up comedy carreer led to more and more acting roles. Began playing Det. John Munch in 1993 on Homicide: Life in the Streets, when Homicide was cancelled he began playing the same character on Law & Order: SVU. Although best known for that role he has played numerous movie and TV roles and is a published author. "

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:24:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 4:28:31 PM EDT by Mr10anahaf]
Wait, I must be missing something here, he is stating that most of the soldiers in Iraq don't know the whole story? Right? I kinda have to go with him on that one, I believe a lot of the guys go into the service under an ideal and not because of an overly educated decision based on their view of world politics, especially those of middleastern nations.I can only assume there view is more based on morals and the ideal that all people have the right to live as we do, and they are willing to risk there own lives to give them that life.

The gov does not want over educated soldiers, just like at Normandy, they want goal oriented individuals, who's goal is what the Gov tells them it is , right or wrong. I'm not saying that individual soldiers are not capable of making up there own minds, however when pressed under stress to accomplish a goal that will ultimitly remove them from this stress ( going home) then ideals can be swayed.

But ultimately I'm not there, I can't say for sure what the majority of our soldiers are thinking, so I ask those of you at ARfcom who have been there these questions. On a daily basis how much time did you have and what type of material was available to you, to educate yourself on the non military information about the war?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:26:53 PM EDT
Who cares?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:30:27 PM EDT
what an asshat
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:32:15 PM EDT
Meh.

Belzers a prick, but he's right on this one.

If the army wants you to have an opinion they issue you one.

Of course the grunts support the war, they have to to do their job effectively.

85% of them still think Saddam was involved in 9/11.

When I was in Kuwait the first time we kicked Saddams ass my family knew way more about the wider war than I did.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:34:49 PM EDT
Wow, funny thing tho, I knew a hell of a lot more of what was going on in Europe when I was in then my folks and most people did living here. Doubt it has changed any as far as Iraq. Munch huh? First name Butt?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:40:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Swindle1984:
According to this asshole, if you read a bunch of newspaper articles about roofing, you are better educated about roofing that someone who does it for a living ever will be.

Pretentious elitist asshole.

^
+1
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:41:12 PM EDT
I think more of soldiers than douchebag tv actors. ANY tv actor, not just one who is as big a jerk as Belzer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:43:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 4:44:17 PM EDT by IndianaDean]
His character is the most anti-gun, anti-American, pro conspiracy theory crap character that's ever been in L&O. I'm not surprised he's like that in real life.

I'm amused at all these idiot celebrities that think they're political geniuses.

Hogan should have continued to wail on Belser back in the eighties.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:47:14 PM EDT
Hulk Hogan.....sleeper hold........pussy actor hits the floor.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:49:44 PM EDT

Bill Maher: "I think the point he's trying to make is that a 19-year-old who is in that army because he probably couldn't find other employment ..."

Sounds more like actors and comics than our best and brightest to me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:51:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By K2QB3:
Meh.

Belzers a prick, but he's right on this one.

No, in fact, he's not. Things are a bit different even than during the first Gulf War, when you were in. The average officer knows a hell of a lot more than anyone back here knows about the war.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:54:54 PM EDT
What an ass!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:58:53 PM EDT
Fuck him. Uneducated my ass. WTF was he doing when he was 19 or 20? By the looks of it, sucking c*ck.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:01:10 PM EDT

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:56:13 PM EDT
Hmph. Fuck him and all of hollywood with a splintery broomstick.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:00:03 PM EDT
And us "uneducated", "jobless" idiot soldiers are a LOT more well-informed than we ever get credit for, so those who think otherwise can have sloppy thirds and fourths off that same splintery broomstick, m'k?
Top Top