Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2011 1:21:04 PM EDT
First two batches had less flavor. No salt no nothing.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I salt mine before cooking. I also add a pinch of sugar.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I dissolve salt in the water before cooking.

Also, a pre-soak of the rice helps it a bit too.

Sometimes I use the flavor pack from some ramen, or about a quarter of one of the spice packs for "fried rice".

I would NOT add ANY fat to the rice. That's going to coat it and cause problems with water absorption.

No fats to starches if you boil them. No acids in beans when you cook them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 5:30:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm learning with my Zojirushi... First batch of Vigo Basmati, I cooked on rinse free.  2nd batch I cooked on White/Mixed with the 1/4 cup extra water per Zoji instructions for long grain rice. Still I had added no salt. I'll try salt. Should I use more or less than with a stove top method?
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I dissolve salt in the water before cooking.

Also, a pre-soak of the rice helps it a bit too.

Sometimes I use the flavor pack from some ramen, or about a quarter of one of the spice packs for "fried rice".

I would NOT add ANY fat to the rice. That's going to coat it and cause problems with water absorption.

No fats to starches if you boil them. No acids in beans when you cook them.

BS!

Fry the white rice in 1 TBS of unsalted butter/veg oil to a pale brown. Put in rice cooker with a pinch of salt and 1 TBS of chilli powder per cup of rice and add correct amount of scaldining hot water. Mex rice!  Cooks in 1/2 of usual time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I always add either butter or EVOO when cooking rice, along with seasonings if it is going to complement a meal.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Add varying amounts of salt till of find the right match for you,
That negates having to salt the rice after you cook it, which when you are making certain meals with it can be a huge pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#9]
never even thought of putting anything in my rice cooker other than, well, rice and water.

have had the same cooker for about 18 years.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#10]
We have NEVER added salt to our rice. We use New Variety Rice.

Rice + water only
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried my hand at making sushi rice in my Sanyo rice cooker. I used too much water I think. Last time I bother reading the instruction booklet for that cooker. Need to follow my gut.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I cook my rice in a pot on the stove, not in a rice cooker.  If I have it available I'll substitute a cup of chicken or turkey stock for a cup of the water.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Adding some ramen flavor pack seems interesting.  I'll have to give it a try.  I wonder about adding some soy sauce as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want the flavor in your rice, you can add bullion to the water before cooking. Makes great rice for fried rice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you want the flavor in your rice, you can add bullion to the water before cooking. Makes great rice for fried rice.

I'm gonna try this!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna try this!

Double tap it. I love fried rice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm gonna try this!

Double tap it. I love fried rice.

Look for the powdered bullion. You can get it in chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, and several other flavors.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Look for the powdered bullion. You can get it in chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, and several other flavors.

http://www.recipesfromthevine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/chicken-bullion-jar4.jpg

I stocked up on bouillon powder recently when they were on sale at my local store.  They are very versatile and a common ingredient in a ton of my recipes, so I make sure to always have it on hand.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I used chicken broth for approximately half the liquid. It didn't do that much for it... Should I try more broth next time?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I use chicken broth for all the liquid instead of water and I still add salt.I usually add chopped onions and a little chopped garlic with the uncooked rice and when the rice is done I add some butter.
The onions and garlic brown a little in my rice cooker and when the rice is done I add some butter to it.Yummmmmm

If I'm just making white rice I will use water but still put salt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top