Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2005 6:35:39 AM EDT
I am NOT a revolver guy.  Historically I get bored with anything that is not a Model 642, and sell it quickly.  But a 66 started preying on my mind a couple of months ago, and finally followed me home from the gunshop yesterday.  

I feel so dirty.  

I know it's no 1911, and I can't do with it what I can do with a .45...but it's still strangely interesting to me.  

Does anyone else sort of feel like this about revolvers?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope I'm revolver fan through and through, I feel dirty when I shoot an auto
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#2]
There is something undeniably cool about a gun that's "six for sure". Think about that - they really are extremely reliable. The damn thing is going to fire every time you pull the trigger - even if you have to pull kinda hard.

They are universally known and understood on a basic level. Nearly ANYONE can manage to load and fire a revolver with no instruction. There is beauty in mechanical simplicity.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#3]
[clint]Feelin lucky?[/clint]

Should have got a Model 29

I think it is more fun to shoot because of the reloading sequence in comparison with slapping a magazine in. You don't get the sore thumb either
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:41:42 AM EDT
[#4]
i got both and have no problem with it.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I love 1911's AND .357's.

I have a Kimber Stainless TLE II, a S&W 686+, Colt Detective Special .38 and I'm awaiting my NIB S&W Model 66 2 1/2" this week.

I love both types and shoot them equally well...however, if SHTF, I'd carry my Kimber everywhere.

HH
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I like my Auto.  gets the job done, has more ammo, and loads faster and easier.  But my .357 Stainless Steel revolver just has that " Feel" to it, you know what I mean?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I feel so dirty.  

I know what you mean.

Get one of these if you're going to shoot IDPA with it.  Ramming it throught he cylinder once in between stages will keep your reloads nice and crisp.

You wanna feel really dirty?  Drop a Miculek spring kit in there - it's wicked.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I Like Revolvers.
I Like Autos, too!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#9]
No way! I will always love "wheel guns", uber dependable, and many IMHO a work of art. Damn, makes me want to go out and buy another revolver right now!

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I like my Auto.  gets the job done, has more ammo, and loads faster and easier.  But my .357 Stainless Steel revolver just has that " Feel" to it, you know what I mean?

Yeah, I just want to growl "Fuck You" when I pick it up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I have just one revolver, a model 686+. It has the most solid feel of anythig I own. I love being able to shoot full power .357 mag through it and not takin' a beating doing it. If I ever have to "stop a threat" in my home, this one gets the job.          
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have just one revolver, a model 686+. It has the most solid feel of anythig I own. I love being able to shoot full power .357 mag through it and not takin' a beating doing it. If I ever have to "stop a threat" in my home, this one gets the job.          

How long is the barrel on your 686?  I tried to get my mom to look at one of them, but she didn't like the weight of it.  She wants a nighstand gun, and one she can toss in her robe pocket if she has to answer the door.  The dealer got her looking at the air weights with a 2-2.5in barrel.  What's the recoil on a .38/.38+p out of that short a barrel?  We were looking at the 2.5 in the 686, but the weight I figured would offset the kick.  A 12-18oz airweight seems to me would pack a punch.  She also liked the ones that came with the crimson laser grips.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't shot a lot of DA-only autos, but of the ones I have, none of them have had triggers that compare to the quality of a double action S&W revolver. I can stack the trigger on a S&W till it has just another pound to break, re-align the sights and break the shot so fast you'd never know I paused. Comparing tuned triggers, the only one of comparable quality is the 1911's.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Seal Team 6 used 4" Model 66's...   Marcinko talked about it.

LB
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Seal Team 6 used 4" Model 66's...   Marcinko talked about it.

LB

Hm. that's what this is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#16]
there are two...no wait....three kinds of handguns in the world:

Colt (no...wait...FOUR kinds of handguns: and high end ) 1911's

Smith and Wesson Revolvers

Colt Revolvers.......

you have purchased wisely, my son!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#17]
[jedi mind trick] It need a triger job and 11% forcing cone.... Send it to fat mc nasty...[/jedi mind trick]

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
[jedi mind trick] It need a triger job and 11% forcing cone.... Send it to fat mc nasty...[/jedi mind trick]

One of my good friends just graduated from gunsmithing school in Colorado, and he did a trigger job on it last night - it's 100% better than when it came out of the box.  What is this 11% forcing cone of which you speak?

I may send it to you for cerakoting at some point though.  Do they make night sights for these things?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of my good friends just graduated from gunsmithing school in Colorado, and he did a trigger job on it last night - it's 100% better than when it came out of the box.  What is this 11% forcing cone of which you speak?

I may send it to you for cerakoting at some point though.  Do they make night sights for these things?

What! Gunsmithing school and he does not know about 11% cones!
My god man! The 11% cone give the bullet a easier-longer taper to flow into. It increases accuracy and reduces lead splash from between the cylinder and barrel..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top