Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2007 6:57:02 AM EDT
So I'm looking for a revolver, for no other reason tan I don't have one, and had pretty much decided on a new stainless GP100 in 4", and lo and behold, as I cruise into the local fun store, there sits a near new S&W 19-3 6 inch in nickel. It looks to be in super shape, with no noticeable scratches in the nickel. It is a consignment piece, with a tag of $489, but I'm thinking if it is on consignment, there may be some room to get that down some.

Now I'm torn. Go with the GP, or the Smith?

You S&W guys, is that price in line with an excellent 19-3 in nickel?

Need advice fairly quickly.

I know this should go in the handguns forum, but I know it will get  more views here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So I'm looking for a revolver, for no other reason tan I don't have one, and had pretty much decided on a new stainless GP100 in 4", and lo and behold, as I cruise into the local fun store, there sits a near new S&W 19-3 6 inch in nickel. It looks to be in super shape, with no noticeable scratches in the nickel. It is a consignment piece, with a tag of $489, but I'm thinking if it is on consignment, there may be some room to get that down some.

Now I'm torn. Go with the GP, or the Smith?

SMITH.

They aren't making any more 19-3s. There will be GP-100s out there until Jesus comes back.

You S&W guys, is that price in line with an excellent 19-3 in nickel?

Need advice fairly quickly.

I know this should go in the handguns forum, but I know it will get  more views here.

489 is a touch expensive...but if the gun is in excellent (as in you can't really tell it isn't new) shape then that's not an outrageous price.

If you have the cash and you want it, I say go for it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#2]
all things equal, I default to the Smith.

450$ and I would buy it with no hesitation if it is in the condition you say.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Smith, no question.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#4]
GP100
The only reason I say this is because I abhor nickel finishes.
If it were a SS or blued S&W,I would definitely prefer the S&W for the better trigger pull/smoother action.

That said,you can't go wrong with a GP100 if you want a big heavy .357.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a GP-100. I love it. It is a tank. It has never, nor will it probably ever fail me. It is accurate and it is a gun I highly reccomend.

However.  I also just got an S&W 629 Trail boss 44 mag.  The smith is MUCH more refined.  Smoother. Just a better end product quality.

Both are awesome. Both will function and work until Jesus comes back(and wants to go to the range).

The Smith just smooths out the rough edges better.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I went down there and offered $450 for the Smith, and the seller accepted, so I'm  the proud new papa of a loud shiny thing, er, or I will be in ten days when the California gun adoption process concludes.

Like was mentioned earlier, those GPs will be available forever, and I got this 19 for less than the GP would have been priced at, and it is new for all intents and purposes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#7]
My first handgun was a GP100. Good gun, but over time I didn't fire it as much. It's accurate, but it's big and heavy. My tastes changed and I wanted a smaller revolver, so I might carry it once and a while. I went to the other extreme and sold the Ruger, and bought a S&W snubby. I love it and feel it's more useful since I can carry it.

GP100 was just too big and heavy. You might also consider a Ruger SP101: small, but still good heft.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#8]
They're asking too much IMO for that model 19.  See if they'll take $400 for it.  I got my 19 6" for 250 about 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]
My gunsmith, who just happens to manufacture gun barrels full-time for Wilson Combat and does part-time smithing on the side HATES ANY "MIM" (metal injection molding) parts and encourages replacement of all MIM parts with machined steel parts because MIM parts are brittle, often have hair-line cracks, lines of cleavage, and subject to shattering at the worst possible time.

That being said, Rugers are ENTIRELY made of MIM parts, including frames, and all internal parts such as triggers, sears, slide-stops, etc. everything except for barrels and springs are MIM. In fact, Ruger brags that they wrote the book on MIM, (which is why they can build guns cheaper than anyone else)

Just my humble .02, nothing more...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My gunsmith, who just happens to manufacture gun barrels full-time for Wilson Combat and does part-time smithing on the side HATES ANY "MIM" (metal injection molding) parts and encourages replacement of all MIM parts with machined steel parts because MIM parts are brittle, often have hair-line cracks, lines of cleavage, and subject to shattering at the worst possible time.

That being said, Rugers are ENTIRELY made of MIM parts, including frames, and all internal parts such as triggers, sears, slide-stops, etc. everything except for barrels and springs are MIM. In fact, Ruger brags that they wrote the book on MIM, (which is why they can build guns cheaper than anyone else)

For non-critical parts I see no problem with MIM. Sorry for the hijack.

Go for the Smith.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#11]
S&W

I have a 627 and love it.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ruger's frames are not MIM.  They are investment cast, which is a completely different process.  I won't detail differences, but a look at the Ruger website and a little Google action will tell you the truth.  Given the choice between what I could break easier, it'd be a S&W Model 19, not a GP-100.  That being said, they're both quality guns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#13]
<----  I do not consider a GP100 to be heavy at all. Heavy to carry..? Perhaps. But not too often you'd carry a 6" revolver out of the sticks. JMO.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top