Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/3/2005 5:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 6:17:45 PM EDT by LWilde]
Today our new Fisher & Paykel washer and dryer were delivered. We have run about five loads through them so far and I've never seen a more effective set of laundry appliances nor heard a washer or dryer like these. They REALLY are revolutionary in their design and in their overall effectiveness. The machines incorporate all sorts of cool innovative ideas.

The washer is fully auto...I mean all you do is load it up with clothes and detergent and hit the go button. It fills, while turning the tub slowly, wetting the load. It stops and senses for correct water level based on the load, then continues until it achieves the correct level and thats all! No wasted water. As it is filling, it fills fron a secondary spot and that water is from the tank below the drum and it is mixed with the detergent. Spin speed is graduated and load type dependent but can go easily to 1000rpm. The clothes are almost dry when the cycle is done. The washer has only a couple of electronic, mechanical or electrical parts in it. It uses a very large ultra quiet DC motor and flywheel to drive the tub and agitator. The cycle is pretty gentle but very effective, even when doing jeans and towels. The strangest thing is when it goes into the spin cycle. It sounds like a jet engine spooling up! Not loud...just weird.

The dryer loads from the top. It has a gigantic stainless tub mounted with the long axis of the cylinder across the width axis of the machine. Very easy to load and unload from a rectangular "hatch" in the top which opens and closes with a noticeable thud when starting or stopping. The dryer tub spins in two directions. The air flow is incredible. The clothes come out dry and unwrinkled very quickly.

Until recently, we had a set of five year old Sears Kenmore Elites. Seemed to work OK until about six months ago when they began acting up. About a month ago, each of them began to really fail. First the dryer quit working on some of the cycles and was requiring three and four cycles to dry a load of clothes ($250 - $400 depending on what had failed.). Then the washer agitator broke its mounting and simply spun around. Finally, on Sunday, the washer simply puked water all over the place, flooding the house down into the basement living area. Thankfully, there is no permanent damage that we can see yet. I was so pissed I didn't even make a service call this time. I just decided to shitcan both.

Our choice of the F&P was largely due to the great advice I received from our own DrFrige!

When the appliance guys delivered and installed the new machines today, they backed up what the Good Doctor said: These F&Ps are the schnizzel! One of the men said he has a pair of F&P machines too. He is also a repair tech and he told me he can field strip and re-assemble an F&P washer in a flat 17 minutes! That is how easy they are to maintain.

Most importantly, She Who Must be Obeyed is once again a Happy Woman...and that is good for all of us here!

Thanks again Doc!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:04:08 PM EDT
Neat. I've never heard of Fisher and Paykel. Is there no end to the ARFCOM mind?

Our Whirpools are getting old. I'd like to take a look at these.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 6:15:50 PM EDT by LWilde]

Originally Posted By Ramjet:
Neat. I've never heard of Fisher and Paykel. Is there no end to the ARFCOM mind?

Our Whirpools are getting old. I'd like to take a look at these.

Go here and follow your mouse...www.fisherpaykel.com/
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 6:20:36 PM EDT by IchWarrior]
I think my new house may need some of these...

Checking on the price tag, maybe not

Yar!

What stores are carrying these washer/dryers?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:29:37 PM EDT
I've owned an F&P washer and Dryer for 4 months now couldn't happier. About the same situation as yours. Old washer decided to go tits up. Went to lowes and the sales guy started preaching the virtues of a washer I'd never heard of, fisher & Paykel. To be honest I wasn't too impressed, F&P looked overly simple and rather cheap looking compared to the Maytags and Wirlpools. I figured the salesman was trying to push some Chinese/ korean crap lowes was over stocked on.

My wife on the other hand was sold and we bought washer and a gas dryer. When I got them home and hooked them up. Put in the first load pushed the power and start button on the washer and the cool light display lit up, pretty neat. Clothes come out of the washer incredibly dry. The dryer has very little work to do. We're very happy with our set
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:33:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IchWarrior:
I think my new house may need some of these...

Checking on the price tag, maybe not

Yar!

What stores are carrying these washer/dryers?

Try Lowes and various appliance stores. Go to the site I provided and do a zip code search.

I tried a couple of Lowes stores but they were sold out. I did some research in our area and found a great store about 25 miles away that delievered and set up for about $120.00. I just did the entire transaction over the phone and the took care of everything.

They were super professional and made sure that both worked perfectly and that Miz LWilde and I understood everything before they left. This retail store actually beat Lowe's prices too.

Oh...BTW...for those anti-world economy American union dudes among us, forget buying these. They are made in New Zealand. The company has something like 20+ patents on the washer alone. That would explain why our American washers and dryers are still using 50 year old technology.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:33:38 PM EDT
Next thing you know they'll be telling you what movies to watch or a tiger will eat one of them. I forget which.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:40:25 PM EDT

.............our automatic lint filter ensures lint is pumped out with the wash water

Maybe next year I'll have $$ for a washer and dryer...
Top Top