Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/13/2015 10:52:50 PM EST
So this is it. The breaking point, the last year in UK. It appears what in the starting week the professor already gave us a rather hefty assigment; thankfully i have a solution to this

I have all my works from previous years still saved, ....question is,

could I get in trouble if i retitle/reword and work alittle on some of my other assigments from my earlier years there or even high school*yeh i save all my stuffs

soooo lazy right now and i dont feel doing this, so i want to use my older works. I mean they are mine, right..right?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:54:56 PM EST
I thought everyone did this
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:55:13 PM EST
Uk?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:55:43 PM EST
It's called recycling. You will have to consult the school's policy. No one can help you here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:57:06 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By maleante:
Uk?
View Quote

University of Kentucky?

OP - I've done it. Multiple times.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:57:47 PM EST
A good syllabus will usually be specific enough to dissuade the recycling of previous papers. From the level of writing in your post, I assume this issue relates to high school, just ask your teacher. When you attend a university, it will not be acceptable.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:58:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By glockftwbbq:
It's called recycling. You will have to consult the school's policy. No one can help you here.
View Quote
It's usually against the code of academic integrity, and you can potentially get into trouble over it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:58:59 PM EST
Depends on the school. Some will say it's ok, some will claim plagiarism.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:59:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By ThePatriot556:
A good syllabus will usually be specific enough to dissuade the recycling of previous papers. From the level of writing in your post, I assume this issue relates to high school, just ask your teacher. When you attend a university, it will not be acceptable.
View Quote

LULZ
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:59:56 PM EST
I saw someone get busted for that. It wasn't pretty for them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:15:43 PM EST
Ask the professor. You may have to cite your older work. It may be prohibited.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:19:12 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:19:58 PM EST
Have you ever used turnitin before?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:21:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:21:59 PM EST
It is plagiarism. Yes, even if it is your own work. You know this or you wouldn't be starting a thread looking for someone to say it's ok...
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:22:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Just cite it appropriately.

Most plagiarism checkers will pick it up if your professor runs your papers through one. For my Masters program I had to run every paper through it. By the end of the program it was getting hits on previous papers because I was recycling references, not even reusing old work.
View Quote

I had this happen when finishing out my bachelors. It said I plagiarized my own work.

I went to a King Kong level of pissed off in my teachers office.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:23:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By ilove762NATO:
Have you ever used turnitin before?
View Quote

This.

Before that software was developed, I used the same research paper for three classes. I did the work, might as well get my times worth out of it.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:24:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By skyshark288:
It is plagiarism. Yes, even if it is your own work. You know this or you wouldn't be starting a thread looking for someone to say it's ok...
View Quote

How can one steal their previous ideas?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:28:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/13/2015 11:28:18 PM EST by TarzanT]
It's getting so bad I was getting hits on totally original work. Seems there are only so many ways to say the same thing without creating a sentence that was used sometime in the past by somebody. As the database of papers gets bigger, the problem will get worse.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:32:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/13/2015 11:32:57 PM EST by skyshark288]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

While I personally do not think there is anything wrong with "recycling". Just read a syllabus for any class at a respectable university and you will find that it is labeled plagiarism and is strictly prohibited.

When you're given an assignment the instructor wants you to go through all steps of the writing process. You are gaining experience through this. You are becoming a better researcher and honing your writing skills.

Great, you wrote a good paper last year. Now show me what you've learned since then.

Googling this issue will turn up both sides of the issue, but in reality it doesn't matter because in academia it is forbidden and usually carries a penalty of expulsion.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:34:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/13/2015 11:47:17 PM EST by Angel_King]

View All Quotes

Merriam-Webster: To use the words or ideas of another person as if they were your own words or ideas.

Oxford: Take (the work or an idea of someone else) and pass it off as one’s own.

Yup, not seeing how it's plagiarism. It might be heavily frowned upon academically but it's not plagiarism.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:42:56 PM EST
good stuff, ty for the replies
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:45:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/13/2015 11:45:18 PM EST by whiskerz]
Paging DK Prof to the plagiarized courtesy phone
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:47:42 PM EST
It's your work, reuse it
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:55:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
It's your work, reuse it
View Quote
Terrible advice.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:57:14 PM EST

While I personally do not think there is anything wrong with "recycling". Just read a syllabus for any class at a respectable university and you will find that it is labeled plagiarism and is strictly prohibited.

When you're given an assignment the instructor wants you to go through all steps of the writing process. You are gaining experience through this. You are becoming a better researcher and honing your writing skills.

Great, you wrote a good paper last year. Now show me what you've learned since then.

Googling this issue will turn up both sides of the issue, but in reality it doesn't matter because in academia it is forbidden and usually carries a penalty of expulsion.
View All Quotes

if you're turning in the exact same paper, i can see your argument. but if you're taking earlier work and adding to it, doing more research, etc, what's wrong with using the original paper and fleshing it out further? doesn't that demonstrate further understanding of the material?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:02:39 AM EST
You need to write a new paper.

The research, bibliography and citations are reusable though so it shouldn't take much effort.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:13:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By MEDIKEIGHTED:

if you're turning in the exact same paper, i can see your argument. but if you're taking earlier work and adding to it, doing more research, etc, what's wrong with using the original paper and fleshing it out further? doesn't that demonstrate further understanding of the material?
View All Quotes

Some professors and some schools specifically state that submitting work that has ever been submitted for a grade in the past (in any class anywhere) is cheating.

So if you're going to recycle something you really need to recycle it into something very different to not run afoul of this.

Say you write a paper on the effect of the various Crusades on the technology of Yemen. You might use that to develop another paper on the history of the technology used in Yemen from 0 AD to the present, but simply revamping the same paper on the same original topic conflicts with the rule.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:29:02 AM EST
At the University of Alaska Fairbanks, reusing existing papers, even your own, is considered plagiarism.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:36:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By jherm77:

LULZ
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThePatriot556:

LULZ

LOL
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:38:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By Angel_King:

Merriam-Webster: To use the words or ideas of another person as if they were your own words or ideas.

Oxford: Take (the work or an idea of someone else) and pass it off as one’s own.

Yup, not seeing how it's plagiarism. It might be heavily frowned upon academically but it's not plagiarism.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Angel_King:

It's not plagiarism, but it still violates the student code of academic integrity at the university for which I teach. Some places call it self-plagiarism, double-dipping, recycling, or dovetailing.

Actually, the code at my school is worded such that it is prohibited if it is not cited AND it has not been approved by the course instructor.

I've never had a student ask me about it. If they did, I would let them recycle their paper. No point in doing work twice. However, I would advise them that it is unlikely my assignment and a prior assignment were exactly the same, so tweaking their old paper a bit might be warranted.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:39:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/14/2015 12:40:08 AM EST by NineLivez]
Help me out here, how can reusing your own work be plagiarism? It doesn't even fit the definition.

pla·gia·rism
'plaj??riz?m/
noun
the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

ETA: Annnnnd, beat again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:39:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/14/2015 12:43:29 AM EST by tc2k11]
So near the end... Best to throw it all away with a little lazy plagiarism!

Yes, that'd be plagiarizing yourself, unless you cite yourself, which can be pretty tacky sometimes. In the situation you describe, it'd be so tacky that you might not be able to climb the steps and walk across the stage at commencement. (hint, hint)

ETA: It may not be plagiarism by definition, but at the university level, it might as well be, because the consequences are often the same.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:10:59 AM EST
Unless your professor gives you permission, "recycling" is plagiarism.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:33:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/14/2015 1:38:32 AM EST by RogueSpear2023]
Often its not allowed. I had a professor once jump the gun saying I plagerized someone's work because her plargerism checker said I did. I said who's work did I plagiarize, so she looks it up, and it was a published paper of mine. I said see its not plagerism if its mine. She agreed but stated in the future that I should cite my own published work.

In my case I never took the whole paper but a few paragraphs I reworded from my earlier work, but it was close enough the plagerizm checker picked it up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:40:21 AM EST
Just don't
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:43:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/14/2015 1:47:39 AM EST by outofstep]
Originally Posted By WoWPro:
So this is it. The breaking point, the last year in UK. It appears what in the starting week the professor already gave us a rather hefty assigment; thankfully i have a solution to this

I have all my works from previous years still saved, ....question is,

could I get in trouble if i retitle/reword and work alittle on some of my other assigments from my earlier years there or even high school*yeh i save all my stuffs

soooo lazy right now and i dont feel doing this, so i want to use my older works. I mean they are mine, right..right?
View Quote

Properly cite yourself [1] and it shouldnt be a problem. As long as all sources are listed and properly credited, it cant be plagiarism. Thats how they can suck your dick and you can use your own material [2]. Its about working smarter, not harder.

[1] outofstep. Forum posting. "On using prior work" AR15.com, -link address- 15 Oct 2013
[2] outofstep. Forum posting. "How to get good grades" AR15.com -link address- 19 Jan 2011
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:44:53 AM EST
That's what the pro's do. Your work, reworked.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:45:18 AM EST
Define Hefty assignment
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:46:38 AM EST
It could have very bad consequences. And modern tech has made it much easier for professors to create a database to consult.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:58:20 AM EST
It's called self-plagiarism and you will get raked over the coals if discovered.

I would advise taking your old content, revising it to your current academic standing as if you were heavily editing it and the result is a new original work which approaches the same level of academic quality and aptitude of where you are right now, not where you were back then.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:08:01 AM EST
As long as it can't be matched using the Tegrity system. Either way use caution.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:44:36 AM EST
In college, you pay them for the privilege of NOT re-using your own work.. in the real world, the best code is the cleanest, most re-usable code you can generate. If I had to redo every project I've ever done from scratch, I'd eat a bullet.

In other words: college, lol.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:46:26 AM EST
Depends on the school. Some will say it's ok, some will claim plagiarism.
View Quote
how the fuck is it stealing if you use your own writing?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:49:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By LePew:

Some professors and some schools specifically state that submitting work that has ever been submitted for a grade in the past (in any class anywhere) is cheating.

So if you're going to recycle something you really need to recycle it into something very different to not run afoul of this.

Say you write a paper on the effect of the various Crusades on the technology of Yemen. You might use that to develop another paper on the history of the technology used in Yemen from 0 AD to the present, but simply revamping the same paper on the same original topic conflicts with the rule.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LePew:

no, it just means you did the work for the class before you were ever in the class
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:58:26 AM EST
I had to read "To kill a mockingbird" every year from 6th grade to 12th grade. Every YEAR.

I wrote the same paper every time, word for word. I got grades varying from A+ to C-. In no particular year order.

Not quite college level stuff, but it was pretty interesting.

A buddy of mine who went to Whitman used a LOT of stuff from his high school English classes, even papers he pretty much made up, including fake sources in APA format, and did well in school.

Back then I guess they didn't have the internet resources they do today. LOL. College is a joke. (this from a college student)
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:14:46 AM EST
I would call it plagiarism if you used the same lighting, consumed the same beverage, sat in the same position, or thought any of the same thoughts you had used previously, in any capacity. Every paper must be totally original. Original premise, original research, original statistics, everything. Using the same font, submitting it under the same name, all plagiarism.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:39:22 AM EST
righting papers are stupid.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:24:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/14/2015 6:27:19 AM EST by Jason280]
I wrote the same paper every time, word for word. I got grades varying from A+ to C-. In no particular year order.
View Quote

I wrote a paper for Political Science class as a freshman in college, worked pretty hard on it, and made an "A". Gave it to my brother, a senior in high school, who also turned it in...he made a "C". I was pissed!! ;)

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:28:36 AM EST
That was a no go at my school. All of our submitted papers went through some program that looked for plagarism and recycled work.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:30:59 AM EST
I used the same book report every year from 5th grade to 12th grade... just added new words as my vocabulary and writting style grew

I got A's on every one of em
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top