Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 3:13:05 PM EDT
If I returned a receiver/gun to the manufacturer, do I need to fill out any .GOV paperwork to let the authorities know that the receiver/gun is no longer in my possession? This is probably a stupid question, but I never sold a gun or had to return a receiver/gun.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#1]
dont think you need to do anything.  If they are taking permenant posession I think they need to report it as part of their inventory
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If I returned a receiver/gun to the manufacturer, do I need to fill out any .GOV paperwork to let the authorities know that the receiver/gun is no longer in my possession? This is probably a stupid question, but I never sold a gun or had to return a receiver/gun.

Thanks in advance.

No.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you just sending a firearm or receiver in for repair?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't worry about it.  If they repair it and resell it they will renumber it. Otherwise they will most likely destroy it and therefore it will never come back to haunt you.

rj
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
No. GCA '68 specifically allows an individual to return a firearm to a manufacturer or a gunsmith/repair facility for repair or replacement. The person initiating the return does not need and FFL and does not need to use an FFL to do so.

The gunsmith/repair/facility and/or manufacturer are also allowed to return the same firearm directly to an owner without going through an FFL. I have done this many times as an individual and as a gunsmith , both from and to clients, and never had any problems. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the fast replies. I documented everything just in case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top