Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2002 5:40:08 PM EDT
Guys I had a pretty rough 7 days last week and Friday it got a whole lot worse for me.  On Saturday of last week I sold a revolver to a retired cop that told me he had a possum problem.  On Thursday he shot his neighbor with it.  I feel terrible about this but, I did things by the book.  I hope the guy is going to make it but, it doesn't sound like it.  

[url]http://www.chronline.com/news/news2.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope he pulls through.  Damned rough world out there sometimes.  It's a crappy situation for all involved all because one old man couldn't keep it in his pants so to speak.  If anything the judge in question should have taken action before the SHTF not to mention that the family should have either watched the old guy more closely or they should have removed him from the scene altogether and stuck him in a home.  At 82 years of age, he knows that life is nearing its end and he would not have to suffer long in jail before he succumbs to old age or illness.  If you hate someone enough to kill him, you have less holding you back at 82 than you do at 32.  My grandpa was the same way, but thankfully most people that had the potential to really piss him off were wise enough to keep a good distance.  We also took all his ammo and kept it elsewhere.  He was a mean old bastard I tell ya.  I love him still, but he was as mean as can be at times.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Hey 1GR, think you can fix me up with a preban 10/22 ?

Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear that. If you followed the laws, (and I'm sure you did) you have nothing to worry about.

As Shadowblade stated, nice of them to mention  your store [:(!] I wonder when a drunk driver hurts someone, if they make a point of mentioning where they bought their car!
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear that, but remember in a free country, people have the freedom to act stupid, or evil, or criminal.  All we can do is insure that they pay the price. Alternatively, this old guy might have run down his victim, or burned his house, etc.

Just look what a job the Hindu's and Muslims are doing on each other without the benefit of firearms.

I believe you are doing a service to this country by supporting the 2nd.  Don't let the bastards get you down.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought cops could do no wrong.  ??

Sympathies, 1GR.  I hope everything turns out as well as possible under the circumstances.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#7]
There is absolutely no way of knowing the true intentions of a person buying a weapon.

The idiot laws that keep getting passed are because of the idiots like your ex-cop.  That idiot, like most idiots, are great actors, but lousy performers.

I haven't used my new scope, rings and ammo you sold me for evil (yet), and I know I have more enemies then that stupid dickweed.  

For every jerk who buys a firearm to cause trouble with, there are dozens who buy them to stop idiots dead in their tracts.  I like to think you supply mostly to the later.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#8]
What? You mean this state's five day waiting period didn't stop him?
That sucks, but what could you have done to prevent it? It is not like you could read his mind.

Kyle
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Repeat after me:

"Guns don't kill people, [b]PEOPLE[/B] kill people."
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:52:10 AM EDT
[#10]
"Lefty" huh?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sympathies, 1GR.  I hope everything turns out as well as possible under the circumstances.
View Quote

Cops are alot like regular people, some are assholes, some are actually OK. Oh by the way he's retired, so that makes him a civilian, just like you 71.[;D]

1Gunrunner, there is no possible way to tell what is going through the mind of everyone wanting to legally purchase a firearm.  Even though it is safe to assume that they'll be used for legitimate purposes, it's unfortunate that every now and then you'll get a "Bad" customer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#12]
If he hadn't used a gun and instead went to the local Home Depot and bought a gas can and then went to an Exxon station bought some gas and torched the guys house do you think they would have mentioned the names and location of the stores involved?  I for one do not.  Good luck, you did nothing wrong and in fact the family of this old nut case is more culpable since they obviously knew he was capable and determined to do something by thier actions in removing all of his firearms prior to his purchase at your store.  A candle will be lit for all involved.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:57:02 AM EDT
[#13]
i too had a property line dispute wyth a neighbor many years ago, i told her i was going to kill her if she set foot on my property one more tyme, (by this tyme, i had 9 visits from her tacking threatening notes to my door during the night), i took the notes to court & two witnesses to get a restraining order.., the judge refused the request because he didn't "FEEL" she was that much of a threat to me & my wife, but he took the threat to kill her seriously, altho there was no witness to back up her allegation !!! for the next three weeks it was one constant hassle, every other day a fuckin cop was at my door wyth another one of her petty complaints, one day two cops came into my 6' high walled in back yard uninvited, there was a scuffle, then the supervisor showed up & ordered those cops out of my yard, told me to be calm & he wud clear it up..., it seems he too was getting very frustrated sending patrolmen to my place because some slut lesbian & her fukin girlfriend were calling the station two & three tymes a day, i was at the point one day of starting a shooting war when my wife stepped in front of the muzzle & said, it's not worth it....! lets just move !!!!! two weeks later we were in our new home 25 miles further away......, & i have never been happier......!!!

i'd still lyke to kill the bitch..., just for the hell of it !!! but, it's long ago history & i have nearly forgotten it till i read this note......

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:00:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i too had a property line dispute wyth a neighbor many years ago, i told her i was going to kill her if she set foot on my property one more tyme, (by this tyme, i had 9 visits from her tacking threatening notes to my door during the night), i took the notes to court & two witnesses to get a restraining order.., the judge refused the request because he didn't "FEEL" she was that much of a threat to me & my wife, but he took the threat to kill her seriously, altho there was no witness to back up her allegation !!! for the next three weeks it was one constant hassle, every other day a fuckin cop was at my door wyth another one of her petty complaints, one day two cops came into my 6' high walled in back yard uninvited, there was a scuffle, then the supervisor showed up & ordered those cops out of my yard, told me to be calm & he wud clear it up..., it seems he too was getting very frustrated sending patrolmen to my place because some slut lesbian & her fukin girlfriend were calling the station two & three tymes a day, i was at the point one day of starting a shooting war when my wife stepped in front of the muzzle & said, it's not worth it....! lets just move !!!!! two weeks later we were in our new home 25 miles further away......, & i have never been happier......!!!

i'd still lyke to kill the bitch..., just for the hell of it !!! but, it's long ago history & i have nearly forgotten it till i read this note......

View Quote

OT: - Dude what is with your spelling? You're either really pissed off right now, "I" is broken on your keyboard or you normally spell women -  "Womyn"
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:09:40 AM EDT
[#15]
My email to the writer of the article quoted in the URL in 1GR's post above:

Re: Bullets remain inside Dosser

Ms. Decker,

I was sad to read the account of the 82 year old man shooting his neighbor. It is a tragedy to all involved. This man should have been committed long ago, if his family and neighbors and local law enforcement had found him to be so dangerous. However, I found it odd that the place where the man purchased the gun had to be mentioned. In similar murders, where the victim is run over by, say, a drunk driver, is the name of the car dealership mentioned, where the car that was used to kill a victim was purchased? How about the liquor store where the drunk driver got his booze? Maybe we should be a lot fairer and even-handed in the media, so as to avoid the appearance of bias?

Just curious.

I await her reply with bated breath[rolleyes].....
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:17:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:23:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:26:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:01:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OT: - Dude what is with your spelling? You're either really pissed off right now, "I" is broken on your keyboard or you normally spell women -  "Womyn"
View Quote

I've noticed that Jack uses "y" a lot of times in place of "i". I thought it was just some type of trademark thing like EricThe(AlwaysSayingSomething)Hun.

Other than the "y" thing his spelling looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks guys, for the support.  I am a little pissed they did not pull his commission card on this but, I guess an anti-harassment order in a non-domestic case doesn't warrant revoking.  The guy had come into my store about a week in advance and looked at revolvers.  I asked him then what happened to his service revolver; he told me he had given it to a son out of town.  He told me that he had a possum problem around the house that needed attention and he would  talk it over with his wife and be back. (Now that, I hear from 75% of the guys coming through the door).   He came back around a week later and told me that the possum problem hadn't got any better and he better go ahead and get the revolver.  At some point during the sale we discovered that we were both left handed.  He was a very competent and intelligent acting gentleman.  At some point before he left he told me "Never trust a lefty".  I guess now I know what he meant.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That is why if I were to ever want to get rid of a firearm, rather than selling it off, I'd just have it destroyed.  Take it to a machine shop & mill it in half.  That would take care of any fear that someone would use it to murder anyone.

-iNuhBaDNayburhood
View Quote

That would make it a little hard to make a living.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Cops are alot like regular people, some are assholes, some are actually OK. Oh by the way he's retired, so that makes him a civilian, just like you 71.[;D]
View Quote

But if he's the same as the rest of the "civilians", how come retired cops are allowed to carry concealed in some places where concealed carry is banned to non-cops?  And what was that bit that 1GR mentioned about "they did not pull his commission card on this"?  Is a "commission card" some sort of retired-LEO thing that "civilians" don't get??
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#25]
True a retired LEO with commision card affords him special rights.  In this case it exempted him from a 5 day waiting period and a NICS check.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Gunrunner, let me give you a piece of unsolicited advice.  Let your lawyer do the talking now & don't post anymore tidbits about the old man or the situation. You never know when the civil lawsuit will hit...  If your lawyer already told you that you were in the clear - fine, but if he told you it's OK to post details about selling the weapon - get a new lawyer.  I'm not trying to be an asshole, but since this is a public forum, your posts could always be used, & twisted, against you in a civil lawsuit by the victim's family.  Play it safe...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top