Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 2:17:32 AM EDT
I was over at some of my friends' house at a New Years party. The town in which I live is a college town, and his house is very near campus. There are still some...suspicious/nefarious characters living around. A bunch of us were out on the porch hanging out and enjoying cigarettes.
A guy that lives caddy-corner to my friends' house, with whom we are unfortunately familiar (he often wanders over during parties to try to bum cigarettes and booze) decides he's going to celebrate New Years with some fireworks.
9x19mm Fireworks
That's right. He raised his firearm to about a 60-65 degree angle in the air and fired off ammunition. Every second or two he'd fire one more. It was obviously cycling the action, so it must have been LIVE AMMUNITION.
The guy is so excited about owning a gun (most likely illegal) he wants to show it off and look like a badass by firing it in the street.

I was armed with only a knife, as I was drinking. He didn't pose an imminant threat to myself or anyone at the party. However, it is illegal to discharge a firearm within the city's limits, he discharged said firearm withing 50 yards from the street (he was on the sidewalk, so lets say 2 feet), he fired live rounds into the air, it's most likely an illegal firearm, and it was (at his house, which is) less than 1/10th of a mile from the campus of my university.

Ironically, before the party, an officer pulled into my apartment's parking lot (the assholes across the street from me yelled "Did you call the cops!?" when the cruiser was slowing down, getting ready to pull into my driveway, as if they knew they were doing something illegal). He was looking for the house of people who were shooting off fireworks (and most likely figured it was us since we've done it in the pasthe
We did not call the police, for a couple of reasons:
It would just cause trouble, because the guy is friends with all the houses around him..pretty much everyone except for the house in which my friends live. He's...acquainted with my friends, but none of them like him. (Especially for reasons such as wanting to come to the party and asking "can I bring my gun?" showing he's aching to show it off to everyone)
Some underage kids showed up and were drinking, and we didn't want to get involved in that, especially risking arrests for residents of the house.

I was definately on my guard, however. Interesting situation. Everyone pretty much ignored him, which was probably the safest move.
I don't know if what I did or didn't do was the right thing (i.e. not calling the police), but all of my friends are safe. Hopefully the paper won't report someone having died from a stray bullet.

Fucking idiots!
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:53:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Kap,   In the future leave and go to a secure site.  Nothing at that party was worth your future.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:04:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Kap,   In the future leave and go to a secure site.  Nothing at that party was worth your future.

+1. Be smart. Be safe. And apparently, wear a fucking helmet.

See him with the gun again, call the cops. If your friends aren't cool with it, they're not your friends.

Words of wisdom: If you have a party, and someone says "Cool! Can I bring my gun?", the correct answer is "No."
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
They told him no when he asked. They didnt even want him to come over. When he discharged the firearm, it was from his house across the street and about 1 house down to the right. I was mainly trying to keep everyone else safe.
I hate shitty situations.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 2:33:36 AM EDT
[#4]
The transformer on the power-line outside of my apartment was arcing badly today (it happened yesterday, too, and the power company came out and I guess did nothing..not surprising). We called the fire dept, and they came out with a cruiser until the power company finally showed up.
Anyway, I was hanging out taking to the cop, and I told him about the incident on New Years. He told me that it happens a lot and that they "don't even respond to those calls." He acted like people firing off handguns in the street was no big deal at all--apparently the cops here don't believe in gravity...or laws (unless there's underage drinking at the bars, where they make their money).

WTF! Someone is firing off a firearm wildly in the street, and the cops don't even care? If this doesn't disturb you, chances are you're retarded.haveLaw Enforcement Officer tells me the city police department doesn't care about numerous extremely dangerous felonies and the subsequent possible DEATH of innocents, and instead "stay inside," I get pretty angry.

I guess I need to start the Milledgeville Department of Vigilantes
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 2:49:40 AM EDT
[#5]
First off, it's not a felony. Depending on your jurisdiction it may not even be illegal.

As for the danger,  You'll find all the people you want on this site that will claim any hazard is complete nonsense and falling bullets are about as dangerous as thrown marshmallows.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 2:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
First off, it's not a felony. Depending on your jurisdiction it may not even be illegal.

As for the danger,  You'll find all the people you want on this site that will claim any hazard is complete nonsense and falling bullets are about as dangerous as thrown marshmallows.  

Anything falling out of the sky is dangerous, but Mythbusters told me that bullets falling straight down were not likely to cause serious injury.  

However, from the OP, this idiot was shooting at a 60-65 degree angle which would mean these bullets were most definitely dangerous.  I certainly hope no one was hurt by that idiot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#7]
When you're talking several hundred feet, I don't think it would matter if a bullet came straight down or at an angle. It would definitely fuck someone up or kill them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top