Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/2/2008 3:35:25 PM EDT

Quite a few times in the last couple of years I've had cashiers ask me for email address, phone number, or zip code.  I just tell them "No thanks" and they leave it at that, but some of them seem genuinely surprised that I won't give it up immediately.  

What do they need this for?  Market survey?

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, marketing data.  I don't mind giving them my ZIP but on the phone number I might change a digit...
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they need zips for market survey stuff. Phone numbers and e-mail for telemarketing and spamming. I usually just give them the first random number I can think of.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]
the checkout at Kohls wanted my SSN.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever they ask for, tell them you don't have one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#5]
867-5309
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure what they use it for.

I was at a store buying a video game for Christmas and the clerk wanted enter my number in the computer. I refused to give it to him.

He looked at me like."But it will be easier for me"

Then I looked at him like.

I still refused to give it to him, so he rang up my stuff, I paid and was on my way. How fucking hard was that to begin with?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been shopping at Old Navy for 10 years, they are the only store that I go to that ask for your zip code.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I give my zip, there are a lot of people that live there.

The rest of that?  Never been asked...
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#9]
i always give this number202 456 1414
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Marketing. No retail conspiracy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Give them this guy's number.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I always give fake numbers when the information is non-essential.  Garbage in garbage out.

Radio Shack does not need my phone # in order to sell me a spool of solder.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
radio shack is bad for that

Another one is the place I get my haircut. They wanted my name address and phone number. I said "what for, it's just a haircut". she said "so we can send you coupons". She was hot so I relented. A few weeks later I got a coupon for a $5 haircut.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]
While I don't give out much other personal info, it's good to give your ZIP sometimes.  If you're shopping somewhere that doesn't have a store within 100 miles of your home, then you're telling them that people from your area shop there and it might be a good idea to put a store there.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give them this guy's number.

i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh132/jc191482/lifelock.jpg

i should have but i didn't memorize it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Another one is the place I get my haircut. They wanted my name address and phone number. I said "what for, it's just a haircut". she said "so we can send you coupons". She was hot so I relented. A few weeks later I got a coupon for a $5 haircut.

And it probably looked like a $5 haircut too didn't it?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Just lie to them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#18]
770 227 1611

Time and weather in the town I grew up in.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I always give them an old phone number and/or address.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#20]
That LifeLock guy is an NRA member and had a booth at the annual meeting/show in Louisville.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Normal price was $18 and I didn't present the coupon until it was over. Looked fine to me.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I live fairly out in the country.  I went to a mower repair shop/dealer a few weeks ago to get a fuel filter and some fuel line for a tiller.  The guy wanted my name, address, and phone number.  At first he wasn't even going to sell me $5 worth of stuff for cash without my info, but he finally relented.  He said he needed it "in case you bring in a mower to have it worked on."  Why would he need that if I brought in a mower?  Was he planning on delivering it to me when he was done?  When I went to get a new air filter for my mower I went to another shop.

This kind of stuff doesn't surprise me in the city but out here it is kind of unusual.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That LifeLock guy is an NRA member and had a booth at the annual meeting/show in Louisville.

Yea, they advertise in American Rifleman.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#24]
We did it at Carquest.  From what the higher-ups told us, the information is not sold or done anything with.  It is used to keep track of purchases of different customers, for warranties and returns.

Also, you can decline.  There was an option when checking out that the computer asks for the info, the seller can select "customer decline"
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#25]
They do it to target marketing, mailing, tv and print ads. Just say no if you don't want to participate.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#26]
my company asks for zip codes only.. reason is  they can see where their customer base is coming from and put the next store in based on that info.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Me too. I never give it to them. Everytime I go in for a haircut, they can't find me in the computer. They say I get deleted from their system for not having an address or phone #. Fuck em.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Normal price was $18 and I didn't present the coupon until it was over. Looked fine to me.

I was just bustin' on ya man.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I always give out an old cell phone number from about 10 years ago. Other than that I say no thanks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Zip code is mostly for seeing where your customer base is from. Say your store is in zip code 12345 and you get a ton of customers from zip code 12346 which is ten miiles away, you might want to look at the possibility of opening a location in that area.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#31]
For the zip code, I'll give them a random old zip code on the other side of the country(in the Army you move quite a bit).

For the phone or address, I say I don't have one.

Anything more than that, and I leave my shit at the counter.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#32]
1060 W Addison
Chicago IL 60613

It never gets old
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Zip code is mostly for seeing where your customer base is from. Say your store is in zip code 12345 and you get a ton of customers from zip code 12346 which is ten miiles away, you might want to look at the possibility of opening a location in that area.

Then pay for market research like a normal person.  Quit passing the work to the customer.  You want information from me to help you make money, pay me for it.  Otherwise fuck off.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#34]
The handful of stores that ask me for personal information tend to get pushy if I tell them "you don't need that information". Usually if they insist on trying to get it out of me, I tell them "you already have it" and they leave me alone. If they STILL insist, then I get pissed and tell them "you want me to pay for the fucking merchandise or do you want me to walk out of here right now, asshole?"

Needless to say, I don't shop in those places unless there's nowhere else to get what I want.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I was asked for my home phone last week.  I said "6-6-6... oh wait I forget the rest."
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
1060 W Addison
Chicago IL 60613

It never gets old

Wrigley field
classic one!!!!!!!!!1  
very nice

I always give my zip as 90215

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I will give them my zip, but thats it.

They use it to determine were most of their customers are from.

Never give out you phone number.

I would have reported Kohls for the SSN crap, sounds like some teenagers stealing identities for credit cards.

FREE
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#38]
As many have said zip codes are used for research, mostly to see where your customers are coming from to help plan future stores, etc.

I always give my zip, but if they ask for a phone # I always say unlisted......
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I would report them, that is BS for them to want your SSN!!!

Quoted:
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I always make something up.  I never give them the real info, and I don't cause a scene by arguing with the underpaid cashier, who doesn't give a shit either way, about whether it's right or wrong for them to ask.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#41]
It's too early to tell, but this has the potential to be the next Walmart reciept checker meme.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Area code plus 555-1212. I've had several of the retards tell me what a cool number that is to have.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Back in the day when I was ask for two picture ID's I would just ink my thumb and put a print on the back if the check. The clerks were going and most of the managers would get pissed. I told them if it bounces I'm in the system you can find me.

If they ask for an e-mail address I give them a yahoo account. It has a great spam filter.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Marketing. No retail conspiracy.

Bullshit, we know you're in cahoots with them!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I politely say no.  

I do not need to give an excuse, and if they hassle me about it.  Then I do not need to purchase the items from that store.

What really pisses me off is the local supermarket requires your phone number to give you the sale price.  The non sale price is double what a normal store would sell the item at.  Unfortunantly it is the only market within a hour drive (round trip).  So they pretty much have me over a barrel about it.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I just say that I don't speak English
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The handful of stores that ask me for personal information tend to get pushy if I tell them "you don't need that information". Usually if they insist on trying to get it out of me, I tell them "you already have it" and they leave me alone. If they STILL insist, then I get pissed and tell them "you want me to pay for the fucking merchandise or do you want me to walk out of here right now, asshole?"

Needless to say, I don't shop in those places unless there's nowhere else to get what I want.

Radio Shack looks up your previous purchases, how often, etc, by your phone number.  Fine and good.  They will also just skip it if you don't want to give them the number.

But asking for your SS number?  There are only two entities that need your SS number... the IRS and your employer, so he can report your income, pay the IRS your money which he is forced to withhold.

Everyone else?  They can go pound sand.  No way, no how do they need your SS number.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

A resounding BFD. So were/are chuck heston and bill ruger, amanda millward,, george h.w. bush, and joaquin jackson.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:56:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Marketing. I give them the address of Wrigley Field, just like in the Blues Brothers.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Zip and nothing else. Only had one cashier get pushy for my phone # so I walked out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top