Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 1/10/2005 2:00:34 PM EDT

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1516&ncid=1516&e=2&u=/afp/20050110/od_afp/afplifestyleportugal_050110153956

Portuguese eatery just says no to racy mobile phone calls

Mon Jan 10,10:39 AM ET

LISBON (AFP) - A restaurant in Portugal has barred its customers from talking on their mobile telephones after a man had a racy conversation while having a meal at the establishment, a daily newspaper reported.

"He completely forgot that he was in a public place, everyone stopped to listen to the conversation which I can only say was really very sensual," the owner of the restaurant, Carlos Fernandes, told Correio da Manha.

Diners at the restaurant in the northern city of Guimaraes, located some 350 kilometres (220 miles) northeast of Lisbon, are now asked to leave their mobile phones at the door, turn them off or in case of an emergency, keep them on vibration mode.

"Of course if the conversation is not pleasant, I am the one who pays because the food will not taste as good and it will seem like it is a problem of the restaurant," Fernandes said.

Portugal has one of the highest rates of mobile ownership in the European Union (news - web sites), with more than nine million portable phone owners.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:02:23 PM EDT
That is disturbing. I don't think phones should be banned, but kick him the fuck out. I don't wanna hear that shit for any reason, especially when I'm eating.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:06:39 PM EDT
Don't ban phones, ban idiots.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:09:47 PM EDT

"Of course if the conversation is not pleasant, I am the one who pays because the food will not taste as good and it will seem like it is a problem of the restaurant," Fernandes said.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:10:54 PM EDT
When cellphones are outlawed, only outlaws will have phone sex.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:11:55 PM EDT
I guess the days of blowjobs under the table have been replaced
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:20:46 PM EDT
banning shit isnt the answer.. if some guy was masturbating in the restaurant, would they ban men ?  

Or if a woman flung her bra into the kitchen, would they not allow bras into the restaurant?

damn liberals
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:28:39 PM EDT
What the hell was slick Willy doing in Lisbon???
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:30:46 PM EDT
Well, I personally think it's very low class to have PERSONAL conversations when you're in a public place within earshot of others.   No one wants to hear your personal conversations.

And if the owner of a restaurant wants to have you turn off your device in his place, so be it.  It's HIS place.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:16:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
Well, I personally think it's very low class to have PERSONAL conversations when you're in a public place within earshot of others.   No one wants to hear your personal conversations.
Bingo . This is the exact reason I will not own a cell phone .

And if the owner of a restaurant wants to have you turn off your device in his place, so be it.  It's HIS place.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:24:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zack3g:
That is disturbing. I don't think phones should be banned, but kick him the fuck out. I don't wanna hear that shit for any reason, especially when I'm eating.

What if a hot woman was doing it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:59:36 PM EDT
Bounce the piece of shit.  It is amazing that some organizations can't find that to be a solution...

I'm sure if the guy had his schlong in his hand it would not be too difficult to let him know that the police are on the way to here his side of the story.  Sometimes that's all it takes.  Otherwise, where the fuck was the Manager to toss this schlub?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:44:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:

my philosophy at the bar is never to compete with a cell phone.  if you wanna talk, that's fine.  but don't expect me to stand there, making every other bar guest wait for their drinks, just because you can't hang up the phone.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:10:10 PM EDT
I hate when people talk on cellphones in public.  The worst is when I'm around friends and one of them just decides to answer the phone and carry on a conversation without leaving the vicinity.
I don't really care either way if people talk on cellphones while eating alone.  At least it's not a danger to those around them, like the assholes who talk on the phone while behind the wheel.  Nothing sucks more than that bitch driving her H2 (or some other assholemobile) 55 in a 65 in the left lane while she blabs away on her cellphone oblivious to all the people flipping her the bird as they pass on the right.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:51:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 10mmFan:
What the hell was slick Willy doing in Lisbon???

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:56:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MMcCall:

+1

I talk on my phone at eating places while waiting on food.

Why??

Because Im there alone, you might have your GF/Wife/Kinds with you, Im alone so its just me, Im not going to sit there with nothing to do, Im going to call my friend up and see what he is doing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:15:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MMcCall:

+1
Top Top