Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2018 10:04:11 AM EDT
One of my first purchases when I got my new mirrorless is an extra batt or two and a wall charger.

My sony just came with a cable that plugs into the camera to charge it..... fucking worthless, who charges their cameras like that?

I bought a Wasabi charger and two batts and they have been nothing but trouble.  The batteries will deplete themselves when left in your camera.  My original Sony batt doesn't do that.

Any ideas?  An OEM Sony battery is $54 on amazon... fuck that...
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Give B&H a call.  They might have options for you.   I got a couple batteries for my Pentax DSLR from them and they have been working great for years.  Half the price than the Pentax-branded one.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I am a heavy Nikon D7100 & D5200 camera user, and I find that factory batteries last way longer, I have also used B&H house batteries they cost way less but don't last nearly as long as the factory one. So.... for non-critical shooting, I used off-brand batteries, but for important shoots I use factory ones.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Found this on BH Photo.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/836864-REG/watson_b_4228_np_fw50_lithium_ion_battery_pack.html

Half the price of Sony batts.

I'll buy one and see how it performs.  My Wasabi batts will get tossed in the bottom of  my bag for emergencies.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the original Sony DSC RX100.  I had the same issue with no supplied charger.  I bought a couple of Wasabi batteries and a charger.  The batteries and charger have been working fine for a number of years.  I use Wasabi batteries for my Canon DSLRs as well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not willing to risk my many thousands of dollars of camera equipment over saving a few bucks on a battery.

OEM only, thanks.

Also interesting to note, there have been cases where things like firmware updates have broken compatibility with third party batteries and accessories.
View Quote
A shit battery could only hurt hardware if it could not supply the correct output voltage consistently.  Our camera's can have failsafes for that, no?
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a Nikon grip that would not recognise non OE batteries.

Its your gear, bet it how you like.

Oh, and ask those people severely burned by Chinese low bidder batteries in their cell phones and vapes if messing up the electronics is the worst they can do.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Wasabi batteries in my Lumix. No issues for several years in my previous model. I do use the Lumix charger to charge them, not the Wasabi. They work fine.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:04:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not willing to risk my many thousands of dollars of camera equipment over saving a few bucks on a battery.

OEM only, thanks.

Also interesting to note, there have been cases where things like firmware updates have broken compatibility with third party batteries and accessories.
View Quote
+1 on OEM only.  Not worth the trouble of potentially losing my warranty or having an insurance issue should something happen with them.  The batteries themselves have protection built in, so I'm not sure about the camera side.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Got a free Watson with my D610. Did not take a charge at all. If I decide I need extra batteries I'll just get the OEM ones.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1 on OEM only.  Not worth the trouble of potentially losing my warranty or having an insurance issue should something happen with them.  The batteries themselves have protection built in, so I'm not sure about the camera side.
View Quote
Quoted:
My personal experience with Watson is that they simply do not have the same charge cycle lifespan as OEM Nikon.
Within a year or less they are not getting typical runtimes from a charge.

I use only OEM now, and really try to make an effort to effectively rotate my batteries to avoid unequal use and charging.
View Quote
Quoted:
Got a free Watson with my D610. Did not take a charge at all. If I decide I need extra batteries I'll just get the OEM ones.
View Quote
*Looks at a Watson batt and charger still in box*

Damn, I guess I will just bite the bullet and get another OEM batt.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top