Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2002 7:04:12 AM EDT
Phil Ryan, owner of the Collin County Gun Range, is running for the at-large city council seat. Collin County is one of the few remaining Dallas-area ranges that allows IPSC, IDPA, 3-gun, and use of FMJ ammo. Until a recent city ordinance, they also allowed full-auto as well.

A recent city ordinance caused Mr. Ryan's range to be shut down Sundays and have added so many regulations to comply with that its questionable whether the range can survive. Coincidentally, the city has plans for a large airport extension project that would benefit many existing city council members and their families - though the plans show the project running right through the existing range - which would have to move or be sold before those plans could move forward.

This is an excellent chance to remove one of the council members that supported this restrictive range ordinance and replace him with one that supports your rights (gun and property). If you aren't a resident of McKinney, the campaign still needs donations as the Ryan family is about bled dry from the legal fight with the city over the range ordinance.

[url]http://www.ryan4council.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Collin County Gun Range was originally in an unincorporated area of Collin County, but the city of McKinney annexed that area so they could expand the airport. They then passed a new law restricting the operations of gun ranges [b]except for the McKinney Police range.[/b] They get a pass, so they don't have to operate under the draconian measures of this ordinance.

Phil used to have the whole sordid story on the range website, but it's gone now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
And what frosts my butt is the fact the State passed a gun range protection act while all this was going on. It didnt help them out any though. I attended the first council meeting on this and it was clear then that the range was going to get railroaded and they did. I know that TSRA helped out greatly in this fight but did the NRA do much???
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#3]
They got a $10,000 donation to help cover legal fees if I remember correctly but I don't know whether that came from TSRA or NRA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top