Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 5:18:20 PM EDT
What says ye?

I tend to be a bit more reserved.. I only talk about my personal life with certain people (close knit), espically at work. I rarely talk about anything about myself.. but tend to ask things of other people.

I think this has harmed me a great deal in terms of having a large group of social friends, I'll hang out/do stuff with people, but, would rarely intiate anything.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Painfully shy.  Dislike crowds, "normal" social situations(ie: small talk, how's the weather bullshit), socially awkward as hell, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Outgoing and would give the shirt off my back when I get to know someone or am accepted into a group.  The Catch 22 is that I avoid situations that lead to meeting people.

Yeah, I'm fucked up.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Painfully shy.  Dislike crowds, "normal" social situations(ie: small talk, how's the weather bullshit), socially awkward as hell, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Outgoing and would give the shirt off my back when I get to know someone or am accepted into a group.  The Catch 22 is that I avoid situations that lead to meeting people.

Yeah, I'm fucked up.  

Were you picked on as a kid?

Just wonderin.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Around people I really know and like....outgoing

everywhere else....pretty reserved
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm like Airwolf, but with one extra: I don't like people.  Therefore I don't want to be around them unless I know them, but then if I don't go near them I don't get to know them.  I have few regrets regarding this though, seeing how most people are fooking stupid and fake around here, I'd be perfectly happy being alone, and I appreciate the friends I do have.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The key to life is "creating the appropriate illusion"

The older I get the more this becomes true.  The world is full of idiots and often times they are your boss or someone else that is in a position to rule over you.

Just make the illusion you are smart/successful/qualified to that dumbass and life is cake.  It doesn't matter if you are actually smart/successful/qualified, just that they think you are.

That said being quite and never interacting with the sheeple means you never create this illusion.  I always try and make small talk, and engage the sheep.  It’s good for picking up chicks, because chicks dig "non conformists" aka the alpha type male.  It also means you are showing initiative, adaptation and salesmanship which potential employers look for.

But some days I don't talk to anyone.  I have a pissed off look on my face the whole time.  That’s when I most get hit on by chicks.   Maybe it makes me look older, I don't know...

I vote a mix...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Very reserved.  

I hate people.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I can disappear in a room with only 2 people.

And I like it that way.

Guess that would make me ‘reserved.’

But there are things that will get me wrapped around the axle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm fucked up.  

Just wonderin.

I'm sorry but show me any person that wasn't picked on as a kid.  Or did you mean A LOT?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Reserved.  Extremely reserved.  I generally find people to be douchebags and morons, plus I have no pressing need to interact with others on a regular basis; thus I avoid their company.  I'm usually not comfortable with a person unless I am A: the proper amount of drunk (too little and I'm still reserved, too much and I am both inconsiderate, incomprehensible and somewhat scary) or B: in their company for more than 20 hours.  I take a while to warm up to people (and most folks I don't really warm up to at all.)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Extremely outgoing around men and friends, but horribly shy and reserved around women I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Around guys, co-workers, staff, I am outgoing.  

Around girls, I am as akward and reserved as they come.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Mix, with a tendency towards the reserved.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Kinda outgoing online if there is such a thing..

Very reserved in person
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I just tend to mind my own business because meeting new people usually means having to talk about some bullshit I dont care about, and therefore have no knowledge of, so I guess their first impression is I'm some kind of weirdo.
For example, we just got some new people at work, and after the usual questions like "how long have you worked here" etc etc, , the next round of questions are shit like  "who do you want to win Amercan Idol?", "did you hear the new Jessica Simpson song?", "what kind of music do you listen to?"
When I tell them I dont really watch TV and I'm not really sure who Jessica Simpson is, they usually look at me like I'm some kind of freak.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm fucked up.  

Just wonderin.

I'm sorry but show me any person that wasn't picked on as a kid.  Or did you mean A LOT?

Did OK until Jr. High.  Packed on the weight, zits (was always nerdy - just got nerdier) and wore ugly glasses.  Got a big target painted on my back because of it.  This was the late 60's-early 70's.  You were a jock, a stoner or a nerd.  There was almost nothing in between that I remember.  Jr. High was a nightmare.  High School was the nothing but 4 years of Hell on Earth.

Only recently got a handle on the weight issues and why I suffered with it for so long (hint: 90% of it in my head going back to those times).  I've also learned over the years that very few people that you cross paths with are worth giving a damn about.  They really don't give a shit about you when push comes to shove.  I'm one of those "nice guys" you read about here and end up in the place you expect... last.

Spent some time with my ex-wife and kids over the holiday.  First time we'd exchanged more that a few sentences at a time in nearly 10 years.  She asked me "Do you like being alone?"  Had to think about it a bit.  My response?  "Yes, about 90% of the time."  More options, more freedom.  It's the 10% that really drives you to the depths of despair
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a bit reserved even around people I do know.  Pretty much my coworkers are my friends.  Don't have time right now to go do something where I might make more friends.  Doesn't help that most people my age seem to just want to talk about "pop" culture(TV shows, latest songs by such and such person), which I absolutely ignore.  Turn off most people by saying I don't watch TV and I don't listen to music.

It's alright with me.  I prefer being by myself anyway.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm fucked up.  

Just wonderin.

Did OK until Jr. High.  Packed on the weight, zits (was always nerdy - just got nerdier) and wore ugly glasses.  Got a big target painted on my back because of it.  This was the late 60's-early 70's.  You were a jock, a stoner or a nerd.  There was almost nothing in between that I remember.  Jr. High was a nightmare.  High School was the nothing but 4 years of Hell on Earth.

Only recently got a handle on the weight issues and why I suffered with it for so long (hint: 90% of it in my head going back to those times).  I've also learned over the years that very few people that you cross paths with are worth giving a damn about.  They really don't give a shit about you when push comes to shove.  I'm one of those "nice guys" you read about here and end up in the place you expect... last.

Spent some time with my ex-wife and kids over the holiday.  First time we'd exchanged more that a few sentences at a time in nearly 10 years.  She asked me "Do you like being alone?"  Had to think about it a bit.  My response?  "Yes, about 90% of the time."  More options, more freedom.  It's the 10% that really drives you to the depths of despair

Google fleshlight.

Satisfied customer here...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#18]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Painfully shy. Dislike crowds, "normal" social situations(ie: small talk, how's the weather bullshit), socially awkward as hell, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Outgoing and would give the shirt off my back when I get to know someone or am accepted into a group. The Catch 22 is that I avoid situations that lead to meeting people.

Yeah, I'm fucked up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't Feel Bad.......   You Ain't The Only One!!!!!........
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:37:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I have absolutely no problem talking to anyone.
Men or women.
Its just when I have very little in common with the person
I'm having a conversation with, I feel its like pulling teeth
for both of us.
I think it makes me look like I'm acting aloof or have
disdain for that person, but I really don't.
Sometimes the person I'm talking to ends up hating me.
I guess I should start talking mindless, inane BS a lot more.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:17:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Will have no problem fitting in ... on the other hand, I shy away from getting into situations I know I will not be comfortable in.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Am silent by nature... but I can do a seamless *imitation* of a lively charming woman when the ( "not my choice of company" business/ social) situation calls for it.  The only time I am entirely comfortable interacting with run-of-the-mill people is when I am issuing directives.

I mean, really *why on this green earth* would I want to interact 'un-reservedly' with sheeple?  To watch their mouths gape when I don't have a clue about who just may make the newest American Idol?

Sure I can let my hair down and cut up with a very small handful of been there, done that folks.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:17:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I've always felt like I didn't fit in anywhere. High school was a nightmare for me, and I wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy; I was always made fun of and I felt like the ugly ducking.

College was much better, and I made friends that I still talk to today.

I have never had a lot of self-confidence. I am able to feign I do during most social occasions. I have no problem going places on my own, but I'd like to have a bigger social group to pick from. It's hard to find people who give a damn and care about a relationship as much as you do to make an effort to keep in touch and get togther every once in a while.

It has been kind of difficult these past few months. I moved from Ohio to VA knowing a handful of people--all of which don't go out and do anything (I'm not talking skanky clubs, just grabbing a beer, catching a band, shooting some pool). I have managed to snag a boyfriend, but we don't hang out the entire weekend, so when I'm on my own I usually end up pissed off and bored if I don't go out somewhere by myself (which I don't do anymore because I've had a few bad experiences with that, of late).

I hate being shy, but my interests are not that of the general population, so it's hard to meet people to mesh with.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:57:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I not too shy, just don't have much to say.  If i have something to say, i'll say it.  I hate it when someone i don't know just starts talking to me about shit i don't care about.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Why not GET BOTH?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm fucked up.  

Just wonderin.

As in... you were bullied.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top