Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2003 2:56:57 PM EDT
My department is looking into starting a Reserve Officer Program. We are needing some guidance about policy and procedure. I am needing to speak with someone about the application process also. If your department has such a program, please contact me. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Sergeant Bobby V. Inman
University of North Alabama
Department of Public Safety
Box 5067
706 Waterloo Road
Florence, AL 35632
(256) 765-4357 Office
(256) 765-4827 Fax
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Reserve programs are great.....when used. It is a great starting point for people wanting to get a foot in the door into law enforcement.

Applications are the same as those wishing to become fulltime/paid Officers. The hiring process is also similar, except for the agility test, physical, and pysch testing. Full background investigations and criminal histories are performed, as well as department interviews. The police commission board typicall interviews fulltime/paid candidates, but for reserves they are just presented the info from the PD and the board just has to give its grace/ok.

The reserves must complete a basic 40 hour state law/firearms certifying class that all fulltimers must also pass after being sworn in.
Reserves must also qualify the same as fulltimers during firearms training. Our dept has a 14 week FTO training program, for reserves and fulltimers. The time may be shortened or lengthened pending on the individuals progress and knowledge.

Our department has 15 fulltime officers. We used to have 5 reserves, but are down to only one now. The problem is, all these people thought it was great to have a badge and weapon, but would never come out and work. We now mandate that each reserve must come out a minimum of 10 hour a month, which is NOTHING.
Reserves who work our town court do get paid also.

I wish we had more reserves, willing ones at that. We currently have 5 on the wish list but the commission says we are broke and cant spend any money to uniform them.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a reserve. I've only been doing it 5 months. So I'm sure that there are those with much more info than I can offer.

We have about 35 reserves in a department of a couple hundred full time, not counting the corrections personnel which is another couple hundred sworn.

the reserves go through a 350 hr academy and must perform 16 hrs of service per month plus certain mandatory special events.

my academy class was hosted by my agency and had 28 recruits.  about  1/2 were ours and 1/2 were other agencies in the area.  It is a multi-agency academy, not sure how the money works.

most people are in the reserves trying to get hired full time somewhere.  so expect a high turn over – I can see that coming already.  on the other hand there are those people like myself with day jobs and no expectations of changing careers to become full time.

My advice would be to not make any concession or lower any standards in your hiring practices.  If you aren’t comfortable trusting your reserves to have a gun, drive a vehicle, write citations, etc. THEN DON’T HIRE THEM, don’t strap you reserves down with silly regulations that make them ineffective or place them in danger.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Sgt830-

First thing you need to do is get in contact with the local county/city attourney and find out the State's requirements.  Here in Iowa, the law mandates that reserve officers must have 120 hours over 2 years.  My rsrv unit get 120 hours in 9 months.

Next, you have to decide to what capacity you want the rsrv deputies to perform at.  My unit does not allow rsrv deputies to ever act alone.  We do not patrol in squad cars.  We only ride "shotgun" with "sworn deputies" when thay are short handed and need more people (quite often).  My unit is trained in crowd control, riot control, and traffic control as our main duties.  But, we also get every bit of training as the swon deputies do, including OC chem to the face.  All of our training comes from certified instructors from within the Sheriff's Office.  

Then, you have to decide where your funding will come from.  Donations, fundrasiers, hand-me-downs from the parent agency...  lots of things to think about.  Dont forget to get an opinion from the agency's officers on how they view reserve deputies.  I know that many sworn officers frown upon rsrv officers.

Good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top