Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 4:31:05 PM EDT
I want to get a bicycle, to take rides with the g/f and to up my cardio and workout because i'm going to Marine OCS this summer in PLC. Plan to ride it to school as well and maybe to work if i can land a job close by.

I'm in Orlando and dont know of any Bike shops, so i went to walmart and saw a couple of bikes that looked ok. Im only able to spend $150 too, so that is a factor.

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3663046

Which is just at $150

and

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4029278

and

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4016707

Which type of bike would be the best workout? Or better for long distances, say up to 10-20 miles? Will a mountain bike still be ok to ride on the sidewalk/street and not fatigue me quickly compared to the street bike i am looking at? Or is that not really a factor?

And lastly, what do you guys think of the bikes im looking at? Opinions on which i should get/stay away from?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a pretty big guy (6'6" 250), so I really enjoy the front and rear suspension on the mountain bike I have. I ride it 12.5mi. to work one way in the city. no problems at all. Of those you showed, I would pick the one with the most rugged frame, and run one of the gel seats or covers as it will really help.

ETA: the tougher wheel of the mountian bikes might be better for going up and down curbs too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top